Why become a member? ×

It was 37 years ago today The London Calling album was released.

Highfox

By far the most played of any of the Albums I have owned,
The music and lyrical content still to this day can send me on almost spiritual daydreams.
I can escape and become one with my past and future... Such a positive feeling.
It's been a very powerful and meaningful piece of music in my life now for 37 years ,wow!

That's without breaking it down to those tasty baselines that run throughout it.
For sure my desert Island and lifetime disc :)

The power of music.

Edited by Highfox

took me a while to appreciate it, still prefer the first two Clash albums to be honest, a little bit too eclectic for me, but a cracking record and bands do get criticised for not progressing, voted the best album of the 80's by Rolling Stone despite the fact it was released in 1979 lol

Yes great basslines - I recall sitting in A level histoiry writing out the track list in our essay folders with my best buddy after we'd heard stuff on John Peel the night before -

What's the opinion on whether Simenon played all of those lines - I heard and read bits and bobs over the years that Mick Jones played them - or at least some

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1481718859' post='3194487']
Yes great basslines - I recall sitting in A level histoiry writing out the track list in our essay folders with my best buddy after we'd heard stuff on John Peel the night before -

What's the opinion on whether Simenon played all of those lines - I heard and read bits and bobs over the years that Mick Jones played them - or at least some
[/quote]I read somewhere that Norman Watts played on some of them

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1481719016' post='3194488']
I read somewhere that Norman Watts played on some of them
[/quote]
Not on that Album I think, Sandinista yes.
(I have asked him :))

Tho I do think Jonesey or someone else played on this. Different feel to what Paul normally has.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo-6dd66a8E

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1481740927' post='3194784']
The making of documentary dvd in the deluxe edition is an eye-opener! The producer was really out there. Has to be seen.

The bass tone on the title track is one of my favourite ever. The reason I bought a Dimarzio Model P!
[/quote]

Look on youtube for the making of the album. It's surreal!

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1481785814' post='3195061']
It was 37 years ago today
That Joe Strummer taught the band to play

Nope, sorry, doesn't work for me.
[/quote]
I guess that goes along the same kind of lines of that the Pistols couldn't play and Rotten couldn't sing.
1/2 of that is true lol.
I guess I'm a little bias as I spent a lot of my youth following the Clash around the country on many of their tours. Still by far the best live band I ever saw for pure energy and stagecraft, never a dull moment watching them.

Music touches us all in different ways with it's styles and feel and messages.. It's great not everybody likes the same thing.

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1481778342' post='3195036']
One of the most overrated bands of all time IMO. Two or three good tunes, but Joe Strummer can't sing to save himself. Tuneless caterwauling.
[/quote]the same could be said of a lot of people, Paul Weller anybody? if you want to listen to people with good singing voices and no character stick to X factor

IMO one over-praised band which made a half a dozen or so cracking tunes, several are which on LC. If only they'd stuck with just the original sides 1 and 2 of the vinyl release.Mind you, this is more than I can say for Paul Weller and his output.

A good singing voice and one with 'character' aren't mutually exclusive!

Edited by Barking Spiders

Never got to see The Clash, and in my early years as a devoted Pistols fan never wanted to. Only learned to appreciate them a few years after they`d split. Some great songs, but some pretty awful ones too. But imo that`s not an issue, I don`t have to listen to the awful ones, and love the great ones.

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1481778342' post='3195036']
One of the most overrated bands of all time IMO. Two or three good tunes, but Joe Strummer can't sing to save himself. Tuneless caterwauling.
[/quote]

I think that's a rough assessment, but each to their own. One man's tuneless caterwauling is anothers delight over Jimmy Jazz.