Why become a member? ×

Diamond Bass made in Japan?

DrDad

I recently acquired an electric bass guitar that I am trying to find out more about.  The headstock says "Diamond Guitars and Basses - Japan".  It is an in-line four string jazz style model, and has two bartolini pickups that look to be original.  I cannot find a model number anywhere, but the serial number on the back plate is 015519.  I'm mostly interested in finding out what year it was made and what the value of the guitar might be before I start swapping out parts or refinishing it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

IMG_2962.jpg

IMG_2963.jpg

IMG_2964.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

IMG_2985.jpg

IMG_2986.jpg

Edited by DrDad
Photos added
  • Like 1

Well this is interesting...

Sorry @AndyTravis - amazingly I've never seen one of these before - I'd remember if I had, it's a stunner!

Can't be 100% but I'm not sure this is the Aria Diamond sub-brand. Might be wrong (Japanese home market stuff's pretty inexplicable) but typically Aria Diamond is low to midrange & Matsumoku-made. This is neither.

I have a feeling this is made by Tokai - the serial number position & format are the same as on their 80s basses:

rcqbldvvhjfh6qplmvo7.jpg

That wouldn't rule out Aria - some post-Matsumoku MIJ Arias apparently came from Tokai after Matsumoku closed in 1987, but I've never seen a high-end Diamond, or that "guitars and basses" subtitle before. Inclined to think it's a different Diamond brand - but Google's giving me nowt.

Tip about the unmatching tuners - the E string machine is the only remaining original, as far as I can see, and it's a Gotoh GB1/GB10. These were very common on 70s/80s MIJ basses, and fortunately are still available. It'd be worth replacing the unmatched ones on a bass as nice as this.

• Like 1

I suspect that whatever it is, the Bartolinis are not original.

The lack of control plate is interesting. The body, particularly the arrangement of the controls and the cover plate on the back reminds me very much of a Jim Reed Jazz that I used to own, but the neck's clearly wrong. Could it have been a neck swap? Doesn't look like one, it was a good job if so.

As has been said, I suspect those Bartolini's are not original. They're decent pickups though - so I think I'd be tempted to leave them there, if you like the sound.
Definitely get a full set of matching tuners as first thing you do with this bass. Perhaps even pick up a suitably aged, second-hand set? 

This is a nice looking bass. I don't think I would "mod" it too much. The lack of a control plate is interesting.
Nice bass :)

33 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The Prince Andrew signature model. Sadly it's value has plummeted in the last couple of months... largely because he insists he can't recall ever having played one and the finish is wrong because he sweats like Rory Gallagher...

Pub near us has just re-opened and re-branded itself  'Dukes Ipswich'. Formerly the Grand Old Duke Of York. Could be co-incidence ...

Thank you for your feedback, everyone.  I've tried researching Aria Diamond & Matsumoku-made basses and haven't yet found anything that resembles my bass, so I'm still at a loss as to its origins or age.  If anyone stumbles upon any additional info that might clarify what I have here, I would be grateful.

I think it's early/mid 80s, made by Tokai Gakki and is likely a Japanese home-market brand unconnected to Aria. I'm confident it's absolutely not a Matsumoku instrument.

The Barts might be original - a look at the soldering on the pots might give you a clue as to whether it's factory standard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The Prince Andrew signature model. Sadly it's value has plummeted in the last couple of months... largely because he insists he can't recall ever having played one and the finish is wrong because he sweats like Rory Gallagher...

That just made me 'LOL' and scare the shoot out of everyone on a very quiet train! 😂😂

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Available in pizza express. 

20 hours ago, pete.young said:

Pub near us has just re-opened and re-branded itself  'Dukes Ipswich'. Formerly the Grand Old Duke Of York. Could be co-incidence ...

I've played there!  Did the last gig before they closed.  No relationship between these two events....