Why become a member? ×

What sets off your BROCD? (Bass Related OCD)

donslow

3 minutes ago, rushbo said:

I'm a pretty easy going chap and strings not aligning correctly over pickup poles, tuners pointing in all directions, silks of different lengths, etc don't bother me at all. However, when I'm gigging (or even watching a band), if the stage area is messy, it makes my OCD jangle like Peter Parker's SpideySense.

Trailing cables, plastic carrier bags on stage, drinks on amps/combos, wonky backdrops, mic leads pulled so tight they'd make a sound like a banjo if you plucked them...ooohhh, I can feel the palpitations coming on just thinking about 'em.

So carry on playing your scratchplate-less Jazz bass with irregular string spacing through a  mismatched head and cabs - but for the love of Jeebus, pick that bloody carrier bag up!

Oh yes...carrier supermarket shopping bags being used to transport tangled guitar leads...that old gem.

Edited by Quilly

27 minutes ago, Quilly said:

Drinks on top of amps  

(shudders)

It might be because my day job is writing about health and safety (oh! the glamour!) that whenever I see a pint of Scruttocks Old Dirigible Pale Ale perched precariously on an amp, it's all I can do to not call the police. Ditto trailing leads all over the floor. A roll of gaffa tape is considerably cheaper than a public liability insurance payout.

- Really cheap misshapen gig-bags. A broken neck or headstock accident waiting to happen.

-People resting their bass up against the amp so that the amp edge makes  little dings on the back of the neck. (I had to get this repaired on a second hand mayones - I mean WTF are people thinking)

-People resting their bass on the floor so that 1. If its a P bass the strap nut gets driven into the wood of the body, of in the case of a jazz bass the offset edge gets all scraped.    

10 minutes ago, Quilly said:

-People resting their bass up against the amp so that the amp edge makes  little dings on the back of the neck. (I had to get this repaired on a second hand mayones - I mean WTF are people thinking) 

I've seen some instruments, where the back of the neck is so scored, you could use it as a guiro...

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Little Dragon said:

No mention of untrimmed strings at the headstock, ready to poke an eye out?

Especially when there's a little hole in the machine head to poke the string end into. Too many windings on a machine my pet peeve. more than 2.5 windings is way too many.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, casapete said:

Absolutely - I mean, why would you? At best the risk of damaging your amp/speaker, at worst possible death.

To look like the tough man I suppose, 🤨 the same idiots that put lit cigarettes into the space between the strings on the headstock, causing scorch marks....and then companies copying this idiocy on 'road worn' basses. Why, Oh why.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paul S said:

Nothing bothers me particularly but I am not keen on seeing the ends of strings wobbling about dangerously, rather poked down into the middle of the tuners.

25 minutes ago, Little Dragon said:

No mention of untrimmed strings at the headstock, ready to poke an eye out?

Back on page 1 :) 

11 minutes ago, Quilly said:

When the PA owner wont throw out or repair damaged XLR, Speaker or jack leads, so when you're setting up you have to try out a few leads until you get one that works, wasting time etc.    

I've depped a few times with a rock n roll band. They used to have a trailer with the PA and leads in it, and when it was unlocked the band made a mad scramble to get the best leads! Made even worse by them only buying cheap sh*t cables anyway, so you can imagine why the working ones were in short supply. Fortunately being a dep I didn't need to involve myself in this, but was just amazed how some bands can't organise the proverbial p*ss up in a brewery.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, WAYNESWORLD said:

Wire's intertwined behind the mixing desk.

Set list taped to mike stand.

Poor routing

Headstocks that look like an afterthought.

Music stands on stage because your singer can’t memorise lyrics . Kills the act 

• Like 1

My only BR OCD is other bassists assuming they can use my bass rig without asking or first putting drinks on my amp on stage. 

I don't personally care about clip on tuners being left on headstocks or whether people's cables do / don't match. Reading this I think it's fair to say that we are all going to be guilty of doing *something* that other bassists don't approve of! I guess you just do your thing and if people like it, then great.