Why become a member? ×

Tuning on a gig.

bassjim

I check the tuning at the start of the gig. Sometimes I check it before the start of the second set if I am waiting for the others to get ready, although i would be very surprised if it went out.

The only time I ever did it more than that was on a Fender Jazz as that went out of tune, but none of the other basses ever have.

Let me illustrate why you shouldn't always rely on electronic tuners and at the same time point out how little an average audience will spot you being out of tune.

Some years ago at a Terrortones gig, our guitarist had managed to reset her Boss tuner from 440Hz to 445Hz. During the gig our drummer who was sat behind both amps could hear that something was wrong and kept asking us to check our tuning. Of course both our tuners told us that we were perfectly in tune. Out front, I could hear something a bit weird every so often but since we'd checked out tuning thought that it must be the odd wrong note being played. It wasn't until we were back in the rehearsal room the following week that it became obvious what had happened.

However no-one in the audience seemed to notice that anything was badly amiss, and we even picked up an excellent review in the local on-line arts and culture magazine.

BTW for those of you who are interested, the difference between 440Hz and 445Hz is just under 20 cents or 1/5 of a semi-tone.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1494259745' post='3294462']
At the start of the gig, a quick check after about 3 numbers to see how much my ham-fisted hitting has put it out, then as & when if needed, I can usually hear it when it`s gone out so easy enough fix.
[/quote]

I find the tuning needs to settle in after a few numbers as well, I put it down to the change in temp with me actually holding/playing it. Other than that I dont check unless I think I hear something is wrong.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1494257175' post='3294409']
[b]If you have to[/b] tune up between numbers there is something wrong with your bass.
[/quote]
"If you have to" because your bass is always out of tune. then I would agree! However, a lot of bass players and guitarists can be a bit OCD, or they do it as a result of nerves.
IMV Whether you can hear a tuning discrepancy or not, checking tuning at regular intervals, when appropriate, is entirely acceptable and professional... providing it's discreet and doesn't interfere with the show.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1494265309' post='3294526']
I tune when I can hear it's gone out of tune.
[/quote]
Unfortunately, ears can be rather unreliable!

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1494254788' post='3294369']
At sound check and the beginning of each set unless I think it sounds out then I'll check it again, silently of course. Guitarist is another matter.
[/quote]

Me too.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1494266896' post='3294547']
My bass was in tune when I bought it :D. That does me.
[/quote]

Mine seems to keep itself in tune! Never goes out from gig to gig! Still check it before we go on and keep an eye during gigs though.

My main gigging bass (EBMM Stingray) is incredibly stable and only needs the tuning checked before each set. There are a couple of songs we do though where I really dig in with a pick, and I always check the tuning afterwards as the attack can put it out very slightly.

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1494279289' post='3294718']

Mine seems to keep itself in tune! Never goes out from gig to gig! Still check it before we go on and keep an eye during gigs though.
[/quote]

I've got a Washburn Status like that. Sometimes I don't pick it up for months, rarely needs more than fractional turns of the tuners before it's perfect.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1494269158' post='3294585']Whether you can hear a tuning discrepancy or not, checking tuning at regular intervals, when appropriate, is entirely acceptable and professional... providing it's discreet and doesn't interfere with the show.[/quote]

Exactly my view. I'd rather not wait until I (or someone else) can hear something wrong... :)

I check tuning before we start and then only if I have doubts about the tuning (because I hear something slightly off somewhere) or after an 'energetic' number maybe (particularly with popped strings). Or if it's a very warm place and I didn't get a chance to let the bass get used to it from the outside cold, then I check during the first 20min too. It rarely needs correcting more than a tiny fraction but I can't stand being out of tune.

If an instrument can't stay in tune, it has to either be fixed (if possible) or retired from live use, in my opinion.

Edited by mcnach

On bass I tune before each set, or if I can hear anything change during the set. It's rare that anything shifts much. On guitar it's a bit more frequent due to whammy bar usage, though I try and set my guitars up to be as stable as I can get them.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[/quote]
So was mine, though I am thinking of removing the ears from the tuners so they can't get accidently knocked.

Edited by goingdownslow

I check the tuning at the beginning of the set and only bother checking again if my ears notice something amiss.
I recheck at the start of the encore (if I get time to) as a machine head might have taken a knock when removing the bass after the end of the 1st set.

[/quote]

When I worked in a music shop in the early 80s the amount of people who were totally incapable of tuning a guitar or bass was astonishing. People would bring their instruments in for us to tune them.

[quote name='goingdownslow' timestamp='1494324269' post='3294933']
I have found a lot of these strings are not in tune when you buy them though.
[/quote]

Shoddy workmanship and the "it's all about me" attitude, which is all too prevalent these days sadly. I blame Brexit and Donald Trump. And immigrants of course.