Why become a member? ×

Allen_Baker a.k.a 'Chelios'

Beedster

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='355119' date='Dec 15 2008, 03:28 PM']I can sympathise with Ped if this sort of comment makes him feel like jumping through the nearest window.

This has been done to absolute death and you know that Kev.

Peter[/quote]

Thing is, if newbies sign up and then post loads of drivel posts a la bassmankev, does that mean they are no longer a newbie?

[quote name='flychris' post='355102' date='Dec 15 2008, 03:10 PM']I'm not so sure about that, cause now, I'm the newbie, and the victim... by a non newbie member...
I posted in Off topic concerning a trade by now...

So I think it's more related by honnesty than to be a newbie or not, isn't it ?[/quote]

+1

There's a difference between (1) taking the money and keeping the goods, and (2) selling something broken and then claiming it was damaged in the post.

But they're both forms of dishonesty.

Logically, Type (1) is the sort of thing a dishonest newbie might try, knowing he can disappear without (much) trace. Type (2) is the sort of thing a dishonest long-term member might try, hoping to get away with it.

I'm sure there are also Type (3), Type (4), etc.

Ultimately FlyChris is right. It's not about number of posts, it's about fundamental honesty. Most of us have it. Some don't.

I've been a regular on this Board for quite a while, done a fair few deals with other BC members. Not one of them has been anything other than a delight to deal with.

I don't think I'm especially careful. Just lucky, I guess. My turn will come.

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='355261' date='Dec 15 2008, 06:38 PM']Ultimately FlyChris is right. It's not about number of posts, it's about fundamental honesty. Most of us have it. Some don't.[/quote]
Yep. When I joined, as well as taking part in lots of discussions, I also had a lot of gear to sell.

I offered as many kinds of things as I could think of to help people trust me. My reputation meant a lot to me, not just at the time, but for the future too. I also bought plenty of stuff at the same time. I travelled hundreds of miles to do so. As well as buying and selling gear, it was about earning other BCers respect.

Don't want to keep going over old ground, but I also said at the time, as a newbie, I would've been happy to pay a fee to sell and maybe that could've been refundable once a certain amount of positive feedback had been reached.

Anyway........Allen.........do yourself a favour and do the RIGHT thing. Never done a deal with Beedster myself, but he gave me his time and expertise when I was looking to sell something when I was a newbie. That made me respect him right from the start.

Take the amp back, give him a full refund including the postage, and try to salvage something for yourself while there's the tiniest possibility you can.

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='355263' date='Dec 15 2008, 06:43 PM']Kev's not a 'Newbie' but he can behave like a 'Noob' at times :)

Mind I was young once, a long time ago.[/quote]

Wasn't suggesting he was... he just posts a lot of drivel threads to keep him in the top posters... for some reason.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='481098' date='May 6 2009, 04:00 PM']Just flicking through some old posts. How did this turn out in the end?[/quote]

I think I posted the outcome elsewhere but there were two faults with the amp costing me, IIRC, just over £50 to repair. I never heard from A_B, but that's not really susprising I guess!
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='481102' date='May 6 2009, 04:07 PM']I think I posted the outcome elsewhere but there were two faults with the amp costing me, IIRC, just over £50 to repair. I never heard from A_B, but that's not really susprising I guess!
Chris[/quote]

There you go then, confirmation that Allen_Baker is a complete ****.

[quote name='Twigman' post='481289' date='May 6 2009, 06:25 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=4887"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showuser=4887[/url]

Never to be seen again no doubt.[/quote]

At least not under that account name...

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='481272' date='May 6 2009, 06:11 PM']Man I'm ashamed that a fellow Scot pulled this sh|tty stunt on you. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I'm not holding the entire nation accountable :lol:

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='481311' date='May 6 2009, 06:44 PM']At least not under that account name...[/quote]

Indeed, there's a few sneaky folks around here who post under at least two names.

And yes, if you're reading this, I am talking about you :)

Thanks to a sharp eyed Hamster, I've checked a couple of user accounts and it turns out that Allen Baker and Chelios are using the similar email addresses and identical IP addresses. I think a bit of an explanation is in order, personally.

I've PM'd Allen Baker that the Chelios account has been frozen and unless that explanation on this thread is offered in the next 24 hours, both accounts will be permanently banned.

I'm right glad I resurrected this thread then. If that is him, I'm f*ckin popped. I've just read a few posts and he's been fairly active (including trading) since signing up in January and even had the gall to poke fun at some dodgy sellers. W*nk! :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='481445' date='May 6 2009, 09:40 PM']Indeed, there's a few sneaky folks around here who post under at least two names.

And yes, if you're reading this, I am talking about you :)[/quote]

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='481518' date='May 6 2009, 11:34 PM']Thanks to a sharp eyed Hamster, I've checked a couple of user accounts and it turns out that Allen Baker and Chelios are using the similar email addresses and identical IP addresses. I think a bit of an explanation is in order, personally.

I've PM'd Allen Baker that the Chelios account has been frozen and unless that explanation on this thread is offered in the next 24 hours, both accounts will be permanently banned.[/quote]

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='481537' date='May 6 2009, 11:59 PM']I'm right glad I resurrected this thread then. If that is him, I'm f*ckin popped. I've just read a few posts and he's been fairly active (including trading) since signing up in January and even had the gall to poke fun at some dodgy sellers. W*nk! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Thanks Kiwi & Ou7shined. Thanks also for the PMs from people who've traded with him recently. I now have Mr Baker's address, phone numbers etc.

So, am I going to get my £50 back Allen/Chelios?

All joking aside, can I ask that anyone who dealt with Allen Baker (or any of his aliases) doesn't give out his address or phone number on BC. Much as I appreciate the sentiments that have been expressed on the issue here and by PM, it's only £50, and I wrote it off months ago. If Allen wants to refund me and restore some of his credibility, that would certainly be appreciated, but I don't want anyone interventing on my behalf, no matter how well intentioned the intervention.
Cheers
Chris

Edited by Beedster