Why become a member? ×

Allen_Baker a.k.a 'Chelios'

Beedster

[quote name='andy67' post='350188' date='Dec 9 2008, 09:10 PM']this kind of shady activity really pisses me off! gives us up here a bad name!

there is decent poster here from, Aberdeen, Ayr, Dundee, Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Glasgow etc. in future folks if you buy anything up here maybe worth getting in touch to see if any of us can pick-up, check or even contact the seller.

andy[/quote]

Seconded.

[quote name='andy67' post='351159' date='Dec 10 2008, 07:50 PM']is this him?

[url="http://www.bebo.com/Search2.jsp?SearchTerm=allen%20baker"]http://www.bebo.com/Search2.jsp?SearchTerm=allen%20baker[/url]

if so let me know and I'll mail him.

andy[/quote]

Well that's his Warwick forum username I think..........

is it the right time to ask that newbies shouldnt be aloud to post threads in the for sales forums yet??? or are the mods still gunna insist its up to the buyer to have the sense not to go into a dodgy deal, despite the person ripped off this time being a long standing member?

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='BassManKev' post='351418' date='Dec 11 2008, 06:32 AM']is it the right time to ask that newbies shouldnt be aloud to post threads in the for sales forums yet??? or are the mods still gunna insist its up to the buyer to have the sense not to go into a dodgy deal, despite the person ripped off this time being a long standing member?[/quote]

+1
infact why not make the for sale section for fully fledged members only & one who have made 50 or so posts in the general forum.

Hi all
Thanks for your comments and offers of help. As it stands it would appear Allen_Baker now has a lot of negative feedback on Talkbass (I have been in contact with John Turner at TB to explain this), and possibly on the Warwick forum also. I've had a lot of offers of financial support (many thanks but not necessary I assure you), several offers from people in his vicinity of 'mediation', and quite a few people have said they might go along to his next gig!
Given that so many of you work in music shops, studios etc, given that he might need to buy or sell something bass-related one day, or need some advice or help, that his band might support yours or that you might be at one of his gigs, I really can't see why £116.99 is so important to him? If as he says the amp was working when he sent it, why is he being so evasive? If it was damaged in transit as he claims, why didn't he make a claim through the courier as he said he would? Anyway, I guess the longer this goes on the less credibility he has?
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='351788' date='Dec 11 2008, 02:16 PM']Hi all
Thanks for your comments and offers of help. As it stands it would appear Allen_Baker now has a lot of negative feedback on Talkbass (I have been in contact with John Turner at TB to explain this), and possibly on the Warwick forum also. I've had a lot of offers of financial support (many thanks but not necessary I assure you), several offers from people in his vicinity of 'mediation', and quite a few people have said they might go along to his next gig!
Given that so many of you work in music shops, studios etc, given that he might need to buy or sell something bass-related one day, or need some advice or help, that his band might support yours or that you might be at one of his gigs, I really can't see why £116.99 is so important to him? If as he says the amp was working when he sent it, why is he being so evasive? If it was damaged in transit as he claims, why didn't he make a claim through the courier as he said he would? Anyway, I guess the longer this goes on the less credibility he has?
Chris[/quote]

I'd say he's a rabbit in the headlights. He's apparently watched Jake's humiliation and has been reading this thread.

[quote name='bremen' post='351794' date='Dec 11 2008, 02:19 PM']I'd say he's a rabbit in the headlights. He's apparently watched Jake's humiliation and has been reading this thread.[/quote]
He's waiting for everyone to club together to save him spending any money. That's how it works.

A question - why do naughty people appear to get moderated, while rip-off merchants don't? Or do they?

<Dons suit>

[quote name='johnnylager' post='351809' date='Dec 11 2008, 02:36 PM']He's waiting for everyone to club together to save him spending any money. That's how it works.

A question - why do naughty people appear to get moderated, while rip-off merchants don't? Or do they?

<Dons suit>[/quote]

Because rip-off merchants dissappear when they're found out and us naughty people don't.

There are a fair few of us north of the border.

I know that I wouldn't have a problem going round to check something for someone living further away for the cost of the train/bus/petrol.

I know there are guys on here who have done the same.

Actually that might be a good thing to have somewhere. A list of people who would be willing to go and check out something, where they live and the area they are willing to travel in. That could also pose a problem in that what if the person checked the item and when it got to the buyer it didn't work or wasn't exactly the same. I suppose as long as the seller asked specific questions, the fact finder could answer them and possibly take certain pictures requested by the seller.

we could have a disclaimer of some sort to cover this.

We could work something out. Would certainly come in handy if I wanted to buy something from 'that London' but wasn't 100% convinced that it was what i thought it was.

Edited by Delberthot

[quote name='Delberthot' post='352423' date='Dec 12 2008, 09:03 AM']There are a fair few of us north of the border.

I know that I wouldn't have a problem going round to check something for someone living further away for the cost of the train/bus/petrol.

I know there are guys on here who have done the same.

Actually that might be a good thing to have somewhere. A list of people who would be willing to go and check out something, where they live and the area they are willing to travel in. That could also pose a problem in that what if the person checked the item and when it got to the buyer it didn't work or wasn't exactly the same. I suppose as long as the seller asked specific questions, the fact finder could answer them and possibly take certain pictures requested by the seller.

we could have a disclaimer of some sort to cover this.

We could work something out. Would certainly come in handy if I wanted to buy something from 'that London' but wasn't 100% convinced that it was what i thought it was.[/quote]

+1
I had a similar idea, sort of a basschat independent opinion, thing?

BTW my last sale, last month, was to a newbie and it went swimmingly. Top bloke an' all. I'd hate to think that was just luck, because every transaction I've done on here (and the previous incarnations) has gone well and I've met some cool people.

Edited by MacDaddy

[quote name='WalMan' post='351319' date='Dec 10 2008, 10:30 PM']Isn't it hilarious the trails an [i]innocent[/i] scamster leaves around t'internet nowadays with MySpace, Facebook, Bebo & the like :)[/quote]

None nearly so dumb as: [url="http://www.bestleech.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10821#post10821"]http://www.bestleech.com/forum/showthread....10821#post10821[/url]

Allen, as you're still reading this.. if you're going to pirate albums don't do it with a name that's easily recognisable. Anyone who has his address, feel free to pass it along to the usual interested parties, he'll at least get a Cease and Desist from them unless they fancy proving a point and sticking him with a nice big fine :huh:

[quote name='BassManKev' post='351418' date='Dec 11 2008, 05:32 AM']is it the right time to ask that newbies shouldnt be aloud to post threads in the for sales forums yet??? or are the mods still gunna insist its up to the buyer to have the sense not to go into a dodgy deal, despite the person ripped off this time being a long standing member?[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that, cause now, I'm the newbie, and the victim... by a non newbie member...
I posted in Off topic concerning a trade by now...

So I think it's more related by honnesty than to be a newbie or not, isn't it ?

[quote name='flychris' post='355102' date='Dec 15 2008, 03:10 PM']I'm not so sure about that, cause now, I'm the newbie, and the victim... by a non newbie member...
I posted in Off topic concerning a trade by now...

So I think it's more related by honnesty than to be a newbie or not, isn't it ?[/quote]

I think so too and I hope you get your money back.

I've done a lot of deals here, met some good people and never once been robbed or abused.

[quote]is it the right time to ask that newbies shouldnt be aloud to post threads in the for sales forums yet???[/quote]

I can sympathise with Ped if this sort of comment makes him feel like jumping through the nearest window.

This has been done to absolute death and you know that Kev.

Peter