Why become a member? ×

Your Strengths & Weaknesses

Bluewine

You've seen all the YouTube clips of 2 years old with incredible technical ability and unbelievable chops.

Fact, no matter how much most of practice and study we're never going to play at that level.

Have you identified what you are good at, your strengths and where you fall short, your weaknesses.

Please comment 

Blue

FB_IMG_1531108732532.jpg

9 minutes ago, thepurpleblob said:

I have decent gear, a car that starts, I turn up on time having learned the parts, I don't drink or take drugs and I'm not excessively grumpy.

My ability is entirely mediocre! 

Excellent selling points in my opinion.

Blue

• Like 3

I like to think my strength is knowing how to be in a band as well as understanding my role in a band.

I've been playing in bands since 1966. I have good basic understanding of chords ,what notes are in all the chords and how to make sense of it all. The ability to play bass lines that make musical sense and provide a solid foundation for any song. I'm certainly not the guy with the fancy riffs and a lot of technical ability.

I'm not a complainer, I can't control others members behaviors or ideas. I sign on to play gigs , play bass and sing background vocals. I don't care about material choice, it's not why I'm in the band.

My weakness, age. Playing 4 hour gigs is becoming increasingly difficult for me.

Blue

I,m lucky in the fact that I have excellent timekeeping abilities. I dont just mean getting to gigs early, but have  a good "Internal Clock" if that makes sense.

Give me a good drummer with the same and we are a rock solid rhythm section.

My weakness is that as a musician I am lazy. A couple of run throughs and its "Yea, that'll do" 🙄

Edited by Hobbayne
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hobbayne said:

I,m lucky in the fact that I have excellent timekeeping abilities. I dont just mean getting to gigs early, but have  good "Internal Clock" if that makes sense.

Give me a good drummer with the same and we are a rock solid rhythm section.

My weakness is that Ias a musician I am lazy. A couple of run throughs and its "Yea, that'll do" 🙄

Unbelievable how hard our job is when we have to work with weak drummers.

Blue

• Thanks 1

Strength - the ability to burp reasonably long words although I have not yet attained my sorely missed good friend Paul Raven’s (RIP) eructation goal of burping the word archbishop, however I shall continue to seek this holy grail.

Weakness - I cannot stop buying clip-on tuners.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Strengths - Any new covers we do I listen to the song, learn it and then practice it until my fingers bleed. I hate being the guy who turns up for rehearsal and stops the song halfway through to ask "how does that bit go again". I prefer to tut and roll my eyes 😎.

- I got pretty decent lightweight, small rig so my set up and take down time is pretty quick and I don't take up half the stage (I usually have time to help the drummer carry his case of doom)

Weaknesses - BVs, I'm rubbish at them. Any hints and tips would be welcome, I'm trying to learn at the mo.

- I can't read music

- I don't solo very well (drums stop, very bad...)

Overall - A solid, ok-ish, no frills bass player...any takers?

Strengths - I would like to think that I'm reliable, have good gear, learn new tunes in time for rehearsals, play sober (but enjoy a post gig beer)

Weaknesses - Can't slap, can't sing, rubbish at soloing, still can't get the hang of 5ers

Quite like super al in many ways.  There's a fighting change we may even share a Christian name....

Edited by ead

I know a few people that  can play very fast  but  when I heard them in the studio they had no  timing.  for me it’s all about the groove  and keeping the Bassline in the pocket       A minor weakness of mine was muting and ghost notes so I studied it in quite depth  which transformed my Basslines 

47 minutes ago, ead said:

Strengths - I would like to think that I'm reliable, have good gear, learn new tunes in time for rehearsals, play sober (but enjoy a post gig beer)

Weaknesses - Can't slap, can't sing, rubbish at soloing, still can't get the hang of 5ers

Quite like super al in many ways.  There's a fighting change we may even share a Christian name....

