Why become a member? ×

Anybody ever found screw ups with manufacturers?

warwickhunt

It's a minor thing I suppose but really a big Co. like Line 6 should check their facts...

I have a Variax 700 bass which has been sidelined for so long that I'd forgotten what all of the sounds are modelled on so I decided to check their on-line manual. As I browsed through I came to the 'Modern' setting, one of which is the Warwick Thumb; dear me... why then have a picture of a Warwick Corvette? As I say not the end of the world and I'm not losing sleep over it but someone, somewhere wants their backside kicking. :)

Anybody else ever found a manufacturers c*ck up?

The holes in the rack-mount brackets for the Ashdown LG1000 are in the wrong place and do not meet the European standards and won't fit European racks/cases. They must have been designed in the factory in China and consequently meet the Far East/US standards.

My favourite was from the manual that came with the Yamaha CP70/80 electric grand pianos from the late 70s /early 80s. Those of you who remember these instruments will also know that these instruments split into separate parts to make them slightly more easy to transport. In the manual one of the diagrams showed how to fit the legs showing the end of one of the tubular legs and it's socket with a arrow indicating a rotating motion. Next to the arrow was the word F**K. What they meant of course was "screw"...

Unfortunately although a web search reveals that PDFs of these manuals are available for download all the ones I've seen have since been corrected, but I can assure you having seen and actual printed manual for myself that at one point this was true.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='430370' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:36 PM']My favourite was from the manual that came with the Yamaha CP70/80 electric grand pianos from the late 70s /early 80s. Those of you who remember these instruments will also know that these instruments split into separate parts to make them slightly more easy to transport. In the manual one of the diagrams showed how to fit the legs showing the end of one of the tubular legs and it's socket with a arrow indicating a rotating motion. Next to the arrow was the word F**K. What they meant of course was "screw"...

Unfortunately although a web search reveals that PDFs of these manuals are available for download all the ones I've seen have since been corrected, but I can assure you having seen and actual printed manual for myself that at one point this was true.[/quote]

Class.

S.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='430096' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:14 AM']It's a minor thing I suppose but really a big Co. like Line 6 should check their facts...

I have a Variax 700 bass which has been sidelined for so long that I'd forgotten what all of the sounds are modelled on so I decided to check their on-line manual. As I browsed through I came to the 'Modern' setting, one of which is the Warwick Thumb; dear me... why then have a picture of a Warwick Corvette? As I say not the end of the world and I'm not losing sleep over it but someone, somewhere wants their backside kicking. :)

Anybody else ever found a manufacturers c*ck up?[/quote]

All you Warwicks look the same to me !! :rolleyes:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='430096' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:14 AM']It's a minor thing I suppose but really a big Co. like Line 6 should check their facts...

Anybody else ever found a manufacturers c*ck up?[/quote]

ah now i understand why you were selling your JD thumb a while back. you have one in the variax!

I bought a box of 5000 staples in September last year. After I had carefully checked the contents, I found there were three missing! I complained bitterly to the shop, who then contacted the manufacturer. I received an envelope in the post few days later containing an apology and not three, but TEN staples! I was made up :)

[quote name='silddx' post='432329' date='Mar 12 2009, 12:32 PM']I bought a box of 5000 staples in September last year. After I had carefully checked the contents, I found there were three missing! I complained bitterly to the shop, who then contacted the manufacturer. I received an envelope in the post few days later containing an apology and not three, but TEN staples! I was made up :)[/quote]

Im going to formally remove a "life" point for that...

[quote name='BigRedX' post='430370' date='Mar 10 2009, 12:36 PM']My favourite was from the manual that came with the Yamaha CP70/80 electric grand pianos from the late 70s /early 80s. Those of you who remember these instruments will also know that these instruments split into separate parts to make them slightly more easy to transport. In the manual one of the diagrams showed how to fit the legs showing the end of one of the tubular legs and it's socket with a arrow indicating a rotating motion. Next to the arrow was the word F**K. What they meant of course was "screw"...

