Why become a member? ×

One of each collection

la bam

Afternoon all,

I'm trying to thin the bass collection at the moment, so I have had an idea..... rather than keep a couple of precisions, jazzes etc which i like, I thought I'd try and settle / look for one of each of the main types of bass guitar - the groundbreaking ones.

Trouble is I keep changing my mind over what the main innovations are.

So far I have thought of:

Precision

Jazz

Stingray (not got one yet)

Headless (hohner b2a)

What others have I missed? Or what would be in your 'one of each' collection. I'm not talking basses that are slightly different from the above, but really different in their own right, whether it be hardware, sound, looks etc.

Edited by la bam

I tend tend to keep them to certain genres, but pretty much could use any of them whenever:

Current stock:

Spector Euro 4LX - Does most things, very bright and punchy. Tends to be the primary choice but not if I want something more old school.

Yamaha BB415 - Passive 5 string, good substitute for Fender P/J sounds.

Cort GB95 - Has J/MM pickups, so can mimic Fender/Musicman sounds. Interchanges with the above BB.

Yamaha RBXJM2 - 6 string with MM pickup in the right spot. Used for any B tuned metal or a more convincing Stingray sound.

Fender Precision - Has flats, don't use it much but it was a gift. Tends to be my 'learning a song' bass so I don't faff with the tone, just learn the song.

40 minutes ago, cetera said:

Fender P

Fender J

Spector NS2

Steinberger XL

Musicman Stingray

Rickenbacker 4001

Gibson Thunderbird

Wal Custom

Pedulla fretless

That’s pretty much the list that I’d of come up with. 

With the possible addition of an Aria SB1000

• Like 1

Let's take a short look at the history of the bass. Then it might be easier to choose some groundbreaking instruments.

Gamba family: fretless or frets, multi-string instruments

double bass: fretless or frets, multi-string instruments

1910 Gibson: Mandobass

1931 George Beauchamp & Adolph Rickenbacker: frying pan and the horseshoe pickup

1936 Audiovox: fretted electric bass

1940's Ampeg (amplified peg)

1951 Clarence Leo Fender: Tele bass, bolt-on, single coil pickup, simple electronics (scale length is now 9" longer than in a g-word and 8" shorter than of a double bass')
1953 Gibson: glued in set neck
1956 Danelectro's baritone g-words, masonite bodies, and 24-fret necks
1957 Rickenbacker: neck-through-body (Rick-O-Sound came later)

early 1960's: Ovation develops a piezo pickup

1963 Burns makes trials with active electronics

1964 Bob Murrell makes an instrument - Guitorgan - with split frets, and six voice polyphony

1966 Vox: V251 (G-word Organ)

1966 Rotosound and roundwound strings

1966 Fender produces the first long scale five string bass (tuned: EADGC)

1966 Ampeg's fretless Ampeg AUB-1

1967 Hagström H8

1969 Ron Hoag presents an optical infrared pickup in NAMM

1970 Ampeg Dan Armstrong (perspex)
1971 Alembic and its electronics
1974 Travis Bean: TB2000 (Al neck)

1974 Carl Thompson: piccolobass

1975 Carl Thompson: six string contra bass (tuned: BEADGC)
1976 Alembic: 5-string (tuned: BEADG)

1976 Geoff Gould: Modulus Graphite neck-through-body, no truss rod

1976 Alembic: stainless steel fretless fretboard

1976 EMG founded

1976 Ampeg and Hagström: Patch 2000

1977 Ned Steinberger designs an ergonomic NS-1 to Stuart Spector

1977 Roland produces bass synthesizer

1978 Steinberger makes a wooden headless bass, which is a disaster - covering it with glass fibre helps

1978 Steinberger releases active L-1, and L-2 (EMG) and passive H-1, and H-2 (DiMarzio) models

early 1980's: Philip Kubicki Ex Factor

early 1980's: Vigier fretless Delta metal fretboard

1985 Steve Chick: split fret neck and a functional MIDI bass (remember: Guitorgan)

2002 Line6 Variax: modeling instruments

Novax fanned frets, Auerswald, Lane Poor Minima, Gittler, Stash, Lightwave Systems optical pickups, Spalt, Little G-word Works - Torzal...

Now, what would you choose to your list?

20 hours ago, la bam said:

Afternoon all,

I'm trying to thin the bass collection at the moment, so I have had an idea..... rather than keep a couple of precisions, jazzes etc which i like, I thought I'd try and settle / look for one of each of the main types of bass guitar - the groundbreaking ones.

Precision

Jazz

Headless (hohner b2a)

What others have I missed? Or what would be in your 'one of each' collection. I'm not talking basses that are slightly different from the above, but really different in their own right, whether it be hardware, sound, looks etc.

“I’m trying to thin the herd.  What bass shall I buy?”  Basschat in a nutshell.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

21 hours ago, la bam said:

Afternoon all,

Precision

Jazz

Headless (hohner b2a)

Dean Exotica acoustic bass, one the older models with the Aphex System electronics, Aural Exciter and Big-Bottom Sound...no other acoustic bass made has the Aphex System.

Don't buy into that "You can't really hear an acoustic bass without and amp" bs, because you can't hear a Stingray without and amp, either.

You see, I believe in the MTV Unplugged school of thought...plug in!

FB_IMG_1620429151134.jpg

Edited by jd56hawk

23 hours ago, la bam said:

Afternoon all,

Precision

Jazz

Headless (hohner b2a)

Another Precision - one for flats, one for roundwound...

A Ric or a Thunderbird.

I am reminded of this Garfield comic strip that carries the punchline 'It's not the having, it's the getting.'  Better still, Wayne Corinne from Chasing Classic Cars ('It's the thrill of the chase.')

We could all draw up a shortlist of the usual workhorse suspects (Precision, Jazz, Stingray, Thunderbird), plus a few vanity projects (Spector NS, Kubicki Ex-Factor and so on), but trust me, once you own all  these, your eye will ALWAYS wander.  There will always be other fish.

image.thumb.png.3c87d5bec180eb1a96510e507ac78171.png

• Like 2