Why become a member? ×

Flats - why do many rave about them

Guest BassAdder27

8 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Oh for cod's sake you lot. This is a discussion about strings, and these fishy puns are distracting from the flow of conversation. Shoaly you can see that? There's a time and a plaice for this sort of thing. I trout it will stop you tho. Hhhhh

I like Albacores anyway, they have a nice tench on.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Not sure why this string noise issue is getting so confrontational.  Me, I just like to hear what other players have to say 🙂

Me neither Mike, I have both on my basses (not at the same time of course). i will be honest I don't like either. I hate the tension of most flats and the string noise and extra friction of most rounds. I know my technique is lacking and I am trying to improve  it but until  I can get a round with no string noise or lower tension flats, I will continue to hate both equally.

Edited by Chienmortbb

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

Me neither Mike, I have both on my basses (not at the same time of course). i will be honest I don't like either. I hate the tension of most flats and the string noise and extra friction of most rounds. I know my technique is lacking and I am trying to improve  it but until  I can get a round with no string noise or lower tension flats, I will continue to hate both equally.

Sounds like a job for TI Flats!  Give them a try.

I know, I sound like a stuck record.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

It`s strange but whenever I put a set of flats on a bass I get more string noise for a while, but it does go as I adapt my playing to them, seems either flats make me play better/more precisely, or rounds just let me get away with a lot more. Maybe it`s because I`m much more used to rounds, who knows?

3 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Also sounding like a stuck record but ..... Galli Synthesis flats (from bass direct) are low tension. 

12 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Has anyone ever installed flats to find they are dead ? I know it can be a problem with rounds but does this also apply to flats? 

Really annoying is when one string is dead. However, some brands "design-in" a duller sounding low E string as part of the mystique. Intentionally thuddy from the outset. I seem to recall Pyramid flats having this.