Why become a member? ×

Vintage Fenders

Reggaebass

On 03/02/2023 at 12:05, Clarky said:

BassBros just got a 67 P bass, one owner and with unusual factory fitted Mustang tuners

https://bassbros.co.uk/product/1967-fender-precision-bass/

I’m pretty sure this very bass was listed here a few years ago.

again, the lollipops were described as from factory…

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

Did Fender do special finishes back in the day 

I've had a look at this, and I've never seen anything like it, across the whole range of vintage Fenders, not just basses. I very much doubt that it's a factory refin. 

Rob

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ossyrocks said:

I've had a look at this, and I've never seen anything like it, across the whole range of vintage Fenders, not just basses. I very much doubt that it's a factory refin. 

Rob

Thinking about it I’ve seen a few custom orders but nothing like this one 

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

This seems relevant here…

“When I started to do the deep dive into sparkle guitars years ago, I got offered a lot of them,” says David. “People knew I was buying them and I saw many. But I’ve got to tell you: more than 80 per cent of them were fake! Authenticating them is about using all your senses – sight, sound, touch, texture and even smell. It’s based on experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

Nice Fullerton era 62RI Precision at Andy Baxter's. £3k price seems a bit rich but what do I know, vintage Fender prices seem to have gone up hugely in past year.

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/products/1983-fender-precision-bass-fullerton-vintage-58

Screenshot_20230222_222500_Chrome.jpg

Looks in good condition, but I agree, it's a bit steep. My '73 was the same price last year. Maybe they're going for the 40th Birthday present market?

9 hours ago, Clarky said:

Nice Fullerton era 62RI Precision at Andy Baxter's. £3k price seems a bit rich but what do I know, vintage Fender prices seem to have gone up hugely in past year.

https://www.andybaxterbass.com/products/1983-fender-precision-bass-fullerton-vintage-58

It looks nice, but Blimey, £3k for a reissue! Is that where they are now? It's quite a lot more than I paid for my '73 last year too.

Rob

• Like 2

On 22/02/2023 at 22:30, Clarky said:

I was quite keen on one of these at one point but made the mistake of ABing it against the real thing and it was miles off in tone and feel. No better than the Fender reissues Fender we’re producing at the time (probably 2015ish) or the Tokai which I also had sold not long before.

• Like 2

On 23/02/2023 at 09:51, Woodinblack said:

Someone will pay that much, then when they do, it will become the norm, so lots of other places will make that the price, then berfore you know it it will be the 80s ones going up

Seems kind of correct. I was wondering the same about late '70s Fenders just yesterday. One person lists one way overpriced on reverb, and the rest will take this as a reference. Which results in a lot late '70s Fenders listed at around €3.5k or some even a good bit higher. 

11 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Looks suspect. Obviously not the original scratch plate, missing knobs and the ashtray looks a little large, or may be that’s down to a poor photo angle.

The pickups are not original, pots non original and the scratchplate also. All this admitted by the seller on the phone to me, is it worth £1500 as it is

9 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Is the truss rod and neck ok would be my question, early 70s ?

Yes good point, he does not seem too familiar with Basses judging by my questions to him but there is buyer protection with Ebay should it be the case if anything was suspect

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, briansbrew said:

Yes good point, he does not seem too familiar with Basses judging by my questions to him but there is buyer protection with Ebay should it be the case if anything was suspect

Looks like it could be a nice project and if all is well with the neck and body I don’t think £1500 is too bad