Jump to content
karlfer

AeroTech cabs from GR. Wow

Recommended Posts

On 27/01/2020 at 14:01, Dan Dare said:

Let's hope their stuff is better built than Italian cars...

Curiously I've never had a rubbish Italian car, but I have had no joy ever finding a reliable German car. I know,  my whole life has been lived on the orthogonal.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, thebassist said:

Yes, I think I'm going to go front ported now after a few conversations.

I use a lot of delay/reverb/overdrive/looping pedals live so the ever so slightly larger footprint and .5kg weight increase are not significant enough to warrant the potential problems that can crop up with rear porting.

Great...do have a look at the light weight cab I got 10 days ago for comparison British hand made. It larger because I wanted to get the full volume recommended by Celestian 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BCH said:

Great...do have a look at the light weight cab I got 10 days ago for comparison British hand made. It larger because I wanted to get the full volume recommended by Celestian 

 

Looks like a very nice bit of kit. Very interesting concept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pulled the trigger on two GRBass miniONE 350w heads to drive two AeroTech 112H (4ohm) cabinets.

I’m very excited to A/B/C it with my Trickfish and Eich equipment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thebassist said:

I pulled the trigger on two GRBass miniONE 350w heads to drive two AeroTech 112H (4ohm) cabinets.

I’m very excited to A/B/C it with my Trickfish and Eich equipment.

Look forward hearing how you get on. Our AT 112's may arrive in the same batch, if it's Bass Direct they are coming from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only picked it up yesterday but loving the 212Slim so far. So much low end coming from such a lightweight cabinet. One of the guys I was chatting with is selling all his Vanderkley stuff to replace with these cabs. 
will try post more after proper testing but with my Mesa D800 this 212 is bringing the beef! 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Kingbrit said:

Only picked it up yesterday but loving the 212Slim so far. So much low end coming from such a lightweight cabinet. One of the guys I was chatting with is selling all his Vanderkley stuff to replace with these cabs. 
will try post more after proper testing but with my Mesa D800 this 212 is bringing the beef! 

Awesome.

And Vanderkley is great equipment too.

Edited by thebassist
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

GR Bass Aero112H arrived today, adds nicely to the 210....just need some gigs now😁 Total weight of both cabs is 40lbs.

IMG_20200611_180846.jpg

Edited by MOSCOWBASS
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/05/2020 at 22:43, Kingbrit said:

Only picked it up yesterday but loving the 212Slim so far. So much low end coming from such a lightweight cabinet. One of the guys I was chatting with is selling all his Vanderkley stuff to replace with these cabs. 
will try post more after proper testing but with my Mesa D800 this 212 is bringing the beef! 

A month later what are your thoughts?

Don't suppose you've been lucky enough to gig it yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry slight discussion resurrection here (will start a new thread if preferred - same subject though!) - has anyone had any experience of these cabs recently? Not a huge amount of info out there. I am toying with the idea of the GR 2x8 or a BF Super Midget, not sure which to go for. I’m after something lightweight, punchy and transparent that will cover me for practice and small/medium gigs. I already have a 1x12 that I could link one of these up to if needs be but it’s rather bulky and heavy, hence the search for an alternative. Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know GR gear, but IMO the SM would be a good first step to the best rig you've owned.

I have the SM and an SC. They each sound great and together bring the house down. I'll use both as a full range rig for my active Jazz bass, but, as a stand alone cab, I prefer the SC (more low end and slightly less top end). Sounds perfect with my passive P bass. All BF cabs are punchy and well defined.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I don't know GR gear, but IMO the SM would be a good first step to the best rig you've owned.

I have the SM and an SC. They each sound great and together bring the house down. I'll use both as a full range rig for my active Jazz bass, but, as a stand alone cab, I prefer the SC (more low end and slightly less top end). Sounds perfect with my passive P bass. All BF cabs are punchy and well defined.

Thanks, I’ve been doing a bit of reading up and the specs seem fairly similar between the two so I would hope that I’d be happy with either. Certainly lots of good feedback on the BFs, I suppose it comes down to whether I’m wedded to the 8” or if the SM still retains that punch (as you say), which would potentially make it the better all rounder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Sorry slight discussion resurrection here (will start a new thread if preferred - same subject though!) - has anyone had any experience of these cabs recently? Not a huge amount of info out there. I am toying with the idea of the GR 2x8 or a BF Super Midget, not sure which to go for. I’m after something lightweight, punchy and transparent that will cover me for practice and small/medium gigs. I already have a 1x12 that I could link one of these up to if needs be but it’s rather bulky and heavy, hence the search for an alternative. Thanks! 

