Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

We've had our first rehearsal back... oh it was wonderful :) ... A few more in the pipeline, and then our first gig is my son's wedding. No pressure there then. :lol:

I'm playing at my daughter's wedding in August with a band that no longer exists, but some of us will get together in time for the wedding!

That assumes that the bride and groom can actually get there - they are currently locked down in a tower block in Vietnam as one person in the 38 storey building has tested positive for C-19.

• Sad 1

First gig in 15 months done yesterday,  outside seated (mostly 😄) pub garden job. All tables sold out, not gig sharp, but felt so good to get out again. Good sound, good times and we got our singers daughters band to play their first ever gig as support  - they did great!

Looking forward, with fingers crossed!

• Like 2

I'm playing at a sort of 'invited' jam at a local pub tomorrow. It used to be a regular open mic, but now it's resumed they're trying to control the numbers.

But glad to say I've been invited to play. No idea what might come up, but have been brushing up on all the usual suspects. 'Sweet Home Alabama', anyone? 

Anyway,  looking forward to playing live again!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Out of the blue my band have been asked to play a gig for The Edinburgh Jazz & Blues Festival.

It will be filmed in June and streamed in July.

No audience, unfortunately, but I'm thrilled to be back playing with the guys.

Edited by gjones

Just been offered a paid gig in the nearest town, just me & guitarist (bar owner likes to sit in in drums - he is a good drummer). Two weeks time. I phoned the guitarist and he's up for it. We've not played together for about 8 months, so I asked him if he wanted to get together before the gig. "Nah, we'll just wing it", he said 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, FinnDave said:

Just been offered a paid gig in the nearest town, just me & guitarist (bar owner likes to sit in in drums - he is a good drummer). Two weeks time. I phoned the guitarist and he's up for it. We've not played together for about 8 months, so I asked him if he wanted to get together before the gig. "Nah, we'll just wing it", he said 😎

Blues gig then?? 😉 

• Haha 1

Saw my mate's band playing in a village pub garden yesterday. Great to have live music back but the place was rammed and due to the lack of staff they had on we didn't enjoy the 75 minute wait to get served a beer thanks to the table service system that's in place. Gasping!

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Probably!

I used to dep for a blues guitar player who used to ask you to listen to a few songs for the gig, which he would almost always never play but just call out a completely different set to the one he had asked you to learn...! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, peteb said:

I used to dep for a blues guitar player who used to ask you to listen to a few songs for the gig, which he would almost always never play but just call out a completely different set to the one he had asked you to learn...! 

I thought that was standard practice for blues gigs, along with calling a song and then launching into something different, and calling the wrong key.

7 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I thought that was standard practice for blues gigs, along with calling a song and then launching into something different, and calling the wrong key.

Generally not quite that bad, but I have known a guitarist BL to call a tune in a key that it is impossible to sing it in...! 

14 minutes ago, upside downer said:

Saw my mate's band playing in a village pub garden yesterday. Great to have live music back but the place was rammed and due to the lack of staff they had on we didn't enjoy the 75 minute wait to get served a beer thanks to the table service system that's in place. Gasping!

This is my big worry. I’ve seen a few other posts on here like this. We seem - in some places at least - to be rushing back to normality.

I’ve done two jazz gigs recently - the band has a nice little residency - however we have to be tested prior to going in, which means arriving thirty minutes early, we have to wear masks whilst walking about, and maintain social distancing. The number of people watching is limited. Basically everything to mitigate spread of infection.

A friend of mine held an event on Saturday. It was strictly tickets in advance only, and masks and social distancing had to be observed. Those were the venue rules, which seem sensible to me.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2021 at 15:49, Paddy515 said:

After four refresher get togethers, our first gig back tomorrow night  audience seated, drinking and distanced but we shall try to pull out our best performance. Have birthday gigs booked, a wedding and various pub gigs to look forward to between now and Christmas around Lincolnshire. 

Crowd of diners/drinkers were really up for it last night but behaved and remained seated (in the main). Such fun!!!

rev.jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ambient said:

This is my big worry. I’ve seen a few other posts on here like this. We seem - in some places at least - to be rushing back to normality.

I’ve done two jazz gigs recently - the band has a nice little residency - however we have to be tested prior to going in, which means arriving thirty minutes early, we have to wear masks whilst walking about, and maintain social distancing. The number of people watching is limited. Basically everything to mitigate spread of infection.

A friend of mine held an event on Saturday. It was strictly tickets in advance only, and masks and social distancing had to be observed. Those were the venue rules, which seem sensible to me.

We got there at 2 and there was distancing to start with but it was getting a little lax by the time we left at 5. No checks to get in, masks on when walking around. No limit on numbers as far as I could see.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, upside downer said:

We got there at 2 and there was distancing to start with but it was getting a little lax by the time we left at 5. No checks to get in, masks on when walking around. No limit on numbers as far as I could see.

I believe numbers should be limited. They’ll be moaning when it all flares up again.

https://musiciansunion.org.uk/working-performing/coronavirus-guidance/overview-of-covid-19-restrictions-for-musicians

My main band start again on July 10th, although must admit I’m still wondering if that will be possible. The first gig is open air so if the theatre situation doesn’t improve by then it could be our only gig this summer. Fingers crossed.

Just got a new monthly residency in a local pub with my acoustic duo, starting 29th June, again if it’s possible. Really pleased that the landlord has the confidence to book us, so hope we get a good crowd.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sarah5string said:

Our first gig is booked for the 26th June but I'm fully expecting it to get postponed because of this indian variant stuff. 

Same here. Our local pub wanted our band to be the first one back, so we shall see.

Had another practice last night, better than the first. Still seems odd, still haven't practiced with the band who I have a gig with in 3 weeks.

However, the B-Stock ashdown ABM600 I bought in lockdown coupled with either the shuker or the Ibanez EHB1505 both of which I bought in lockdown, going through the B1-Four that I bought in lockdown sound absolutely glorious!

Nice to try these things, and really looking forward to gigging them!

Oh, also my wife was very happy with the XVive U4 wireless IEM that I bought in lockdown (well, arrived yesterday), although it almost didn' tmake the cut as it intefered with the wireless of the X18 mixer (which incidently, I have had for years!) until I changed channel.

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

On 01/06/2021 at 13:02, Sarah5string said:

Our first gig is booked for the 26th June but I'm fully expecting it to get postponed because of this indian variant stuff. 

We've managed to bag a college theatre for a rehearsal tomorrow - first one in the best part of fifteen months -  but I won't be in the least surprised if things shut down again because of it. It's spreading like wildfire.

On the upside, the f---ing Tattoo's been cancelled again. Every cloud, and all that...