Why become a member? ×

What's up with the Mrs?

itsmedunc

If the Mrs is moaning have you checked she's not just transferring the moan about something else onto the gear? 

Have you removed that motorbike you were renovating from the kitchen yet? Has the water been re-connected since you put a nail through one of the pipes when putting up a Bass hanger? Do you still store used editions of Bass Guitar Magazine in the bed and when re-stringing a bass do you casually toss the old strings across to her side?

Just sayin'....

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Surely she knew you played in a band?

..........'stuff' goes with the job............

:)

That's what I say!

5 hours ago, scalpy said:

My tactic- Marry the singer.

He wouldn't like that. Well, his wife wouldn't!

2 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

Or marry another bass player! 😄

Can't have 2 miserable bastards in the house 😂

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

Have I read this right, your wife doesn't like you dumping your gear in the hall?

So don't do it.

Sometimes my gear sits in the hall but usually I'll load the car without using the hall as a staging post and I always put the gear away after a gig.

My wife's pretty good. She has more stuff dotted around the house than I do so we have an equilibrium. But as I have commandeered a biggish part of the front room for my gear my aim is  to keep life as confrontation free as I can.

It's all usually hidden. Been busy today so had to leave it in the hall temporarily...

52 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

It's ok for her to moan about stuff cluttering up the hall. A moan is just a moan and hopefully she has an understanding of why you need to do this and is supportive of your musical endeavors. If she's not; that's a chat you should have had on day one.

She hasn't moaned since the first quip! I'm amazed! I'll make sure it's all hidden again tomorrow for inspection! 💂‍♂️😂

"That PA is big"
They don't come smaller. Take her with you shopping for a smaller PA and steer her to the big stuff.

"That bass rig is big"
I have to be heard and it's still a small rig. Take her with you shopping for a smaller rig and steer her to the big stuff.

"Two bass guitars..."
Several different arguments - safety backup always wins.

7 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Now and again, along comes a thread that reminds me of why I'm never going to get married/co-habitate again... ...and  b r e a t h e ...

Good call. But they do say that two can live as cheaply as one. To which I would add,  IF you both want to end up mentally ill.

Have a lovely Sunday, everyone! Hello clouds! Hello sky! :crazy:

• Haha 1

I think this thread shows that there should be recognition of each other's needs in a successful relationship. 

For example, my missus has no say over how many instruments I cram into my music room (as long as I am making my contribution to household running costs) whilst I accept that she can have as many wierd additions to her musical therapy space as she likes. 

Currently I have 19 bass guitars and 2 6-strings. She has loads of singing bowls, a massive gong, a koto/monochord in one, several drums, a tongue drum and a Rav drum. I was asked to help her decide which Rav drum to get which is why she ended up with one tuned to B Dorian - it goes lovely with a 5-string bass :)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I have 19 bass guitars and 2 6-strings. She has loads of singing bowls, a massive gong, a koto/monochord in one, several drums, a tongue drum and a Rav drum.

I have two bass guitars and one six-string. She has loads of minging bowls, a massive thong, a proto-monotone, big bum, wagging tongue and a Rav 4.

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, discreet said:

I have two bass guitars and one six-string. She has loads of minging bowls, a massive thong, a proto-monotone, big bum, wagging tongue and a Rav 4.

I think I'll stick with the one I have! 

Just now, discreet said:

Yes, as long as you leave the music therapy space out of any arguments, you'll be fine...

No danger there - my room is twice the size so I'm definitely leaving that argument well alone!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I think this thread shows that there should be recognition of each other's needs in a successful relationship. 

For example, my missus has no say over how many instruments I cram into my music room (as long as I am making my contribution to household running costs) whilst I accept that she can have as many wierd additions to her musical therapy space as she likes. 

Currently I have 19 bass guitars and 2 6-strings. She has loads of singing bowls, a massive gong, a koto/monochord in one, several drums, a tongue drum and a Rav drum. I was asked to help her decide which Rav drum to get which is why she ended up with one tuned to B Dorian - it goes lovely with a 5-string bass :)

I don't think my nerves could take living in a house where a massive gong could be deployed at any moment.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Now and again, along comes a thread that reminds me of why I'm never going to get married/co-habitate again.............

...........and b r e a t h e ...............

😊

Amen to that, sir.  Never again.

On 01/06/2018 at 17:36, itsmedunc said:

First thing the Mrs says is - "That's a lot of equipment". 

Glance admiringly at your gear, hands on hips with a proud look on your face and say:
"Yes it is isn't it dear? Thanks for noticing, I've spent a lot of time and effort assembling it."

It's good she's taking an interest in your hobbies, that's the foundations of a strong relationship.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1