Why become a member? ×

Coolest of bass players

Barking Spiders

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1486200785' post='3229967']
Just a quick question - what is the "coolest" way to play your bass?
A. On your lap, sitting down.
B. On a the longest strap possible, down by your knees.
C. On the shortest strap possible, at chest height.
D. Stood still and held almost vertically across your body.
[/quote]

That's a trick question. If you have to ask, you don't understand the term "cool". It's possible you have it confused with the term "fashionable".

Edited by SpondonBassed

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1486187056' post='3229900']

The word "kool" is [i]not[/i] cool.

Heeheehee. Love yoofspeek. [Reaches for bucket]

[/quote]

I am definetely not cool but I used kool as reference to the song I quoted, oh I am so witty it hurts. Now put that bucket away, not healthy.

[/quote]

The right notes with feel and groove.

For many years, quite a few musicians didn't even know who the Motown Bassist was, or even Bassists.
Yet there he was (or indeed they) hidden away in a Studio, pumping out Basslines as 'Cool' as you can get.
The rest is just head nodding, beards and clothes.
:D
Just my opinion of course.

Edited by lowdown

Just my 2 cents:

Back when I started to play, I couldn't care less if they played a million chops, it was all about the image - that's one of the reasons it made me want to play bass (that, and the emotion and amazing sound one gets just by touching bass strings :) )

Robert Trujillo (back in ST/Infectious Grooves days), Flea, Simon Gallup, JPJ, Lemmy, and Duff, Bootsy, Mike Starr (RIP) from Alice In Chains, jeff Ament

Depends if "cool" is a look or a sound?
The late Chas Chandler and the late Jack Bruce would have to be there for sound although Jack seemed to be putting in a bit more effort than some.
Dave Pegg, Kyle Eastwood, Duck Dunn (who else could smoke a pipe at the same time as laying down terrific grooves), Kinga Glyk ( it's the hat that doesn't for her), so for both stunning playing and cool look she gets my vote.

A. On your lap, sitting down.
B. On a the longest strap possible, down by your knees.
C. On the shortest strap possible, at chest height.
D. Stood still and held almost vertically across your body.
[/quote]

Behind your back, Hendrix style.

[quote name='Romeo2' timestamp='1486204368' post='3229998']
I am definetely not cool but I used kool as reference to the song I quoted, oh I am so witty it hurts. Now put that bucket away, not healthy.
[/quote]

I'll make a point of laughing at some point in the evening. I'm keeping the bucket however. It makes a fetching top hat once the spew has been poured out.

[quote name='Misdee' timestamp='1486151527' post='3229726']
Tina Weymouth is a good shout, also, from the same era, Sting.

I know that nowadays some people roll their eyes at his public pronouncements on eco issues etc, but back in the day when The Police burst onto the scene Sting was a captivating presence, a creative and innovative bass stylist. A role model to a whole generation of post-punk bass players.
[/quote]Good call re Sting. There was a very short period at the beginning where The Police were actually cool.

I'm right with you casapete. Too much clichéd 'rawk ' star posing.. Soz folks but a lot of the players nommed here aren't cool. Its not about skills or songs but effortless on-stage charisma. Cultivating a rock star look from the How To Be A Rock Star manual is definitely not cool e.g leather kecks, shades, bandanas, ciggie hanging from the lower lip.... errm basically Guns n Roses. Flea isn't cool. He jumps around on stage in white shreddies.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1486373328' post='3231105']
Cultivating a rock star look from the How To Be A Rock Star manual is definitely not cool e.g leather kecks, shades, bandanas, ciggie hanging from the lower lip.... errm basically Guns n Roses. Flea isn't cool. He jumps around on stage in white shreddies.
[/quote]

What if they wrote the manual? :P

Entwistle
Lemmy
Harris

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1485515781' post='3224498']
Essentially not Flea, who do you reckon to be the 'coolest' bassists. By cool I mean those who exude presence onstage with minimal effort and can play demanding basslines without breaking sweat. Kinda like this

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQk0av8L0oY[/media]
[/quote]
He's got more ASS bins in his rig than there used to be in LA1......