Why become a member? ×

Is your bass collection worth more than your car?

birdy

Given that the diesel in the tank is worth about 10 times more than than the 1991 Puggy 405 Estate which surrounds it - the answer's an unqualified yes. Despite the fact that all of my basses are little more than curiously-shaped driftwood.

Jon.

[quote name='Lorne' post='315737' date='Oct 27 2008, 12:56 PM']Nope,1,500 miles a year Maximum[/quote]

similar mileage here too. But although I only have 2 basses (and one being built) definitely worth more than my 98 Renault Megane Classic - bass players should not drive saloons

the way things are looking my bass gear wont be worth more than my INSURANCE.

What really pi**ed me off the other day, got an online quote for a fiesta at 2.3k (wtf?!) then changed my details from Mr Stephen to Miss Stephanie and it became 1.3k. I expected a premium for being a bloke but a grand?!

Ugh.

[quote name='ste_m3' post='315896' date='Oct 27 2008, 03:33 PM']the way things are looking my bass gear wont be worth more than my INSURANCE.

What really pi**ed me off the other day, got an online quote for a fiesta at 2.3k (wtf?!) then changed my details from Mr Stephen to Miss Stephanie and it became 1.3k. I expected a premium for being a bloke but a grand?!

Ugh.[/quote]

why not have a sex change! Did wonders for me!

[quote name='markytbass' post='317920' date='Oct 29 2008, 08:40 PM']Yes, I have a Rover 100 kensington that cost me £400 and its sh*t.[/quote]

I had a Knightsbridge SE until it exploded on the way home from work a few weeks ago, leaving a mile-long trail of oil, fuel and coolant all over the main road. I got £185 for it, so yes, my basses are worth quite a bit more than that; now, I think it's about equal with the arrival of my VW (the residual value's probably better than my stingray at the moment as well! :) ) although strings are slightly less expensive than fuel, so I guess it's all relative when given running costs of each.

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Steve_nottm' post='312935' date='Oct 23 2008, 12:10 PM']9 month old Golf R32, so no......

much as I like basses, and would happily spend more and build up a collection I can't see them being worth more than my car. Like someone else said, there are 2 things I think it's worth spending money on as a "passion". Cars and Basses. Unfortunately a nice car costs more than a nice bass so the balance will probably always be on the car side.

[i][b]Basses are probably the 2nd most valuable asset though (house excluded). worth more than PCs, cameras etc[/b][/i][/quote]

The bit in bold italics is kinda where my current concern lies:

Of all the drains on our disposable cash, where does bass gear rank in your spends?

I have loads of interests - playing bass in a band, playing acoustic guitar at home, fishing, watching movies/playing video games/listening to music, scuba diving, motorbikes . . .

With three kids, the bikes & diving went out the window - I'll start again when they don't depend on me anymore or I win the lotto.

But I still partake in all the rest.

Like I said in an earlier post on this thread, my bass gear, modest as it is, is certainly worth more than my current car. But were I to replace my car, and were I to obtain all the bass gear I'm gassing for, I reckon the bass gear would still still be worth more.

I'm not really pushed about my car - a reliable & comfy 5-10 year old Jap is all I want.

My living room AV set-up cost around €5000, kithen AV maybe €2000, camera/camcorder/computer stuff maybe €2000, fishing gear around €1500, acoustic guitar was €350 or so.

I reckon if I had all the bass gear I currently want, that'd come to about €3200, including the €1500 or so I've already spent.

Thinking about all this, it seems that that the amounts I've spent on my "stuff" does roughly reflect the stuff's place in my "list of importance"

Aside from your cars, where does your bass gear fit in on the scale of what you spend your cash on?

Mark

Car - W reg Ford KA bought in sept for £1795
Basses/guitars - Dean Edge Pro 5 - £595 new, Ibanez 5 string acoustic £375 new, Laney RBW amp, maybe £200? Zoom B2 pedal, maybe £20? 'venom' LP style guitar - tenner if I'm lucky, boss distortion pedal bought last week for £39.. grand total £1239

Surprised my gear comes to that much :)

Edited by Sarah5string

At the time I bought it, no, but I've had my car a few years now. It's an MG ZS in black on a 51 plate (2001/2002) but in good nick. I think all my kit is probably worth more these days but the car gets me to work and back, paying the mortgage in a way that gigging never would for me.