Why become a member? ×

New from Fender........maybe.

Jonesy

Came across an article from guitar.com (I know, I feel dirty but it popped up in my feed. I don't regularly go there. Honest) that reckons a new Meteora is on the way, not just with 6 strings, but as a bass too! 

It's all originally from another forum, so who knows if it's true, but here's a link and some pics....

https://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121559

I really like the Meteora shape and reckon these look cool. Just wish they were passive (maybe there's an active/passive switch?) and Fender made them outside of what looks to be the player plus line. They'd make a good design to go after the t'bird market.

fendermet02-1643145771365_500x.jpg

232191172.png

327530080.png

• Like 6

I still have my doubts, but I do like the shape...definitely different.

As for active, I have to agree. Why, Fender, why?

Some people are saying these are the same pickups they used for the American Deluxe Dimension basses, even though they don't quite look the same, but I haven't heard anything about the Meteoras being 18 volt.

Regardless, the Dimensions weren't exactly successful, so if these basses do come out, will they sell and stick around or will they disappear soon?

Are they going to be limited edition basses?

Other than that, is Fender actually hoping bassists will buy them because they like the way they look?

That didn't work with the Meteora guitars.

I wont be buying one, maybe I would if they were passive, but probably not, because I'm more than happy with this slightly different look.

Reverend Thundergun...passive, pure and powerful...and I'm betting the Meteoras simply won't sound as good.

PicsArt_09-15-01.20.41.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 2

I don't want to get into the inevitable debate on "at least it's not another P!" "But everything else they do never sells".

I think it looks great, a bit Thunderbird, a bit of the ESP type thing going on. They won't make one upside down for us lefties, but if they did and it came from MIM at £700 or less I'd be very tempted. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cato said:

The bass looks like it might be a bit neck divey though.

My first thought upon seeing this new design, too.

The top horn needs to extend towards the twelfth fret, otherwise with a traditional Fender-style headstock it will neck dive in a very annoying manner. 

This new shape will also mean that the neck will feel further away than on a traditional Fender bass when the bass is on a strap.

Those things,(along with a so-so  Fender preamp) were what undermined the Dimension Bass, in my opinion. It's a shame, because I think bass players would be very receptive to new designs from Fender, if only they were the right designs. If they could make it feel like a Fender there is plenty of scope for new sounds. Get it right and they would sell plenty.

So many times Fender try to recycle old parts from previous experiments into so-called new models only to fail yet again.😟

Edited by Misdee
  • Like 3

Shame they put the twin J pickups in - that'll make changing them really difficult. I actually quite like the look of it though, as well as the non-boring colours. I think neck dive will be OK as top horn goes to 14th fret.

Definitely up to try one out.

5 hours ago, SonnyBassPlayer said:

The body shape looks really cool on bass, but the standard Fender headstock shape seems oversize compared to the sleek body. A tele-style or an unholy (for a Fender) Peavey T-40 style headstock would have matched that body much better IMVHO.

1643899042333.png

Edited by jd56hawk
  • Like 7

The odd bit of neck dive doesn't bother me much and I'm more used to non fender shapes anyway. 

I think its good as is design wise, though agree that an upside down tele headstock would be better. If it was Player series and passive humbuckers then I'd be very tempted!