Never been a big fan of my Christian name, so glad when peeps starting calling me big al and super al. Dyslexics tend to think I'm anal (OK,OK, I'm getting my coat. Apologies to dyslexics)

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, ead said:

I'm too old school for my own good.

I don't slap, solo or play 5ers either. None are necessary in my band. 

Blue

Good: playing with the drummer, playing melodic lines, keeping time, well maintained and good quality gear, turn up to practice and gigs on time, pay my way, lift the gear, drive, good at writing riffs / song composition, good stage presence. 

Bad: often play too many notes, difficulty singing, often play too loud - too large of a rig (I transport it so why not) little knowledge of theory, don't speak my mind, think I'm better than what I actually am, buy too many nice straps. 

Edited by Jonse
  • Like 1

Strengths - Am blessed with a good ear / can busk really well. Worryingly encyclopaedic knowledge of tunes means I can dep with a lot of bands. Reliable, sober and a team player. Can do good BV’s on the fly and fit in with whatever others are singing.  Always listen to all the band and keep all my kit in good order.

Weaknesses - Can’t slap, play basses with more than 4 strings, solo. Won’t entertain IEM’s even though I know they probably make sense. Can’t remember keys of songs so need a set list with them on. Despite being good on BV’s, have a very bland voice for lead vocals which I sometimes overlook and instantly regret.

• Like 1

Strengths:  rock solid with a drummer, know my kit backwards and everything is fettled for the sound I want (AKA years of tech talk and GAS), love sixers, loathe 4 strings

Weaknesses:  all over the place without a drummer, much prefer twiddling badly up the top end to doing anything down the bottom, get bored half way through, huge ego and get insanely grumpy too easily. I'm a troll in real life. 

It may come as a surprise I'm not in a band.

Edited by lownote12

Strengths - quality kit, I work damned hard to make sure I know what I’m doing and can play everyth8ng spot on before rehearsal, I don’t get nerves particularly, I can do a bit of BV on some songs and I am the peace maker in the band and can gently bring the opposing opinions together when needed.

Weaknesses - arthritis which makes some sorts of songs very tricky for my fingers to manage. Some I can get around but a couple have had to be dropped as my fingers just can’t make the shapes which is frustrating, lack,of general musically knowledge as I would love to be able to improvise much more that I can at present.

• Like 1

My main weakness I would also consider to be my main strength. 

My weakness is that I am not a very technical player, have very little understanding of musical theory and don't have many 'chops' so can't improvise or do things on the fly.  I just copy and paste my bass lines.  I learn by ear and, as a result, it sometimes takes me a long time to get a bassline down.   Lessons would help but , at 60, I have neither the time nor inclination.

I do, however, have a decent touch and ability so that what I do learn I end up playing pretty solidly.  I don't ever overplay - because I can't.  I've seen some extremely talented and technically brilliant bass players who have all the chops but, to my way of thinking, often feel the need to use most of them most of the time and , as a result, massively overplay.  Also because I can't busk a tune I will learn it which, if that is what we have decided to do, makes life easier for the other band members.  If you like - I know and feel comfortable in my space which then allows other band members the room to expand a bit if they want.

Edited by Paul S
  • Like 2

Strengths - I have an excellent ear and can usually hear things once and then play it, sing it etc. Strong technique and ear means I am competent in playing fretless. Great understanding and feel for a song musically and will know every part of it as well as what does and what doesn't work. Plus I can hear what everyone else is playing and can pick up when someone plays something wrong, misses something, is out of time etc. especially drummers. Arrangements, compositions and structures as well, be it songwriting to putting together set lists.

Weakness - I just dont listen to vocals or remember them which makes it hard if I have to sing something. Limited singing and playing at the same time ability. Limited technical ability in EQ and like to keep it simple, plug in and play although my LM3 has made things much easier. A better musician than entertainer and more than happy to be in my own world bopping up and down. Sometimes lacks a little confidence as music is my comfort zone and being an entertainer is out of my comfort zone. Weak theory, can't slap and I'm ugly.

Edited by Linus27