Why become a member? ×

Premium Gig bags

Rayman

I've used Ritter RG7000 bags for years. Love them, I've carried Sadowskys, Overwaters, Roscoes etc in them with confidence. I have two of them, but want another for a Stingray incoming, but they're not made any more I don't think. 

I'm looking for a good third bag... but looking at Mono for example.... 180 quid? Really? Come on they're not that good I've looked at them, and a pal of mine had a strap break on one of his.... the Ritters have never let me down once and they were half that price.

Anyone got any input or recommendations... or preferably a high end Ritter bag they want to sell?

Edited by Rayman

I’m selling a brand new Mono vertigo in the sales section :) .

I posted a thread earlier about gig bags, have a look there i got some very useful replies. The Mono are about £220 now, really expensive compared to what they were 4 years or so ago.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

Gator Pro Go, they're about £110 online. I got lucky and won a new one on eBay for £70 but I'd happily pay full price after using it.

They're a bit hefty compared to a standard gigbag but are exremely well made with loads of storage and excellent protection. Handy rain cover, laptop pocket and velcro cable loops too. Premium quality of the fancy brands without the price tag IMO.

• Like 1

I've got a Fusion gig bag and a couple of Ritter ones - they do perfectly well for me. 

I did have one of those semi rigid Protec Contego ones that came with my Lull and which was brilliant in fairness tho the handle broke on it. 

I did briefly have the Gator ProGo equivalent which seemed really good (it was shipped to me in error tho so I helpfully sent it back). I'd probably get one of them next if I needed a step up from the normal gig bag. 

• Like 1

I`ve had a good few of the more recommended gig-bags, all good, but the Mono M80 is the one for me. I just wish Mono would combine the M80 and the Vertigo, as each have features that I`d like on one bag, but when push comes to shove the M80 gets it by a nose.

2 hours ago, BassBod said:

Slick bag from Sweden look very good to me.  Not seen one in the flesh, but would be at the top of my list (Levy’s are my favourite, but  they are just stupid expensive in the UK).

Steve Lawson uses them, they do look very nice.

Thanks for all that... I just cannot be doing with hard cases... don't know why.

Anyway I found a Ritter RG7000 Chromo online for 50 quid and bobs your uncle. 30mm padding and built like a tank. The Stingray will sit snug in there.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

I went from a decent spec Ritter to a Mono M80, because the Ritter simply wore out after being used to carry my bass for 4 years of weekly gigs and rehearsals.

When I bought my Mono case I did a lot of research first and although things have moved on a bit since then most of what I discovered is still relevant.

1. What do you need your gig bag for? If it's simply something to cover your bass while you carry it to and from your car at gigs and rehearsals pretty much anything with some decent padding will do. There are plenty to chose from and you shouldn't need to pay more than about £40. If you are going to be using it on public transport then you should probably be looking at one of the semi-rigid cases like the Mono.

2. The semi-rigid cases are surprisingly big and heavy compared with something like a top of the range Ritter. My M80 is only a little smaller than a Hiscox Lite Flite. At the time when I bought it, it was the lightest of all the semi-rigid cases available, but it still weights quite a bit more than a more traditional gig bag. However the fact that they are semi-rigid means that they will squash into spaces in a tightly packed car that would not accommodate a hard case, whilst still properly protecting the instrument inside.

3. The semi-rigid case do offer a lot of protection, mine saved my bass from having a 2x10 cab dropped on it. I doubt it would have faired as well in something like the Ritter bag.

4. If you intend to use it to carry your bass any distance on your back, make sure you try it out first. For me the M80 is nowhere near as comfortable to wear as the Ritter was, and I no longer use it if I intend to make the 30 minute walk from my house to the rehearsal with my bass. In this respect it fails completely as gig bag.

BTW to the OP the Mono bags come with a lifetime warranty which should have covered your friend's broken strap.

50 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

I went from a decent spec Ritter to a Mono M80, because the Ritter simply wore out after being used to carry my bass for 4 years of weekly gigs and rehearsals.

When I bought my Mono case I did a lot of research first and although things have moved on a bit since then most of what I discovered is still relevant.

1. What do you need your gig bag for? If it's simply something to cover your bass while you carry it to and from your car at gigs and rehearsals pretty much anything with some decent padding will do. There are plenty to chose from and you shouldn't need to pay more than about £40. If you are going to be using it on public transport then you should probably be looking at one of the semi-rigid cases like the Mono.

2. The semi-rigid cases are surprisingly big and heavy compared with something like a top of the range Ritter. My M80 is only a little smaller than a Hiscox Lite Flite. At the time when I bought it, it was the lightest of all the semi-rigid cases available, but it still weights quite a bit more than a more traditional gig bag. However the fact that they are semi-rigid means that they will squash into spaces in a tightly packed car that would not accommodate a hard case, whilst still properly protecting the instrument inside.

3. The semi-rigid case do offer a lot of protection, mine saved my bass from having a 2x10 cab dropped on it. I doubt it would have faired as well in something like the Ritter bag.

4. If you intend to use it to carry your bass any distance on your back, make sure you try it out first. For me the M80 is nowhere near as comfortable to wear as the Ritter was, and I no longer use it if I intend to make the 30 minute walk from my house to the rehearsal with my bass. In this respect it fails completely as gig bag.

BTW to the OP the Mono bags come with a lifetime warranty which should have covered your friend's broken strap.

True. It's horses for courses.

I have a couple of Hiscox Liteflite cases stashed away which i use for the rare occasions where I've had to fly with instruments etc or chuck them in a van full of gear.

But for regular local gigs where it's just my kit in the car, its gig bags all the way.

Yep, I use my M80 for rehearsals, but for gigs the Hiscox Lifelite comes into play. You never know at gigs if someone`s going to knock your case over, drop something on it etc, the Hiscox just provides that bit more but I seriously love the M80.

10 hours ago, mingsta said:

Protec contego, great gig bag that offers plenty of protection and storage while not being heavy. I've used mine for many gigs and rehearsals and it's been bombproof and still looks new. Mine was secondhand off these forums, but can be had new for about £110.

They’re over £200 now.

On 2/6/2018 at 20:08, Rayman said:

I've used Ritter RG7000 bags for years. Love them, I've carried Sadowskys, Overwaters, Roscoes etc in them with confidence. I have two of them, but want another for a Stingray incoming, but they're not made any more I don't think. 

I'm looking for a good third bag... but looking at Mono for example.... 180 quid? Really? Come on they're not that good I've looked at them, and a pal of mine had a strap break on one of his.... the Ritters have never let me down once and they were half that price.

Anyone got any input or recommendations... or preferably a high end Ritter bag they want to sell?

My favourite is the Fusion F1 (or the Urban, as the F1 seems to be discontinued and you may still find it in places but it's hard to find). The F1 cost me £115 4 years ago. The Urban is a bit more. I have found nothing as comfortable, with the ability to carry so many accessories, that offers nearly as much protection.

I looked at the Ritter range among others, but they're nowhere near the Fusion stuff, in my opinion. I use the Fusion F1 all the time, continuously for 4 years, and it's still in great condition (other than dirt)

I've been using my TGI Extreme bag since I bought my Sterling new in March 2016 and it's still as good as new - currently £42 from Bass Direct

It's been used for all gigs and rehearsals.

I still keep my original MM case in case there is a situation when I would be going to a gig in the van but it's never left the house since I bought the bass (the case not the van)