Jump to content
Angelus

Favourite song you play?

Recommended Posts

You’re starting a new band, playing songs you like, not songs you think an audience wants to hear. What’s the guaranteed song on the set list? The one you give your band mates to practice or use to audition potential members? 

I asked a good friend last night, known him nearly 40 years, was my best man at my wedding, played with him in a cover’s band and his answer wasn’t what I thought he’d say. He said It Bites, Calling all the Heroes. Great song, love it. I’m a bit simpler with Tom Petty, Running Down a Dream.  What’s yours?

Edited by Angelus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think to test out a guitarists and a vocalists ability Mr Brightside takes some beating

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like "Capitalist Disharmony", because I get not 1, but 3 bass solos in it...

And "Fight The System" is always in there, wot with it being melodic, then punky, and having a sweary chorus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I’m not playing reggae I like playing hit me with your rhythm stick great Bassline 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Thrill is Gone. Probably because I've played it with Victor Brox, who played it with BB KIng. In B-flat minor for Victor's trumpet, which he plays right-handed while playing keys with his left. I play a walking minor 7th line with a lot of sustain, love the sound, but also the memory it always brings back of being so close to true greatness.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, josie said:

The Thrill is Gone. Probably because I've played it with Victor Brox, who played it with BB KIng. In B-flat minor for Victor's trumpet, which he plays right-handed while playing keys with his left. I play a walking minor 7th line with a lot of sustain, love the sound, but also the memory it always brings back of being so close to true greatness.

Great song, I played it with one band last night in Am and another this afternoon in Bm, but both play it quite funky (to be fair, that's probably my fault!). Regards to Victor Brox if you see him, from one of the gang of teenagers who used to hang out with him at his thursday night jazz gig in Bramhall in the 70s. I've forgotten the name of the pub, but if/when it comes back, I'll add it here. Lovely chap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

Regards to Victor Brox if you see him, from one of the gang of teenagers who used to hang out with him at his thursday night jazz gig in Bramhall in the 70s. I've forgotten the name of the pub, but if/when it comes back, I'll add it here. Lovely chap.

A lovely man, and still a great, and very generous and supportive, musician. Still gigging regularly at 70+, and can still rattle the windows and raise the hairs on the back of your neck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, josie said:

A lovely man, and still a great, and very generous and supportive, musician. Still gigging regularly at 70+, and can still rattle the windows and raise the hairs on the back of your neck.

Just got it, it was the Pownall Arms in Bramhall, every thursday evening back in the second half of the 70s. He'd always make time to talk with us and encourage our musical aspirations. So I understand exactly what you mean, and it's good to know he is still playing and hasn't changed.

I'll be playing at the birthday bash for the harp player in one of my bands in a week or two, he'll be 75, and still playing (gigged with him last night).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment, the one I love playing is Put it where you want it. Simple tune from the Crusaders, but just love it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 'favourite' changes from week to week, but (bearing in mind I am trying to learn 60+ Grateful Dead songs at the moment) is their 'Sugaree'. Really good swing to the rhythm and great changes into the chorus, with some lovely bass work up the dusty end.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Irish folk band im on we do a version of Gulf coast highway. It's not the bass line. it's the audience reaction when our harmonies come together both vocally and the violins. It sends shivers up my spine. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

The Irish folk band im on we do a version of Gulf coast highway. It's not the bass line. it's the audience reaction when our harmonies come together both vocally and the violins. It sends shivers up my spine. 

Close harmonies live always give me shivers too. Alison Krauss and the Union Station do it really well. Also the Sheepdogs, a Canadian "retro-rock" band who deserve to be better known.

(good topic, sorry for going ot again!)

Edited by josie
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Favourite song in our current set is Crazy Train. We all nail it and it always goes down well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mep said:

Favourite song in our current set is Crazy Train. We all nail it and it always goes down well. 

Guitarist in a band I started rehearsing with last year ( hasn’t come to anything yet, lots of talk, but not as much action ) had that second on the list he sent me, first was Ain’t talking ‘bout love. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, josie said:

Close harmonies live always give me shivers too. Alison Krauss and the Union Station do it really well. Also the Sheepdogs, a Canadian "retro-rock" band who deserve to be better known.

(good topic, sorry for going ot again!)

They are brilliant. Much underrated !!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 "Lessons in Love", Level 42 and "Superstition", Stevie Wonder. Drumming or playing the bass , I love performing both of those songs. I would probably love them just as much if I was singing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love playing Bernard Edward songs or similar. Fun to play and always great to see people dancing . Of course there are 100 other ones I love also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guna be that guy because I play originals and say one of my own tunes called Rush. Not the hardest in my set but still challenging enough and one of two tunes I play with a plectrum. So for that reason it just feels more rocky to play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting - you're using a pick just for two songs, for the sound quality? I'll check your links...

I'm in Mcr too, we could meet up in the bass corner of Johnny Roadhouse some time if you fancy?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, josie said:

Interesting - you're using a pick just for two songs, for the sound quality? I'll check your links...

I'm in Mcr too, we could meet up in the bass corner of Johnny Roadhouse some time if you fancy?

Yeah just for the attack, whatever sound I'm after will dictate the technique. 

Sounds like a plan, always good to know more Bassists living locally. I'll fire you a DM so we can figure something out. 🙌

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NIB by Black Sabbath. Used to play it in my first ever band and have tried to in other bands I was starting up. It doesn't fit with my current band but bashing out the intro riff is a great way to check the pedals through the amp at rehearsal and gigs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the hardest to play, and i think there isn't actually a bassline in the song, but Chaka Khan - Aint Nobody.
The way we have arranged it, it's really fun to play. I think the trick to making this song really cool (maybe all songs?!?) is "less is more".
It does go down well too, so that's an added bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it varies - I will often enjoy a new bass line more than an old favourite until it becomes more routine.  In my little band I am very much enjoying playing 'Don't Dream Its Over' - it isn't hard but seems to groove and weave around the melody beautfully.  That has replaced 'Lido Shuffle' - my previous favourite - even if only temporarily.  In my Bon Jovi tribute there are lots of candidates but I would say 'Keep The Faith' because it took a lot of work on my part to get it absolutely spot on and, now that I have, I can just relax and enjoy the song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...