Why become a member? ×

What sets off your BROCD? (Bass Related OCD)

donslow

23 minutes ago, Quilly said:

when you turn up all the knobs on your jazz bass and the pointer isn't continuous through the 3 knobs, i.e. the pointers are slightly out of alignment.

...thats heart breaking.

I must say this does get me also, what’s worse is when you line them up and the turn them full circle and for some reason, they don’t line up the other way

Scratchplates/pickguards (delete as your preference) that don't sit flush on the bass body. I can't stand it if there's a slight gap.

On my p bass I had to buy a new string tree as the other one was too short and the strings sat too low, it just looked wrong.

I don't like 210 cabs that only have feet so you have to have them sit with the speakers horizontally. 210s need to sit with the drivers aligned vertically. Horizontal looks daft.

Too many knobs and switches that look randomly placed.

Amps that overhang cabs.

58 minutes ago, Quilly said:

when you turn up all the knobs on your jazz bass and the pointer isn't continuous through the 3 knobs, i.e. the pointers are slightly out of alignment.

...thats heart breaking.

Jazz knobs put on so the pointer is somewhere near 2 O'Clock to signify fully open. Oh, the humanity! 

4 hours ago, casapete said:

Yes, good call sir.

I’ll also add brightly coloured instrument leads - yes I know that dayglo pink makes them easier to find at the end of the gig, but just wrong, okay? 🤢

I don't own any black leads, for that very reason - grubbing around on my hands and knees in the pitch blackness of some god-forsaken "music venue" looking for a black lead in an ugly tangle of black leads got really old, really quickly. I now have a lovely collection of leads in colours so eye searing, a primary school student would think they were "a little outré." But the best part is; now I use a wireless dealio,  to the casual observer, I am the dictionary definition of rugged masculinity, while safely gaffa taped to the floor, my rainbow hued cabling screams new millennium, gender fluidity. 

Sorry, what was the thread about, again?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

No one going to mention the jazz control plate with no scratch plate, always wrong!

It cant be got for that discontinued model of bass (I asked Mayones). Anyway , I'm not keen on drilling holes into the body.   

3 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Self adhesive laser cut is the answer!

I don't mind a control plate and no scratch plate is just the V in the end where it's missing looks odd, don't know why they don't just make a new design to suit.

This is a early iteration of the Jabba-4. I guess they were just using stock parts. I thin the latest ones uses their own design, tell you what...Its a cracking bass to play. 

Edited by Quilly
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gjones said:

I'm sure I can remember a Topic on basschat, where the guy who started it wanted all the machine heads on his headstock to point in the same direction, when it was in tune.

Own up, who was it?

It wasn't me, but I remember it.

I'm the opposite...….. It would bug me if they did point the same way...……. it looks like I don't know how to tune a Bass.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gjones said:

I'm sure I can remember a Topic on basschat, where the guy who started it wanted all the machine heads on his headstock to point in the same direction, when it was in tune.

Own up, who was it?

How is that achievable...or even sustainable (excuse the pun) 

Headed basses. Get rid of the headstock and that cures tuners on headstocks, strings not parallel, misaligned tuners, and neck dive.

Strings being wound on tuners in the wrong direction.

Performance related - leads being chucked into a bag with no attempt to coil them. Wall wart power supplies with the lead wrapped round the body of the power supply.

I'm a pretty easy going chap and strings not aligning correctly over pickup poles, tuners pointing in all directions, silks of different lengths, etc don't bother me at all. However, when I'm gigging (or even watching a band), if the stage area is messy, it makes my OCD jangle like Peter Parker's SpideySense.

Trailing cables, plastic carrier bags on stage, drinks on amps/combos, wonky backdrops, mic leads pulled so tight they'd make a sound like a banjo if you plucked them...ooohhh, I can feel the palpitations coming on just thinking about 'em.

So carry on playing your scratchplate-less Jazz bass with irregular string spacing through a  mismatched head and cabs - but for the love of Jeebus, pick that bloody carrier bag up!

• Like 3