Why become a member? ×

Number of basses on stage

josie

I've been thinking about this for a while. Typical rock or blues/rock gig, the lead guitarist will have four or five guitars on stage, and sometimes will only play two of them. It's like he (almost always male) just wants to show off his collection.

How often do you see a bass player with more than one bass on stage?

I know one who had a second because some of the songs were in a different tuning and it saved him re-tuning, which makes sense.

Are electric guitars really that much more different from each other in sound than basses, or does the lead guitar sound vary more through a set than the underpinning bass sound, or is it just that lead guitarists tend to be show-offs and bass players just enjoy getting on with our back-room, backbone role?

Four guitars. Guitarist uses two completely different tunings during a set and has a back up guitar for each tuning. Seems fairly sensible to me for a touring/regular gigging musician. By completely different I would mean standard tuning and C sharp Sabbath tuning. A half step down to me can be pulled off by most instruments used as a back up.

Changing guitars just for the sake of it is s bit pointless though for me. I'm not really a fan of the 'this song needs a tele, the next one needs a strat and a few others need a Les Paul' approach. Too much time is spent switching guitars and not enough is spent actually playing.

Edited by thodrik

[quote name='josie' timestamp='1480200681' post='3182537']
I've been thinking about this for a while. Typical rock or blues/rock gig, the lead guitarist will have four or five guitars on stage, and sometimes will only play two of them. It's like he (almost always male) just wants to show off his collection.

How often do you see a bass player with more than one bass on stage?

I know one who had a second because some of the songs were in a different tuning and it saved him re-tuning, which makes sense.

Are electric guitars really that much more different from each other in sound than basses, or does the lead guitar sound vary more through a set than the underpinning bass sound, or is it just that lead guitarists tend to be show-offs and bass players just enjoy getting on with our back-room, backbone role?
[/quote]

It might be different for guitarists, guitars might actually sound different.

Even with with that in mind most "greats"
I've seen only had one guitar on stage. Jimi and Jeff Beck.

I really think it's for show.

I usually have 2 basses on stage. It's not necessary. I have a few cool vintage basses, so it's more showing off for the local bass players that come to our gigs.

Blue

Edited by blue

Guitars are easier to put out of tune.

Solos that involve a lot of string bending will do it, serious use of the whammy bar will do it faster.

When I saw the Eagles after their reformation all of them changed guitars after every single song, I saw Placebo a couple of years ago and they were the same.

Having said that I saw Robert Glasper recently and his bass player had two backups on stage but only used the one bass for a 2 hour+ set, retuning very quickly every half hour or so, so I'd guess the spares were only there in case of string breakages or electronics failure.

I've always had a spare bass on stage in case of string breakage but kept the spare with a longer strap for the couple of songs I play with a pick for a more comfortable position.
Recently I've been using my Ray with very bright new rounds for most of the set but there are several songs that it's just too aggressive sounding, so for those I'm using my P with flats.
I'm planning to bring my jazz to the next gig for the pick songs which will mean 3 basses on stage.

Nothing to do with showing off though, the stand with be tucked out of the way on stage where the punters can't see it anyway.

It's ok if your Jimi Hendrix because well your Jimi Hendrix and that's the sound you need, if your playing a couple of Hendrix numbers amongst dozens of artists then you are going to need a couple of distinct sounds imo.

In a previous band our front man had a strat for most of the set but he also needed a Gibson for some of the songs, he had a guitar tuned really weird for some killers tracks I think they were and one that was totally detuned a semi tone, the other guitarist just used a strat and a les paul.

The guitarist in our trio has a Variax :D

I'm just back from tonight's gig, and as usual, I had a guitar stand with 2 basses, both black n maple Precisions :) . Obviously, there was only one in the stand when I was playing. I take a spare as years ago I had a Precision which would suddenly stop sending any signal to the amp mid song, and have never forgotten that feeling. I just feel more comfortable having a spare there. I used the same bass throughout the gig, but will continue to take two because the law of sod dictates that if I don't, the one I take will fail.

I always have a spare - its a must! You just don't want the gig to end just because the bass player (who happens to have more basses than he needs) just decides to take one bass, cause he thought Murphy's Law didn't apply to him...

