Why become a member? ×

rotosound strings - need some advice please :)

ray_6ao7

You'll get a dozen different answers, but for me, if Rotosound offered me free strings I'd have 'em.

Roto's in my opinion are decent strings. Bright out of the packet, nice and clean and punchy for a while, but they go off pretty quick, but then I sweat like a glass blowers arse live.

If the Wawricks you've been using are Black Labels, to me Rotos aren't as good as them. The Black Labels are great strings.

[quote name='Rayman' post='399066' date='Feb 3 2009, 03:49 PM']You'll get a dozen different answers[/quote]

Ain't that the triple truth, Ruth!

What he said though; they're fantastically bright at first but sound like shyte after they've soaked up a bit of finger jam. I prefer them to Warwick EMP though, which I tried once and was very disappointed at how quickly they went dead.

A lot of players complain that they feel rough. Fast Fret really helps.

I used Rotos (Swing Bass '66) on every bass for years except for a period where my band got a DR endorsement. They're good strings, very bright, can't remember ever having a duff set and I must've gone through hundreds of them.

I just recently bought my first non-RS66 set of strings for about ten years, to put on a fretless. Still using RS66s on my Thumb.

Do you know what you're getting out of the deal? If it's free strings then go for it.

The only thing I've found is that they're still not very good at making anything other than standard gauge 34" scale 4-string roundwound sets. Although not as bad as in the 90s when I had to find alternative strings (Newtone) because Rotosound seemed incapable of making a 36" scale B string. Nowadays when you get a good set they're cracking, but I'm still finding that 1 in 4 sets a bit dodgy.

If you're after anything esoteric unless you're already using Rotos you may be disappointed.

I've used Rotosound Swing/Jazz/Tru bass strings for about 35 years (not the same ones.... before some wise guy says something) and I love 'em.

I really like how the Swing bass lose their brightness after a short period of time because the slightly duller sound seems to suit the music that I play (I use a pick and play rock/rock 'n' roll).

Horses for courses,

I wish I could get mine for free...... go for it mate!

Mart.

Just be sure you like the strings, and then know exactly what the "deal" is....then no one gets upset. Companies can be surprisingly vague when you ask them how they expect you to help them. Some use a third party to run the deal and supply you...make sure you know who does what.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='399108' date='Feb 3 2009, 04:26 PM']Nowadays when you get a good set they're cracking, but I'm still finding that 1 in 4 sets a bit dodgy.[/quote]

doesn't help that they do not seal the packets and heaven knows how long some sets spend on display in the shops... or on the shelf...

I used the Swingbass ones several times because local shops only seemed to stock them or Elites and I wasn't particularly impressed with either brand. I personally found the quality control to be a little poor as I had several sets where at least one of the strings had a buzz which was found to be the string itself.

If you're used to DR strings or something similar I would say it's probably not worth it just for some freebies.

[quote name='neepheid' post='399623' date='Feb 4 2009, 02:57 AM']I'd steer clear of their flatwounds - so much string tension I could hardly move 'em![/quote]

+1 yep they're bleedin' aweful,rough as a bear's arse too,ripped the crap out of my old corvette fretless's board.