Why become a member? ×

Some VERY good news at last - live music back by the Spring?

Al Krow

We had a couple of gigs recently during restrictions that went well. Our next gigs are later in August. Despite the lifting of restrictions I'm concerned about future pub gigs. Loads of people mixing in a crowded poorly ventilated space shouting and singing whilst infection rates soar. Let's see how it pans out over the coming weeks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

It would have so made much more sense if Sterling and Grealish had taken the last two penalties.

Joking aside, that’s the problem right there.

The game went ahead with a crowd of 67,000 because the government is desperate to push the idea of a ‘Global Britain’ (against all evidence) and didn’t want to follow in the footsteps of Brussels & Dublin, which had pulled out (the latter at the last minute due to Covid concerns). There was no way that they or UEFA were going to restrict the crowd, hang the consequences.

To add to this, once it became clear the England had a chance of winning, the government was looking for a significant slice of reflected glory. Ironically, it became a PR disaster following the disgraceful scenes outside the stadium on the day and the players’ reaction to comments made by the PM and (in particular) the Home Secretary. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

Death rates won’t just be lower because of the vaccine.

It would have ripped through the most vulnerable, the most virulent virus form may well have died with the hosts, we know a lot more about how to deal with it.

Its too multi layered to just lay it on one thing.

BUT

Great to hear things like heavy outdoor music in Lidl - here is for safe entertainment for all.

On the pens-I think who took them should have took them if they were the right people, and they probably were. If Sterling and Grealish were better, they would have gone before.

Its just idiots being twits who should probably be castrated to not allow further generations of hatred flourish that create this problem.

20 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Death rates won’t just be lower because of the vaccine.

It would have ripped through the most vulnerable, the most virulent virus form may well have died with the hosts, we know a lot more about how to deal with it.

Its too multi layered to just lay it on one thing.

BUT

Great to hear things like heavy outdoor music in Lidl - here is for safe entertainment for all.

On the pens-I think who took them should have took them if they were the right people, and they probably were. If Sterling and Grealish were better, they would have gone before.

Its just idiots being twits who should probably be castrated to not allow further generations of hatred flourish that create this problem.

Just to mention that the "heavy outdoor music" was from a pub just down the road from Lidl. 

As far as the penalties go, the guys who took them did so because they were the best in training. Unfortunately, it was perhaps a step too far for two young lads with limited experience at that level (no such excuse for Rashford who is a regular penalty taker and has plenty of experience, he just missed - it happens). Maybe they should have left an experienced guy like Henderson on the pitch, just in case. Who knows!

Whoever took them would still have had to beat the giant Donnarumma, the best goalkeeper in the tournament! 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

It would have so made much more sense if Sterling and Grealish had taken the last two penalties.

After all the work Pete and I did to try and get the topic on topic again 🤣

and yes, the band were in a pub next to Lidl, not in the middle aisle 

3 minutes ago, LukeFRC said:

After all the work Pete and I did to try and get the topic on topic again 🤣

and yes, the band were in a pub next to Lidl, not in the middle aisle 

Did they score?

Or, more precisely, what musical score were the band using?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Castration doesn’t just prevent procreation… it calms them down a bit…

… it’s a win/win.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just as an aside it’d be great if the government were actively seeking out and researching the off license use of other established, safe medications to further prevent and treat people with early symptoms and long haul COVID symptoms. Let’s not forget the vaccine is authorized under an emergency use authorization; other medication could be authorised under this same regulation to treat COVID patients - atorvastatin, corticosteroids, ivermectin, Vitamin D.

Sorry back on topic football is great fans can be tw*ts but that’s people for you!

We have been informed that our regular bar will be starting up gigs in August but our fiddle player has decided to call it a day until Jan as she is working on her own business and is super busy. Let’s hope our dep can cover the initial few gigs before *another shut down/*flurry or regular dates in the diary (delete as appropriate).

Having had an outbreak at the school, now we've had an outbreak from the local Football club's bar (people watching the Euro's). It seems to be spreading quite a bit, my parent's neighbours have it, 2 doors down from me have it and so on.

2 members of one of my old bands and myself were trying to get something together, and maybe try and get a first practice in, but as things stand at the moment it's too risky. It's a small town and very easy to come into contact with someone who was at the source of this outbreak.

Given the current level of infection rate I'd only consider an outdoor gig anyway. 