Be professional no matter what - it counts!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1480203071' post='3182554']
Last night's gig saw me with three on stage. My main Stingray which I played through most of the set, another Stingray as a back-up, plus a 5'er for the songs that required it.

They were all hung on a triple Hercules of which the footprint is only marginally bigger than the double version.
[/quote]

Understood, I guess the other reason I'll have 2 on stage and play them is because I paid a ton of money for some of my basses, for what. To have them sit at home? No way. There has to be some utility.

Blue

Edited by blue

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1480210128' post='3182583']
I'm just back from tonight's gig, and as usual, I had a guitar stand with 2 basses, both black n maple Precisions :) . Obviously, there was only one in the stand when I was playing. I take a spare as years ago I had a Precision which would suddenly stop sending any signal to the amp mid song, and have never forgotten that feeling. I just feel more comfortable having a spare there. I used the same bass throughout the gig, but will continue to take two because the law of sod dictates that if I don't, the one I take will fail.
[/quote]

I hear you, always have a back up. It might seem like a waste of time. I say dont get lazy, like it's to much trouble to bring 2 basses.

One bar we play is so small there really isn't enough real estate for 2 basses. In that case I keep the spare locked in the trunk of my car

Blue

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1480209796' post='3182581']
It's ok if your Jimi Hendrix because well your Jimi Hendrix and that's the sound you need, if your playing a couple of Hendrix numbers amongst dozens of artists then you are going to need a couple of distinct sounds imo.

In a previous band our front man had a strat for most of the set but he also needed a Gibson for some of the songs, he had a guitar tuned really weird for some killers tracks I think they were and one that was totally detuned a semi tone, the other guitarist just used a strat and a les paul.

The guitarist in our trio has a Variax :D
[/quote]

Well yeah I get that. And an LP is a totally different sound than a Stat.

Funny, Jeff Beck used to play LPs. You hardly ever see him with a Paul these days.

Blue

Edited by blue

Two acoustics, one mandolin, three electrics and one bass on our stage tonight,

I managed to knock one of the acoustics and the mandolin over in one fell swoop in my hurry to get my vampire teeth out for "Bad Things" cos' I'd forgotten to get them out of my case before hand, :D

I always have two - the one I play and a spare, which is either a B2V or a B2B depending upon whether I am using a 4 or 5 string. Either way it is small - I usually prop it up behind or to the side of the cab.

Guitarists in my regular band each take 2 guitars so they have a spare. So 6 guitars 'on stage', not that we play places with a stage.

In the new Bon Jovi tribute the guitarist takes 3 - he uses a Line 6 Variax to emulate a 12 string acoustic at the start of 'Dead or Alive' on which he can then just change patches for the rest of the song. Then a couple of others as he prefers the tone and they way they play.

It really depends what styles of music you're playing and how much you want to copy the originals. You can take as much gear to a gig as you want. You can even use it all. Excess is what rock is all about, but I don't play with guys who feel the need to use more than one of anything.

I played with 2 guitarists last night. One had pedals one didn't, both bought two guitars, only used one and they stayed in standard tuning all night. Both managed to sound exactly right for songs which ranged from blues through rock to pop without any faff.

I only take one bass to a gig. I've never had an instrument fail or broken a string and one always covers the songs I've been asked to play. IMO there's a satisfaction when you can make "less is more" work.

I always take two basses as I would hate to not be able to continue a gig if something unexpected happened to my main bass. This is more about risk of accidental damage caused by me or drunken punters than risk of string or battery issues. It also gives me the opportunity to use the 2nd bass for a song or two to make me feel less guilty for having a such a good quality backup but not using it much outside of my house. B)

The last few gigs, I've just brought the one. In the past I've had a spare onstage on a stand or left it in the jeep. Either way, it's one more thing to pack/unpack, load in and out. I could cite pro's like B.B. and Chuck who only traveled with one instrument. So I'm lazy or a minimalist.

Often 2 , my favourite 4 string and one for a few that require drop D , either my 5 or a D tuned 4

Once did a gig on medium sized public hall stage and the guitarist brought so much gear the rest of us shared 50% of the stage , he got there early and we couldn't be bothered to argue