Why become a member? ×

WHAT....!!!

rumour6

Hi all... been playng for 35 yrs.... finally gave up on all of the options.. gone back to a USA '75 Re-issue Jazz. Happy as a pig in ****. Anyone else made lots of moves only to find out their original choice was the right one?
Im amazed that I actually do consider the in between tme (25 yrs!!!!!!!!!!) a 'distraction'
Really not being Fender biased... just wonderig how many of us 'know' what's right but still spend mega bucks proving ourselves right?
If i am the only one... good on you all.. if i'm not>>> thanks for allowing me to be 'normal'

Balders

I went through a hell of a lot of basses before coming back to the original P bass.

I went through about 8 Stingrays and 4 Ricks before I realised that they were not for me. Modulus, Warwick, other stuff that i can't even remember. 5, 6, 8 & 12 string basses. Fretless and fretted. Acoustic & semi acoustic.

A very basic bass but the only one for me. I've had the gold one now for over a year which is the longest I've owned a bass apart from my 'none blacker' Musicman SR5 that I had for 4 years.

Although I'm not a Fender fan, I do know what you mean.
I'm considering getting a 5 string (corvette has caught my interest) but will it replace the bass I've been playing for the past 20 years? I doubt it. It has the sound & feel that I know & love. Not tried an Ibby 5 string tho so might try a new 1005 to see how they are (if I can find one up here).

I've been playing around 9 years now I think, and I started going 'back' to fenders about 3 years ago. Then I stepped up about 6 months ago and purchased my 1973 Jazz, tis a beauty of a bass and did what I thought was the impossible and knocked my standard US jazz off it's number one slot! Warwicks, Laklands (44-02D), Yamaha have all come and gone.

I wouldn't rule out Lakland again though, but one of the more simpler Fender copies, so that still counts lol, didn't get on with their active stuff......too polite!

So now I've got 2 Jazzes, a parts Precision and my active 'ThingRay' bass is soon being replaced by another custom/parts passive Jazz

Lovely stuff!

Si

Edited by Sibob

[quote name='rjb' post='353363' date='Dec 13 2008, 10:20 AM']It's because you're a bunch of old hippie grandads. :huh:

**runs away**[/quote]

aarrggghh you young scally--i'll give ye a rite good thrashing-cheeky young git :)

**attempts to run after**
**beer belly hinders this**
**old knees complain**
**heart threatens to stop**
**runs out of breath**
**collapses panting**
**oh sod it**
**the youth of today**
**what they need is a spell in the army-that'll sort em out-wasn't like this in our day- ect'-ect'..........**
:huh:

Similar story with me. I started with a Fender Jazz and have since been through Warwicks (Thumb b/o 5, Thumb t/n 4, Corvette 4), Ricks (4001, 4003), a Hohner cricket bat, and a few others and have ended up with two Ps (one 'classic' 3TS MIA and one CIJ 70 RI) and a J (3TS MIA) ... and Prosebass is making me a Clash-alike P with maple neck to match my one with r/w neck.

In an ideal world, would have a Rick 4003 as well as my Fenders but credit crunch currently prevents this (I work in the stock market and will be lucky to stay in a job if the market doesn't pick up in the next 3-6 months)

Always loved the look of the Jazz, but could never get on with the neck, so my first purchase was an Ibanez instead, but slowly migrated back to that Jazz, despite prefering the fatter necked basses:

Ibanez SR --> Squier P Special --> Shine bass (cheap backup) --> Warwick Rockbass Streamer --> Fender Mike Dirt P --> Fender Jazz --> Spector Legend --> Fender Deluxe Jazz.

I played my Precision for 20 years until I replaced the pickups and electrics with Bartolini which made a fantastic improvement to the sound!! I then played it for another 10 years. The only reason I changed was to move on to a 5 string.
If Fender could make a 5 string bass that got at least half a dozen great reviews I might be interested but on current form I doubt they've got the ability or will to make a bass that can beat my Lakland so I'm happily sticking with what I've got.

[quote name='Leowasright' post='355290' date='Dec 15 2008, 09:25 PM']Most of this surely proves Leo got it most right in 1960 with the Jazz.

I have thought about Precisions, MM Stingrays, G&Ls, but I always seem to buy another Jazz.[/quote]

nowt wrong with a good Jazz but give me a good Precision any day.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='353305' date='Dec 13 2008, 01:09 AM']Maybe you should have got a 4 string fretless Rumour :huh:[/quote]
...he said, without a hint of bias :)

I reckon that no matter what exotica people have as their main weapons, everyone should have at least one Jazz somewhere in their armoury. :huh: