Why become a member? ×

Is your bass collection worth more than your car?

birdy

My pedalboard cost more than my car-but I did get my car dead cheap :)

If you're talking value I have a couple of instruments that cost about the same,so
yeah,my whole collection is worth more than my car.

Remember-it's all good to have great instruments and everything,but if your car sucks and
is unreliable you won't get hired for gigs.

i have some very nice equipment, but i also have a top spec '03 Vauxhall Vivaro which i got last year with only 30k on the clock which is worth more.

up until this van i've always spent around the thousand mark when getting a car/van, so my equipment used to be worth more. but after 6 years of buying, on average, 2 new vehicles a year (sometimes more..) i started to get fed up of spending my hard earned on vehicles in the autumn years of their lives and took the plunge on something nicer. the £150 or so a month in finance is a lot easier to bear than a grand every 6 months... wish i'd done it sooner!

Used to be, and with good reason. Basses don't depreciate as much as cars. Now I'm not sure, because I've upgraded the car and the basses value on paper is a lot more too but whether someone out there would be prepared to pay the theoretical value is another matter.

I don't have a car. I don't even have a licence. Given that the current market value of my two basses, being generous, is about £150, they're still more expensive. I've co-owned two cars with my girlfriend and they didn't add up to more than a grand.

That being said, if you add up the amount of cash I've spent over my life on gear, even just counting instruments and amps, there's well over twenty grand there.

I reckon bass playing must be the best value of any past time and for some it's a living, my lawnmower cost more than my bass but to be honest, every other toy I own bleeds me dry of my folding.....

...strangely my only [b]keeper[/b][i][/i] car is a Corvette Stingray both of which are also basses :)

Over the last year, I've been playing a rehearsing with two bands and have used taxis to get me and my gear to gigs and rehearsals. On average it's been 3 round trips every two weeks.

I've just worked out that I've spent less on taxi fares than the insurance, road tax and petrol would have cost me for the same distance travelled.

And that's before I even think about the cost of buying and maintaining a car.