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Having had an outbreak at the school, now we've had an outbreak from the local Football club's bar (people watching the Euro's). It seems to be spreading quite a bit, my parent's neighbours have it, 2 doors down from me have it and so on.

I bumped into my drummer on friday, him and his friend were walking to another pub as their local pub had been closed because of the virus. So all their customers were going to the other pub :D

49 minutes ago, krispn said:

Yeah the bands would all be like bands you already know just with subtle differences Bun’s and Roses, Ron Jovi etc 

And you wouldn't know what sort of gig you were going to get until you got there!

46 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

With or without flares ? (think about it)

😎

Thought about it.. still at a bit of a loss!

I'm still going to be pretty cautious in areas of naturally high density people (shops, pubs, gigs). I have a holiday booked for end of August and it is essential I don't pick up the virus even if its a mild form (I'm double jabbed) which results in me not being allowed to fly.

The main concern now is the rapid increase in cases where the person has been singly or doubly jabbed. The hope is that these cases remain mild and do not require hospitalisation or become 'long covid' situations which require some medical invervention. That puts the sort of pressure on the NHS which gets us back to last year.

The govt simply can't allow further cycles of lockdowns and reopening. They are trying to cage it in expressions of  'personal responsibility' but they have pretty much now gone with a 'let it rip, herd immunity' policy and they are hoping like hell enough people are jabbed and don't get ill enough to go to hospital.

2 hours ago, KevB said:

I'm still going to be pretty cautious in areas of naturally high density people (shops, pubs, gigs). I have a holiday booked for end of August and it is essential I don't pick up the virus even if its a mild form (I'm double jabbed) which results in me not being allowed to fly.

The main concern now is the rapid increase in cases where the person has been singly or doubly jabbed. The hope is that these cases remain mild and do not require hospitalisation or become 'long covid' situations which require some medical invervention. That puts the sort of pressure on the NHS which gets us back to last year.

The govt simply can't allow further cycles of lockdowns and reopening. They are trying to cage it in expressions of  'personal responsibility' but they have pretty much now gone with a 'let it rip, herd immunity' policy and they are hoping like hell enough people are jabbed and don't get ill enough to go to hospital.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is the problem I didn’t want to say without being touted as an empty glass fun police person - some double jabbed people are really quite ill - even if not hospitalised if staff get ill, transport people get ill so we can’t get to work, logistics for equipment, deliveries etc. 

Stay safe, stay oot the way and enjoy your hols.

There is Covid, a coming seasonal RSV and ‘normal’ flu.

Birmingham this week shut down elective operations for a period including transplant and cancer operations, A&E is heaving, forget 4 hour waits, if you get seen in that time it’s a luxury.

The talk of bets, wagers and placing your money where your mouth is seems all a little crass.

(Disclaimer - I do want live music back regularly)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this is the problem I didn’t want to say without being touted as an empty glass fun police person - some double jabbed people are really quite ill - even if not hospitalised if staff get ill, transport people get ill so we can’t get to work, logistics for equipment, deliveries etc. 

Stay safe, stay oot the way and enjoy your hols.

There is Covid, a coming seasonal RSV and ‘normal’ flu.

Birmingham this week shut down elective operations for a period including transplant and cancer operations, A&E is heaving, forget 4 hour waits, if you get seen in that time it’s a luxury.

The talk of bets, wagers and placing your money where your mouth is seems all a little crass.

(Disclaimer - I do want live music back regularly)

I will delete my post if it's seen as too negative, but just as a word of caution for all - I personally know of two people (one a musician, the other at my workshop building) who both had to go to hospital for a few days after catching coronavirus recently.

They both had coronavirus last year and this was far more severe. 

One is double jabbed, the other one jab. The former late 40's, the other mid 30's.

Please everyone be very careful out there!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Woodwind said:

I will delete my post if it's seen as too negative, but just as a word of caution for all - I personally know of two people (one a musician, the other at my workshop building) who both had to go to hospital for a few days after catching coronavirus recently.

They both had coronavirus last year and this was far more severe. One is double jabbed, the other one jab. The former late 40's, the other mid 30's.

Please everyone be very careful out there!

Absolutely NOT too negative and thanks for sharing. Facts are facts. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Govt just announced vaccine passport for nightclubs, large gatherings etc. So we could play to nursing homes……

My missus is a Catering Manager at a chain of nursing homes. She has got them to use their entertainment budget to put on acoustic gigs out in the car park of some of the homes and then getting several of our friends to play to entertain the residents. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1