Unfortunately although a web search reveals that PDFs of these manuals are available for download all the ones I've seen have since been corrected, but I can assure you having seen and actual printed manual for myself that at one point this was true.[/quote]

:) I guess they mean the same thing!

[quote name='Soulfinger' post='432320' date='Mar 12 2009, 12:25 PM']ESP had a nice spelling mistake on their website a couple of months ago, announcing - in huge letters, lined with photos of evil-looking, tatooed, chain-wielding metal bass players - their new line of [size=7]VITNAGE[/size] basses. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I really liked the look of them actually. I know what you mean though.

TS (or OP, whatever you want to call it) That is pretty silly. It might seem petty but they're supposed to be a musical instrument company, they should know their thumbs from their corvettes!

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='432647' date='Mar 12 2009, 05:30 PM']Something I mentioned in another thread:

Fender stating that the jazz bass 24 is their first 24 fret bass, which it isn't. Both the Stu Hamm Urge models have 24 frets. The Mk1 has been around for at least 10 years, and the Mk2 is still listed on the Fender site.[/quote]

also the old Fender Performer bass had 24 frets, and so did the Fender/Heartfield DR.
a case of the marketing people being slick with words but patchy on the geeky details.

both Bassist and Bass Guitar Magazine have been riddled with errors-
eg. in BGM they had an interview with Killing Joke bassist Youth- but put a pic of the other KJ bassist Raven with it :)

Edited by SJA

• 3 years later...

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1350307337' post='1837034']
I had a Squier Bronco where one pickguard screw was screwed into a hole dug so close to the edge of the control cavity that it was only a semi-circle and barely held the screw in place. Same Bronco had the G tuner rattle uncontrollably (until I shored it all up with Araldite). The whole thing was a lemon. I would go out in the morning and come back in the evening to it having retuned itself. I think it was haunted. The wood it was made out of really did not want to be a bass guitar at any rate.
[/quote]
Yep, those Bronco Basses must have been made by right cowboys....

Loads of examples with graphite necks that are well documented on here already.

There was a joke once about a very attractive but not-too-bright lady who walks into a chemist and asks for "one of those rectal deoderants". The chemist looks at her confused and asks her to clarify what she means.
"Rectal deoderant" she says. "Its one of those sticks...I got some here last time."
"I'm sorry ma'am but we don't carry anything like that in stock."
She gets visibly frustrated as its an embarrassing thing to ask for. So the chemist asks her to identify what the deoderant looked like.
"You know, its got pink packaging...looks just like a normal stick deoderant."
The chemist asks her how she knows it's a rectal deoderant and she replies."it's got instructions on the back that say 'to use, push up bottom'."

[quote name='Stance' timestamp='1350298688' post='1836879']
Old topic, but here goes. The markers on my Godin a4 fretless (Which I bought new) were placed in the wrong spots...
[/quote]

As did my [s]firewood [/s]Hohner fretless from the 80s...first dot was on the 4th fret, spacings as per normal after that..

BTW I think that the Fender Zones also had 24 frets...

Edited by TheGreek

I bought a new Traben that had the Volume & Blend pots swapped over in the wrong place. When I looked at another in GAK it was the same, I pointed out it was not as it should be according to the manual but they didn't bother about it, the usual "No-one else has complained".

[quote name='SJA' timestamp='1237040202' post='434609']
both Bassist and Bass Guitar Magazine have been riddled with errors-
eg. in BGM they had an interview with Killing Joke bassist Youth- but put a pic of the other KJ bassist Raven with it :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Worse...a couple of years ago,Bass Player did a cover story on Paul Chambers and put a picture of Doug Watkins
instead.
They also missed the 'O' out of 'The Aristocrats' on the cover of the Bryan Beller issue (although there is a big
apology for this in the editorial of the new issue).