What about something different ? a 10" + compressor ( Celestion), wedge 350w .Only 9kg......Made by Scott Dixon from aircraft aluminum ....its very stiff & air tight to military spec so the vent works correctly 

I helped design and test (I have no financial interest) I have been using for 5 months in covid safe rehearsals and it has been awesome. Its tight full & loud, compact and my back is delighted....the band love it, I also have the 12" version but pref' the 10".  As you can see in the pic's it can be wedge or straight. Hope it helpsIMG_1683.thumb.jpg.8a7d9e95e4f43e6700086b5086109999.jpgIMG_1553.thumb.jpg.f861e3adbea41bf55ff91b2d6a8e2052.jpgIMG_1578.thumb.jpg.ddcfb66703331b978e109781d17e24b8.jpg.

Edited by BCH
Correction
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, BCH said:

What about something different ? a 10" + compressor ( Celestion), wedge 350w .Only 9kg......Made by Scott Dixon from aircraft aluminum ....its very stiff & air tight to military spec so the vent works correctly 

I helped design and test (I have no financial interest) I have been using for 5 months in covid safe rehearsals and it has been awesome. Its tight full & loud, compact and my back is delighted....the band love it, I also have the 12" version but pref' the 10".  As you can see in the pic's it can be wedge or straight. Hope it helpsIMG_1683.thumb.jpg.8a7d9e95e4f43e6700086b5086109999.jpgIMG_1553.thumb.jpg.f861e3adbea41bf55ff91b2d6a8e2052.jpgIMG_1578.thumb.jpg.ddcfb66703331b978e109781d17e24b8.jpg.

if my stage set up wasn't getting quiter (less amplifers) I'd be super interested in checking these out!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BCH said:

What about something different ? a 10" + compressor ( Celestion), wedge 350w .Only 9kg......Made by Scott Dixon from aircraft aluminum ....its very stiff & air tight to military spec so the vent works correctly 

I helped design and test (I have no financial interest) I have been using for 5 months in covid safe rehearsals and it has been awesome. Its tight full & loud, compact and my back is delighted....the band love it, I also have the 12" version but pref' the 10".  As you can see in the pic's it can be wedge or straight. Hope it helpsIMG_1683.thumb.jpg.8a7d9e95e4f43e6700086b5086109999.jpgIMG_1553.thumb.jpg.f861e3adbea41bf55ff91b2d6a8e2052.jpgIMG_1578.thumb.jpg.ddcfb66703331b978e109781d17e24b8.jpg.

Those are awesome! Look pretty tough as well (i.e. would cope no problem with being knocked about in the back of a van on tour). We really are spoilt for choice when it comes to lightweight cabs these days. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Those are awesome! Look pretty tough as well (i.e. would cope no problem with being knocked about in the back of a van on tour). We really are spoilt for choice when it comes to lightweight cabs these days. 

Seconded! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We can start getting into a tonewood debate with these.........

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That tiny 2x8 is very interesting to me.

The amp sounds a bit too clean / polite for my tastes but then again I saw the LED light show.... :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you want a lightweight bass cab? GR have made cabs out of the centre of a Cadbury's Crunchie. Simply take to a gig, add 3 pints of lukewarm water and see your volume demolish everything in it's path. Once the gig is completed, you fold down the hatch and drain it like a defective washing machine returning it to 14 micrograms nominal weight. Should the cab be damaged after load out, the side panels can provide sustenance for you and your bandmates should you get lost in the Yorkshire moors in a broken transit van.

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/04/2021 at 10:16, fretmeister said:

That tiny 2x8 is very interesting to me.

The amp sounds a bit too clean / polite for my tastes but then again I saw the LED light show.... :D 

Here's Ed F giving the 2x8 a spin. It's actually the original i.e. not the Aerotech cab - although he does briefly reference the AT in his review.

He seems to like the GR kit a lot. (He's also jumped into the TB thread I linked above).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You thinking of getting some GR gear @Al Krow? The heads remind me a little of the Tecamp/Eich school of clean neutral power. The cabs seem to be a great combination of light weight and power. Impressive!

Edited by krispn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at the cab (the normal/non-slim AT212 4ohm to be precise), rather than the GR heads: my DG M900, having had a bit of attention as you know, should be just fine for a while yet. And I suspect that the GR head light show could be a distraction! 

I'm intrigued by any 2x12 4ohm cab that is the same weight as my 1x12 8ohm BF BB2, which until now was lightest in its field, given its full frequency range and power handling (the BF Super Compact being a cut down version on both of these fronts). I've always felt that 2x12 seemed to be the perfect set up for me, as a one cab solution, but portability (again as you already know!) was the constraint for me starting with my Mesa PH212 and ending with the Berg CN212, but which were frankly both superb cabs. 

From what I've heard from @johnpaulbassthe GR cabs are even more FRFR than Barefaced (he had the Super Compact previously) so it will be going in the opposite direction to the sweeter, more coloured, Mesa and Berg 212 cabs I previously had. But @MOSCOWBASS, having been a BF cab user for a decade, has recently moved to a GR Aerotech rig and so far has also been very positive, so it augurs well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...