Why become a member? ×

Bass Bash.?

bubinga5

I went to the last north west one, everyone had their basses on stands, you could chat to each other about their basses and give them a try.

Had a bit of a jam in the middle.

Just a bit of a get to meet other members and try some gear. Sandwiches too.

I understand other bashes have bass shops attend, special guests and lectures.

Next north west one is in March, there is an events section on the forum that lists them.

Edited by ribbetingfrog
  • Thanks 1

Definition: Bass Bash is a term used for a day hiding from your so-called loved ones (family) to spend with your true love ones (instruments) and other like minded individuals in a secret location known only to those who play the aforementioned gear and frequent these forums.

There are the odd exceptions, Happy Jack/ Bluejay, Grangur and Mrs Grangur, and Silverfoxnik & Hamster whose lovely wives (only one each) support these events with copious cups of tea and cakes.

However, normally they are populated by sad old gits who want to talk about a subject (The Bass guitar and equipment) that no other band member or "normal" member of society can even bear to.

Along with the attendees, you will find some beautiful examples of the luthiers' art which are available for the aforementioned sad old gits to try and discuss at their leisure.

Other features of Bass Bashes are seminars and gear trials, (seemingly) never ending Raffles, and of course a great review by our own Bluejay which is generally better than the event itself.

Stay tuned to the "Events" thread for details of your next/nearest one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Yap, as mentioned check out the Events bit of this forum. Not long now until the 2nd Big Fat South West Bass Bash (BFSWBB). almost the most fun you can have with yer togs on!

A convivial afternoon in the jolly good company of basschatters, trying out other basses /amps/effects, blaarting about said basses/amps/effects etc. Homebuilts, vintage & rare gear often make appearances.

Tea & cake are often available, sometimes beer & someone mentioned sandwiches. Pah, pish & tish to sandwiches! Check out the photos of last years BFSWBB for the amazing spread of scran put on by Mrs Scumpymike (event organisers missus) & her team of masterful catering Scrumpettes! Wonderful!

Best bass hang out ever, bassically (see what I did there). A chance to do all the things you mention... ogle and try out gear you’d never find in one place anywhere else,  jam if you want to (I’ve never actually got round to that), meet other BCers in the real world, chat, listen to interesting and varied seminars if you want to... 

I first went three years ago, ostensibly because Silverfoxnik asked me to do a talk on Wal basses. It’s been a fixture in my diary ever since. Great bass day out.

The second year I went Herbie Flowers was chatting - I wasn’t to miss that! John from Squeeze was fascinating. Last year was Davey Rimmer from Uriah Heap. I’ve no interest in the band but it was fascinating to hear his thoughts on playing and stepping into big shoes like John Wetton’s and Trevor Bolder’s. Steve Lawson was random, philosophical and amazing too.

For a flavour you could do much worse than checking out Bluejay’s excellent photo blogs on the Bashes...

https://silviabluejay.blog/2015/10/05/basschat-south-east-bash-2015/

https://silviabluejay.blog/2016/10/05/basschat-se-bash-2016/

https://silviabluejay.blog/2017/12/08/basschat-se-bash-2017/

Basically, get it in your diary and I doubt you'll regret it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 16/02/2018 at 17:51, ambient said:

They're a bit like this, but with bass guitars instead of pianos.

the-destruction-company-piano.jpg

That's what my next door neighbours would like a 'bass bash' to be, using my gear! 😁

As has already been said, these events are great fun, very chilled out and friendly and the perfect place to try out loads of different gear..

And, depending on what workshops/guest speakers are there, they're often informative and inspiring too.

• Haha 1

Been to a few of the local Moffat Bass Bash organised by Alan from ACG and its just like minded bassists bringing along their gear for others to try. Its not too loud that everyone is fighting volume against each other and many had headphone amps to keep the noise down. They sometimes have a jam session and usually have a guest speaker. I've seen Steve Williams, Steve Lawson and there's obviously a Steve thing going on there. 

There's tea and coffee with some home baked cake as well.

What's not to like.

Dave

13 minutes ago, skelf said:

We had Dave Swift just to break with the Steve theme.

However the Moffat Bash is no more it died last year when we could not sell enough tickets to cover the costs.

So there wont be anymore.

I had a similar experience last year with the Herts Bash - very demoralising when you put in loads of work to organise something that eventually doesn't go ahead.

Not sure if people appreciate that arranging the Herts Bash always costs me and Chris money.

• Sad 1

Last year's Herts bash was scheduled for the weekend of our wedding, so we couldn't help with organising or spreading the word, or indeed attend ourselves. Maybe, for the slightly smaller bashes (as in, compared to the South East one), the optimal frequency is every two years rather than every year. Leave 'em wanting more, and make 'em positively long for that cab/effects/strings shootout! ;)

1 hour ago, TheGreek said:

I had a similar experience last year with the Herts Bash - very demoralising when you put in loads of work to organise something that eventually doesn't go ahead.

Not sure if people appreciate that arranging the Herts Bash always costs me and Chris money.

We had a good run for 10 years but the last one was hard work trying to get people to buy the tickets in advance.We had a good solid core of people but they were not enough to keep it going. We need the casual attenders to make up the numbers and support from within Scotland was pretty poor most years which did not help. With the hotels and venue booked it was not going to work for me having people only book a ticket two days before the event. I had to give everyone enough notice that I was cancelling so they would be able to book rooms if they could. I live here so I don't want to fall out with various people because I left them in the lurch.

My admiration for the organisers of any Bass Bash in the country is immense. Its a big task & you guys have my gratitude. I will always try to attend & support as it is the best fun to be a Bass Basher!

The South West Bashes (my local) have been great & very well organised by members Yorks5stringer, then Jimrs2k & now taken on by Scrumpymike. Last years was the biggest yet that I have attended, onward to this years Big Fat South West Bass Bash on 8th April 2018!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, skelf said:

We had Dave Swift just to break with the Steve theme.

However the Moffat Bash is no more it died last year when we could not sell enough tickets to cover the costs.

So there wont be anymore.

Sorry to hear that as i had been to a few of them and they seemed very well organised. I did miss last year due to other commitments and noticed there were no signs of one this year.

Dave

2 minutes ago, Passinwind said:

In the US we have a pretty strict ratio requirement for beer/basses:

BassCon%20Fam.jpg

But since I am a senior member I was allowed to slide a little last year. I'll bring more beer next time, I promise.

Nice basses. What are they as i don't recognise them. 

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Nice basses. What are they as i don't recognise them. 

Not at all surprising, it's all obscure and/or one off stuff. L-R: Marco Bass Guitars SC5 prototype, Crescent Moon fretless, BSX Model 2000 EUB.

I've personally organized quite a few Talkbass "Get-Togethers" over the years, and traveled as far as 2500 miles to attend others. Most of ours are free for the attendees, with varying degrees of vendor and "rock star" player participation. The picture I posted is from last year's Seattle event, which I think drew around 60-70 players. One had the option of catered food and beer, or not. And that beer in cans is not even available at the brewpub the event was held in, BTW.

• Like 1