Why become a member? ×

Robin Trower

steantval

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1504345387' post='3364210']
Now I have a bit more time on my hands I'm going through my large music collection and listening to stuff I hadn't heard for ages.
Pulled out some Robin Trower stuff, I had forgotten how great this guys music is, wonderful stuff.
Anyone else on here into Mr Trower ?
[/quote]

Not big time, but I do have 20th Century Blues. Great album and an awesome sound from - as I recall - a very simple setup. Recommended to me by none other than Dave Kilminster (who was one of my tutors at The Guitar Institute at the time).

Bridge of sighs is superb. The singer / bass player on most of his early stuff is Jimmy Dewar. My wife worked in a local hospital in Paisley where Jimmy sadly ended his days. He was still a character but apparently had a strong dislike for Lulu who he played with in the 60`s!

Oddly enough I've just been listening to his best of compilation on the last car cd rotation. If the next (blues rock driven) project comes to fruition I might suggest a bit of Robin Trower to the band, Day of the Eagle is a particular favourite of mine.

Huge fan of Robin, and have been for decades. He's an absolute tone monster and his playing and phrasing is (to my mind) utterly unique and superb. Seen him a few times in recent years and seeing this little old grey haired guy come on stage, plug in and then melt your face is a wonderful experience. He gives me the encouragement I need to believe that you're never too old. Love the bloke.

Saw the band back in the day - great guitarist, great songs. One of my faves is 'I can't Wait Much Longer'
http://youtu.be/npTd88r51LY

Early stuff with Procol Harum - nice groove on this 12 bar 'Whiskey Train'
http://youtu.be/u-RN2JV8hV4

[quote name='LZD56' timestamp='1504390866' post='3364622']
Saw them in the early 70s at Birmingham Town Hall - Trower, Dewar & Bill Lordan on drums. Terrific band. Think For Earth Below album had just come out. Jimmy Dewar had a superb rock voice. Sadly missed.
[/quote]

Loved Bill Lordan when he was with Sly & The Family Stone. He's my Minisota neighbor.

Blue

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1504437370' post='3364800']
Huge fan of Robin, and have been for decades. He's an absolute tone monster and his playing and phrasing is (to my mind) utterly unique and superb. Seen him a few times in recent years and seeing this little old grey haired guy come on stage, plug in and then melt your face is a wonderful experience. He gives me the encouragement I need to believe that you're never too old. Love the bloke.
[/quote]

Agreed,

Every note he plays makes sense and means something.

Blue

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1504556143' post='3365706']

Loved Bill Lordan when he was with Sly & The Family Stone. He's my Minisota neighbor.

Blue
[/quote]

I remember he had these two huge crash cymbals behind him, which he often played both at the same time! Must've killed his shoulders - real powerhouse!

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1504441706' post='3364839']
Saw the band back in the day - great guitarist, great songs. One of my faves is 'I can't Wait Much Longer'
[media]http://youtu.be/npTd88r51LY[/media]

Early stuff with Procol Harum - nice groove on this 12 bar 'Whiskey Train'
[media]http://youtu.be/u-RN2JV8hV4[/media]
[/quote]

+1 Did 'I can't wait much longer' when I was in a blues band.....absolute classic prog rock/blues/bestplayedwhenstoned track

Not that I've ever been stoned officer!

Edited by ricksterphil

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1504345711' post='3364211']
Yes definitely, as is our guitarist, we have played Bridge of Sighs at rehearsals but never at a gig (yet). Not an easy one to fit a harmonica into, and the harp man doesn't like to feel left out!
[/quote]

Has harp man considered learning to play water bells?

:lol: