Why become a member? ×

Cover band genres

Rich

Plus one on Blues being covered by the "Classic Rock" category. What about Blues nights though? It's a bit vague.

I think this highlights the flaw with attempting to categorise music. It's a reasonable attempt to keep it simple at the end of it all though.

[quote name='musicbassman' timestamp='1500440188' post='3337713']
What a weird poll. Surely 'Wedding/Corporate' is a type of gig, not a type of music?.
[/quote]
Likewise Party, Acoustic, and possibly Tribute. Interesting poll, but flawed.

[quote name='super al' timestamp='1500417734' post='3337686']
Out of 4400 respondents not one played blues covers? Or was it not an option? Feel like I've spent half my bass playing life playing the blues only to be pushed into the 'classic rock' genre.
[/quote]

Heeheehee. Isn't being marginalised like that just fuel for playing The Blues though? Folk who are largely content just can't carry it off!

And a lot of bands play a mix, we do a few which fall into classic rock (I think) but mostly punk/ alternative. Not sure which I would select if push came to shove so I probably just wouldn't bother. I wonder if a lot of people who do a variety of stuff were the same.

Disco Glam Rock Ska-reggae-bluebeat WHY seem to be the ones that work most in my area. At least the ones making any money at it....
I do mostly americana tex mex Gulf Coast stuff to small but appreicative audiences (mostly!) these days, but there again I dont do that many bass playing gigs any more either.

[quote name='musicbassman' timestamp='1500440188' post='3337713']
What a weird poll. Surely 'Wedding/Corporate' is a type of gig, not a type of music?.
[/quote]

Think this is more like what kind of band are you in at the moment rather than what type of music are you playing. Wedding/Corporate could well play some catchy rock music perhaps to some dance and soul.

In fairness, it does say 'which type of band' rather than 'what music do you play'. Some of the options are more specific than others and I agree that the poll is flawed, but I think it was probably still a worthwhile exercise. If nothing else, it confirms what we have always said on these pages about the preponderance of classic/pub rock style covers bands compared to other genres.
Personally, I would categorise one of my bands as 'party' but the other one is harder to nail down.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1500456306' post='3337842']
In fairness, it does say 'which type of band' rather than 'what music do you play'. Some of the options are more specific than others and I agree that the poll is flawed, but I think it was probably still a worthwhile exercise. If nothing else, it confirms what we have always said on these pages about the preponderance of classic/pub rock style covers bands compared to other genres.
Personally, I would categorise one of my bands as 'party' but the other one is harder to nail down.
[/quote]

I prefer it simple. If you are too specific about what music you are prepared to perform it's a lot to live up to. I am quite sure I would change my mind if good money and a long term spot was offered however.

Seeing how many categories of music genre there actually are is flipping well scary;
http://www.musicgenreslist.com/

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1500460195' post='3337902']
Perhaps you should write a blues song about being misrepresented in surveys?

Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jiving too.
[/quote]

She told me to play the blues

and filled out the survey too

My main band is what I would call a 'party' band. However we do very little Top 40 music and we don't do weddings, but have done a smattering of corporates in the past. There's a difference.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1500445676' post='3337737']
My main band describes its style as 'Funky Psychedelic Blues Rock'. Where's the option for that in the poll??
[/quote]
Classic Rock

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1500465939' post='3337981']
My main band is what I would call a 'party' band. However we do very little Top 40 music and we don't do weddings, but have done a smattering of corporates in the past. There's a difference.
[/quote]
Maybe, but not as much difference as all the different types of bands that get categorised as classic rock!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1500461979' post='3337938']
Top 40? Wedding /corporate? Party? What's the difference? And what is a Jazz covers band when it is at home?
[/quote]

We were setting up for a jazz gig and a punter came up and asked the boss what we played. Jazz, said the boss. What kind of jazz? Mainly standards said the boss. Oh, covers, said the punter. Do you know what that bloke just said?, says the boss in disgust. Cue mirth all round.

Edited by bassace