Why become a member? ×

9V batteries - Duracell Professional or Power Plus ???

dmccombe7

Went to change batteries in my recently bought Fender and it had Duracell Professional 9V batteries fitted.
I've never seen these before. I normally use Duracell 9V batteries but i now have some question marks about batteries in general

1. what is the most suitable Duracell battery to use in my bass for long life and why ?

2. what are the differences between Duracell standard, power plus and now professional batteries ?

3. what batteries are you using in your bass ?

4. what batteries are you using in effects pedals ?

Dave

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1489517990' post='3257629']
Can't answer 1 or 2 but I use Duracell rechargeables in my basses and a block power supply if I am using pedals, there may or may not be batteries still inside, I can't remember!
[/quote]

How long do they last before charge needed. ?

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1489519271' post='3257644']
I could be wrong but I think the only difference is that they come in bulk packs in plain (ish) packaging as opposed to fancy single blister packs. They are cheaper as well.
[/quote]

Surely its not as basic as that but it wouldn't surprise me. :lol:

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1489519877' post='3257650']

Surely its not as basic as that but it wouldn't surprise me. :lol:

Dave
[/quote]

I use them at work a fair bit and on the odd occasion I have run out and bought at the supermarket I have not noticed them to be any better or worse, just shinier!

Edited by T-Bay

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1489519271' post='3257644']
I could be wrong but I think the only difference is that they come in bulk packs in plain (ish) packaging as opposed to fancy single blister packs. They are cheaper as well.
[/quote]

Sounds about right to me. I used to buy Procells on eBay by the lorry load back in the day, and as far as I could tell they were identical to the consumer Duracells of the time but at ridiculously low prices. Battery technologies have moved on though so I guess it is just about possible that's there's more going on.

I use lidl/aldi 9v batteries. Last more than a year. I typically Change batteries and strings in one go, if they need changing or not. Never one fail on me.

Someone told me most 9v batteries roll out of the same factory, with different branding on the outside.

I use more AAs than anything else these days. For PP3s I use the Duracell Industrials. My current crop of AAs are some Costco-own-branded 'Kirkland' alkalines which I bought when they had a promotion. They seem to last just as long as the previous Duracells.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1489522788' post='3257683']
I use lidl/aldi 9v batteries. Last more than a year. I typically Change batteries and strings in one go, if they need changing or not. Never one fail on me.

Someone told me most 9v batteries roll out of the same factory, with different branding on the outside.
[/quote]

Our local Aldi or Lidl have different manufacturers - what ones are you using ???
The battery comparison on morning TV showed that Lidl batteries outlasted even the duracells. Just can't remember the manufacturer.

Dave

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1489526301' post='3257718']
AFAIK the important thing to look for when choosing batteries is the Ah(Amp hour) rating. The higher the figure the longer they will last(theoretically)
[/quote]

S'worth looking at the date, too, as dry cells (batteries...) have a finite shelf life. These days, stocks turn over quite swiftly, but some web sources or pound shops could have 'NOS' lots that are not at their freshest. Personally, what few batteries I still use are rechargeables. The more one 'eats' batteries, the quicker the return on a (modest, these days...) investment.
Just sayin'.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1489527543' post='3257727']
Personally, what few batteries I still use are rechargeables. The more one 'eats' batteries, the quicker the return on a (modest, these days...) investment.
Just sayin'.
[/quote]

Exactly what i noticed for my camera flash. £3-4 a pop for a pack of duracells or a tenner for 8 rechargables, no brainer really.

As for the one bass i still have that requires a battery, i just grab whatever Duracells i can find. It's probably been about two years since i changed it so i haven't got a clue.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1489524177' post='3257689']

Our local Aldi or Lidl have different manufacturers - what ones are you using ???
The battery comparison on morning TV showed that Lidl batteries outlasted even the duracells. Just can't remember the manufacturer.

Dave
[/quote]
The ones I have now are from Lidl and are called 'aerocell' 6lp3146. The only manufacturer lidted on them reads Lidl Stiftung & Co, Stiftsbergstr.1, D-74167 Neckarsulm.

They are in my bass, smoke detectors etc.

AA batteries I use rechargeable Imedion, very long shelf-life and reportedly 15000 recharge cycles.

I had to change a battery mid gig 2 weekends ago. No sweat I thought as the bass had on of those tilting battery compartments so it's 5 seconds of a job if that. I had an RS branded battery in my pocket (as I always do just in case). However once the RS battery was inserted the battery compartment wouldn't quite shut properly.

Still no problem switched the bass to passive and off we went. When I got home I had the chance to investigate further. It turns out that the RS branded item that I had taken out of a pedal was about 1mm taller than the Duracells I routinely use. Needless to say these have been removed from my spares box.

[quote name='Bolo' timestamp='1489558468' post='3257847']
The ones I have now are from Lidl and are called 'aerocell' 6lp3146. The only manufacturer lidted on them reads Lidl Stiftung & Co, Stiftsbergstr.1, D-74167 Neckarsulm.

They are in my bass, smoke detectors etc.

AA batteries I use rechargeable Imedion, very long shelf-life and reportedly 15000 recharge cycles.
[/quote]

I bought 2 off them for my smoke detectors and one failed within days. Checked the voltage and it was 9.4V off load. Put a Duracell in and its been fine. As soon as i put any load on this battery it dies instantly. Maybe just a dodgy one as the other has been fine but has put me off buying the Aerocell ones.

Dave

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1489564509' post='3257873']
I had to change a battery mid gig 2 weekends ago. No sweat I thought as the bass had on of those tilting battery compartments so it's 5 seconds of a job if that. I had an RS branded battery in my pocket (as I always do just in case). However once the RS battery was inserted the battery compartment wouldn't quite shut properly.

Still no problem switched the bass to passive and off we went. When I got home I had the chance to investigate further. It turns out that the RS branded item that I had taken out of a pedal was about 1mm taller than the Duracells I routinely use. Needless to say these have been removed from my spares box.
[/quote]

That's worth noting as my Fender has a tilting battery box that also has a cover over the bottom of battery. I noted they were a good fit but 1mm taller battery just wouln't fit in there.

Dave

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1489524177' post='3257689']
The battery comparison on morning TV showed that Lidl batteries outlasted even the duracells. [/quote]

I saw a TV program and they put 4 different makes of battery into model cars and ran them until they stopped. In this test the Duracell batteries did not last as long as Lidl's own!

I have always used Duracell but that just seems to demonstrate the power of advertising.

Lidl batteries? Seems I need to try some of those.

IIRC batteries behave differently when used continuously until they run out as in the test above and when they are used for a couple of hours once or twice a day, as would be the case with most being used in musical instrument and effects pedals.

For my own battery usage, everything that can be run off a mains adaptor is, and where I can only use batteries my PP3s are Duracel Industrial and my AA and AAAs are from Ikea where they came in packs of 10 for £1.00