Why become a member? ×

The nadir of my musical career...

wateroftyne

I've played Blanket On The Ground.

There. I said it. I've finally admitted it.

Do I feel unburdened by this confession? Strangely, no - the recollection just takes me back to that dark, shameful night, and somehow revives and revitalises the humiliation, the stigma, and makes it all real again.

No matter that it took place many years ago, in a frankly terrifying pub in the east end of Glasgow, and that it was a necessary act of self-debasement if we were to leave with teeth and gear intact, limbs unbroken and bodies unstabbed.

Should I have been the stronger man, and taken the kicking, the glassing? I just don't know - some scars heal, others, it seems, do not.  :(

• Haha 1

I can't really compete with Billie Jo Spears and a death on the dance floor, but I have played some howlers, including:

Nellie the Elephant

Wombling Merry Christmas

Grandma's Feather Bed

Theme From the Muppets

Three coins in the Fountain

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes (reggae version)

Ding a dong (1975 Eurovision winner - I love it. YMMV)

Save Your Kisses For Me

...there may be others. I tend to blot out trauma.

The closest I got to seeing a fatality at a gig was at a wedding reception my old band played. The whole night was strained as it was obvious that the happy couple (who were both lovely) were the only happy people in the room. Both families hated each other and sat at opposite ends of the venue, only interacting to walk over to the "enemy" side and do some shouting, swearing and chest poking. While we were packing up, the groom's mom started laying into another guest...an elderly gentleman who happened to be in a wheelchair. To be fair to him, he was giving as good as he got. I didn't stick around to see who "won", we chucked the gear into the back of a couple of cars and got out of the area before the cops arrived. I don't miss wedding gigs.

12 hours ago, rushbo said:

While we were packing up, the groom's mom started laying into another guest...an elderly gentleman who happened to be in a wheelchair. To be fair to him, he was giving as good as he got. I didn't stick around to see who "won", we chucked the gear into the back of a couple of cars and got out of the area before the cops arrived. I don't miss wedding gigs.

Why do they always wait until you're trying to leave to pick a fight? One of the most miserable gigs I played was a local boozer out in somewhere near Northolt, where the punters clearly weren't interested. We were basically ignored for two hours, and it was only as we were about to carry the gear back out to the car that a fight broke out by the front door - couldn't they have waited until we'd gone? Thankfully the bar staff unlocked the side door for us, so we never saw how that one panned out!

15 hours ago, rushbo said:

Ding a dong (1975 Eurovision winner - I love it. YMMV)

Great song, innit. I love it too - still now, 42 years later. It's one of those poppy pop songs that are actually well-crafted, but sadly it's one of only two songs that I know by this band that I do like.

Its original Dutch version, called "Dinge-dong" seems slightly better to me in a musical sense, but the pronunciation of its Dutch lyrics is more than slightly cringeworthy to me. I guess Brits cringe at the English lyrics version.

My own nadir-of-musical-career must be the large amount of Shadows songs that I had to play in a band - right until we stopped our guitarist.

BTW, co-incidentally, The Shadows became runners-up to Teach-In in the 1975 Eurovision Contest. Whodathought! O.o :D

Edited by BassTractor

23 hours ago, Delberthot said:

We have a rare social club gig this weekend and I already know what gems we will be asked to play:

Sweet Caroline

A few years back we were offered a pub gig in a rural village, but only on condition that we played Sweet Caroline.

We assumed that this was intended to be humorous but we rehearsed the song anyway and went to the gig ready to take the piss all the way through.

Hit the opening notes and ... the entire pub froze, stopped whatever they were doing, stood up, and sang along to the entire song.

It was the pub's song, and every band who played there had to be able to play Sweet Caroline.

I imagine there was a back story to it, but we fled into the night without discovering it.

On 14/11/2017 at 15:53, discreet said:

Maybe he had some kind of problem when the new site went live..? There have certainly been some... issues. :)

He said it was password issues on another thread so guess he was logged in for ages and just forgot the password.

I have played many social clubs over the years featuring ta lot of the songs listed in this thread (no deaths thankfully)  

I can add Sailor a Petula Clarke song as particularly cringe worthy but probably the worst memory is of when we had no lead guitarist, but continued playing the same songs at gigs as when we did have one ..

.including Hi Ho silver lining and ....All right now!

No one ever complained that we didn't play the guitar solo.O.o

I have a couple that it's difficult to choose between.

We were booked to play in a night club on a Tuesday night. We didn't get very many Tuesday night gigs so took it. When we turned up the place was empty apart from bar staff. However we were assured that a coach party were on their way. Sure enough a coach eventually pulled into the car park and disgorged a crowd of middle aged/elderly folk. We thought it a little strange that most of the women seemed to be clutching plastic bags. They marched into the room, sat around the edge of the dance floor and got out their silver dancing shoes. Yes, we had a party of ballroom dancers! I'm still quite proud that we managed to blag our way through an evening of quicksteps, waltzes and foxtrots - we all had "showband" experience. Certainly not the night we had anticipated! 

The other was the time that we played at a wedding. Towards the end of the night there was a bit of a kerfuffle. It turned out that the brother of the groom had beaten his father unconscious. Police and ambulance were called and the whole venue was in lock down for a couple of hours. 

Oh, and the wedding we did where the only people to turn up were the bride, groom and maid of honour! Our trio were in danger of outnumbering the guests! 

16 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Nope ... sorry ... once a thread includes an actual death on the dancefloor, nearly dead just doesn't cut it.

This happened to me too. Wedding around 1998. The bride's dad had a heart attack and died at the evening do on the dancefloor.

Edited by interpol52
grammar, as always