Why become a member? ×

Flats - why do many rave about them

Guest BassAdder27

29 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest they might be available from other vendors.

Bax and Thomann according to a quick Google search. Couldn’t see any other UK based supplier other than BD, but I didn’t look too hard.

Put a set of chromes on my Ray 34 with hybrid pickups a couple of days ago. I’ve always liked this bass but the tone I was expecting has always eluded me (hence multiple mods including fitting the Delano hybrid pickups). With the chromes it’s finally getting there. A flat eq sounds like a flat eq and eq adjustment now makes sense and does what I expect it to. Not tried it with the band yet but looking forward to doing so.

On 22/12/2021 at 10:38, BlueMoon said:

Really annoying is when one string is dead. However, some brands "design-in" a duller sounding low E string as part of the mystique. Intentionally thuddy from the outset. I seem to recall Pyramid flats having this.

GHS Precision flats were like this too, the E string sounds nicely broken-in from the outset, whereas the others take a few weeks before they lose the zing. 

• Like 1

On 25/12/2021 at 08:00, Waddycall said:

Put a set of chromes on my Ray 34 with hybrid pickups a couple of days ago. I’ve always liked this bass but the tone I was expecting has always eluded me (hence multiple mods including fitting the Delano hybrid pickups). With the chromes it’s finally getting there. A flat eq sounds like a flat eq and eq adjustment now makes sense and does what I expect it to. Not tried it with the band yet but looking forward to doing so.

I used Chromes on my Sterling for about ten years - the same set - which I loved. I had GHS Precision flats on the Stingray I sold recently and they were a wonderful match. 

Edited by Quatschmacher

One thing that I have recently discovered, at least to me anyway, is that flats sound terrible through IEMs.

I've tried Chromes on my active Jazz and Roto 77s on my passive Precision and they're absolutely awful. They lack any kind of character and sound really wooly.

I'm using my Radial Bassbone, Behringer P1 and KZ AS10 IEMs

Put rounds on either bass and they come alive again.

It could be simply because I'm using a set of £35 Ali Express IEMs but I'd rather spend £18 on a set of strings that I am happy with every 8 or 9 gigs than risk £1000+ with a set of custom IEMs that might still not give me what I'm after.

BTW I'm really happy with the IEMs. Took a few gigs to get used to them but am really enjoying it now

5 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Can anyone give me an example of a rock or hard rock band where the bass player uses flats?

Bar Iron Maiden. 

Starter for ten:

Pino - NiN, John Mayer

Early Geezer

John Paul Jones back in't early days

Robert De Leo - STP

Your man from Greta Van Fleet

2 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Standard Internet wisdom seems to be that Cliff Williams uses Chromes in the studio 

Yes I’ve read that he uses, in his words, “wires” only for live use, preferring chromes for recording.

After my successful experience of just changing the G, I have followed through and put a  full set of Rotosound 77 Jazz 40-100 flats on my J. Interestingly the neck didn’t move at all compared to the 45-105 rounds, so I didn’t even have to tweak the truss rod.

I like them for doing the Jazz exercises I have been practicing, it’s a more mellow sound (and no finger squeaks) and the initial pluck of the note seems more prominent compared to rounds, so it’s a tip of the hat to the attack of a double bass.

• Like 1

On 05/01/2022 at 09:25, Supernaut said:

Can anyone give me an example of a rock or hard rock band where the bass player uses flats?

Bar Iron Maiden. 

Roger Glover in the MkII Deep Purple Days

Phil Lesh of Grateful Dead (career-long, as I understand)

Jack Casady of Jefferson Airplane (not sure about post-Airplane though)

Ben Sheppard of Soundgarden

The bassist in Pearl Jam who's name eludes me... Jeff Ament?