Why become a member? ×

MEX vs USA

leroybasslines

[quote name='Roger2611' timestamp='1486131021' post='3229469']
You do have to wonder whether Donald's executive orders will have an impact on Fender's Mexican operations?
[/quote]

I seem to recall the Mexican Fenders main market is outside the US.

US fenders are significantly cheaper in America, as a rough guide they generally cost in dollars what we pay sterling, so the Mexican models are less appealing. There's also a bit of snobbery over Mexican made goods.

Whilst a new sales tariff might on Mexican goods might have a limited impact on sales by making the instruments more expensive in US, I can't see how it would affect us in the rest of the world.

Edited by Cato

[quote name='fleabag' timestamp='1486129680' post='3229452']
Rediculous

You think Fender are a pillar of virtue ? How many small businesses have they bought out and shut down ?
[/quote]

Sorry fella: I'm not sure if there's an 'irony' emoji, but if there is I would have used it in the OP. It was merely a facetious quip to provoke debate.

I've been a fan of Mexican Fenders for a while - my first 'serious' bass was a Mex Jazz and I loved it to bits - and have always been intrigued by the slightly sinister snobbishness people have about them; it's similar to the prejudice against Japanese made instruments we all had back in the 70s and 80s. Obvs, the Mexican instruments are made more economically with the budget market in mind, but they're still good. Perhaps DJ Trump could look at Mexican production methods to kickstart his own manufacturing economy. <irony emoticon>

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1486132691' post='3229491']
Sorry fella: I'm not sure if there's an 'irony' emoji, but if there is I would have used it in the OP. It was merely a facetious quip to provoke debate.

[/quote]

:) OK, understood

I guess without a smiley wink or something, people will take what you say seriously

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1486133793' post='3229501']
Taking nothing seriously at all works best for me: less disappointment. ;-)
[/quote]

I think a lot of people didn't take DJ Trump seriously and are now extremely disappointed! :on_the_quiet:

I've got a Mexican P and I think it's every bit as good as my US strat. Of course, both were made by Mexicans. Just one lot were in California.

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1486136212' post='3229534']
I think a lot of people didn't take DJ Trump seriously and are now extremely disappointed! :on_the_quiet:

I've got a Mexican P and I think it's every bit as good as my US strat. Of course, both were made by Mexicans. Just one lot were in California.
[/quote]

Probably cut out on the same make of CAD machine too.

I have both US Standard and Mexican Standard Precision basses and the US has better pick up, bridge, tuners, neck, wood....there are a lot of differences. The Mexican Standard is a good bass, and I get a great deal of pleasure from owning and playing mine, but the US Standard is even better.

Personally I tried the Chinese Squier VM 70s P against the F branded Mex options they had in the shop and the Squier won hands down. However when we have our free trade deal with the US we will all be able to buy US made custom shop instruments on a trip over the pond and save ourselves a few quid because we won't have to pay import duty. In fact the Donald loves us so much he might even make them free to us Brits with an executive order requiring retailers to waive any right to ownership when serving us.

I've owned three different Mexican Fenders, two Precisions and a Jazz. I've also owned a few old US models (including a cracking vintage Jazz from the early days).

My honest opinion? The Mex P's were just about on a par with the US models...the Mex Jazz however was average and not quite on point (but okay once the frets were leveled and a few other nips and tucks carried out).

[quote name='fftc' timestamp='1486136212' post='3229534']
[/quote]

Very true. I took him seriously though...the Americans have plenty of previous when it comes to electing loonies...

[quote name='Nicko' timestamp='1486137761' post='3229571']
Personally I tried the Chinese Squier VM 70s P against the F branded Mex options they had in the shop and the Squier won hands down. However when we have our free trade deal with the US we will all be able to buy US made custom shop instruments on a trip over the pond and save ourselves a few quid because we won't have to pay import duty. In fact the Donald loves us so much he might even make them free to us Brits with an executive order requiring retailers to waive any right to ownership when serving us.
[/quote]

I'd vote for that. But don't get Donald started on China...

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1486137088' post='3229555']
I have both US Standard and Mexican Standard Precision basses and the US has better pick up, bridge, tuners, neck, wood....there are a lot of differences. The Mexican Standard is a good bass, and I get a great deal of pleasure from owning and playing mine, but the US Standard is even better.
[/quote]

I`m in agreement Dave, Mex are good, US are better. My Mex is my home use bass, my US is my band bass. I probably play the Mex more than the US in fact, but at band volumes the US sounds better, and responds better to the dynamics of my playing.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1486133270' post='3229499']
I have had a couple of Mexican P Basses and they were OK. My Nate Mendel however, knocks the spots off some US Fenders.
[/quote]

I second that! The copy of the Mendel bass I tried was way better than the US models I tried.

I have two 'higher end' MIM instruments.

Baja Telecaster - USA pickups, 50's styling, massive fat neck....SUPERB. Build quality is amazing.

Flea Road Worn Jazz Bass - USA pickups, unique colour, plays superb....build quality again is amazing. It plays better than my MIA Fender Jazz.

I've played a few absolutely awful USA Fenders as well....

The MIM series, especially the higher end (I'm eyeing up a Jazzmaster at the mo) are very good.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1486127938' post='3229432']
Take that, Donald. Arriba!
[/quote]

If you want to add political and ethical correctness to your buying decisions you're going to save a lot of money. Don't buy any bass that came out of the Cort factory in Korea or now from Indonesia. Cort moved because of industrial action by Korean workers complaining about working practises that have been banned here for 100 years. And give those Chinese basses a miss.

Better stop buying that petrol from Saudi and gas from Russia and check out those clothes you're wearing as well.

The British Government, Robin Cook, tried an "ethical" foreign policy. It lasted a few months, then they had to go back to doing business with the despots and dictators.

I was looking at the possibilities of a buy British policy. I'e got the cabs and I'd love to find the right Overwater, but so far I've not found any British amps that I prefer to my US ones.

According to The Fender Book (updated edition) by Tony Bacon and Paul Day, on page 80, I copied this, as it is.
Technically speaking, Fender's Mexican plant doesn't manufacture guitars. It assembles guitars. Mike Lewis, vice president of marketing for electric guitars at Fender, explains that the bodies and necks for the company's Made In Mexico guitars are produced at the US factory in Corona and then sent down to the Mexican plant. ''There they sand them, paint them and buff them, and assemble them into guitars, with their own hardware. Also, they make their own pickups there, as well as all the Fender strings.
So it would seem that they CNC all the wood bits in Corona. I hear USA bodies are 3 piece blanks, Mex are 5 piece. I can understand why they wouldnt have two sets of the same CNC machines. One set in Corona and another 180 miles south in Ensenada.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1486156880' post='3229782']
My Mex Precision was better than quite a few US of A Fenders i tried. Infact some of those good ole mercan instruments were utter sh*te imho.
[/quote]

But as ever I've played some awful Mex basses (never a bad Mex guitar tbf) and never found a Mex as good as my U.S. Jazz.