Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

1 minute ago, Al Krow said:

I guess we are very lucky with ours then. He's first love is Death Metal and can play loud! But when he's playing in covers bands he is super professional and will do whatever the venue needs - he completely gets that the volume of the band is pretty much dictated by the need to match the acoustic drums.

It depends on what type of music you are playing and (more importantly) what are the expectations of your audience. 

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

He's first love is Death Metal and can play loud! But when he's playing in covers bands he is super professional

Similar experience here.  Our previous drummer would be playing softly swinging background music in a garden wedding marquee one weekend, then touring German festivals playing to however many 10,000s of people with his rap metal band the next.

• Like 1

I think more of us are not back to gigging than those who are. t could be that we just don't play venues which have outdoor space so nothing is on the horizon as well as there being varying levels all over the country. I'm happy for those who can play but don't see any real chance of gig's for quite a few months yet.

We have postponed a charity gig at the beginning of July and have nothing else until August. The venue for the charity gig is booked solid from August so having a nightmare trying to tie down a date even in December. These are all gigs that are postponed from the end of June through July that have been moved forward. The venue has been shut since the 1st lockdown so I’d rather wait for an empty date than see them go down the pan through a lack of bookings.
I am hoping that there will be a glut of postponed parties, weddings and functions which will go some way to save some pubs and venues. 

Will pubs even be a thing in the UK after lockdown? 

From what I've seen on social media over the past few months it appears that every single person in the UK has built their own "pub" in their back garden shed. 

All future gigs will now include dodging dog turds and trying not to fall into a koi pond. 

I spoke with our singer last night, as I was surprised our wedding booking for the 26th of June is still going ahead.

Having now read through all the rules/guidance on the government website it looks like the venue have worked at a solution that lets us play

To be honest, I was kinda hoping it was going to be cancelled as it's a fair drive and we've got a dep guitarist we've not used before; but it is nice to know we'll be playing next weekend.

7 hours ago, Graham said:

I spoke with our singer last night, as I was surprised our wedding booking for the 26th of June is still going ahead.

Having now read through all the rules/guidance on the government website it looks like the venue have worked at a solution that lets us play

To be honest, I was kinda hoping it was going to be cancelled as it's a fair drive and we've got a dep guitarist we've not used before; but it is nice to know we'll be playing next weekend.

It's not in Hertfordshire, is it ? I'm going to a family wedding there on 26th.

On 15/06/2021 at 18:36, Al Krow said:

It's touch and go right now, I agree. Fingers crossed for your next couple of gigs. I think those playing outdoors are mostly still good, though? I'm just seeing if I can persuade my missus to go up to a fellow BC'ers outdoor pub gig on 26 June. Should be fun, and he's got a great rig! 

On 15/06/2021 at 19:01, Dad3353 said:

If it's that good, why don't you go yourself..? -_-

... xD :P

Well the missus has been persuaded, so I think I just might be joining her! Colchester here we come 😁

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrisba said:

It's not in Hertfordshire, is it ? I'm going to a family wedding there on 26th.

No, fortunately nor that far a drive 😀 we're at a golf course in Kent not far from the M25

Edited by Graham
  • Like 1

"The UK Health Security Agency's Dr Jenny Harries said: 'Cases are rising rapidly across the country and the Delta variant is now dominant... It is encouraging to see that hospitalisations and deaths are not rising at the same rate.'"

"The continued decline in Covid deaths means the virus is now the 24th 'leading' cause of death, down from ninth last month."

Vaccines work.

• Like 4

We are gigging tomorrow, down in Worsop, max 150 people ticketed gig. It’s inside though which will be interesting and then another up here next weekend. We had 4 cancel for next 4 weeks but all rescheduled and 2 new ones taken to fill cancelled ones which is handy. People are desperate for music.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

I've just been offered another paid gig tomorrow - can't complain about that!

Not enough notice, unfortunately, turns out our guitarist has already got something arranged (nothing to do with music)

56 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Not enough notice, unfortunately, turns out our guitarist has already got something arranged (nothing to do with music)

That's frustrating, but fair enough eh? I mean people having a life on a Saturday night, what is the world coming to? 😁

27 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's a decent result! 

The owner of the bar drums for us - he's good!

I was only asked about tomorrow's gig late this afternoon, unfortunately the guitarist had already got plans for tomorrow.

Edited by FinnDave

On 15/06/2021 at 22:31, jimmyb625 said:

Our Saturday spot is still going ahead.

https://www.beardyfolkfestival.co.uk/

It did indeed go ahead.

The audience were seated in marked areas on the field and were relatively well behaved (given the audience age and the fact that it was a folky festival, the mosh pit was relatively under utilised).

Hopefully, there won't be much of a peak due to this one, fingers crossed.

On another note, Kendal calling has announced their cancellation today ☹

20210619_182711.jpg

• Like 3