Why become a member? ×

Glossy Neck Experiences

thegummy

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1480095520' post='3181676']
1200 grit wet and dry up and down the playing area, gloss gone. Bit of cutting compound at a later date and it's glossy again if you want to sell it on. :)
[/quote]

As Dood has already said, THIS :)

Or if you don't have 1200 (or 1500 grit) wet & dry, use some wire wool (mask your pickups and electrics first though)

I don't really like gloss necks (or painted necks for that matter), I'm sure it's all mental as my guitar has a gloss neck & has never been sticky but for some reason my head thinks that they are sticky.

My favourite neck finish is the one on my Warwick (Ovangkol neck) which feels/looks completely naked, though there must be some kind of finish on there.

Edited by Lw.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1480515088' post='3185019']
Prefer satin finish myself - no reason in particular. The best one I own is a Sandberg Cali II neck, it's like silk.
[/quote]

Same here. The neck on the Fender Geddy Lee J basses is divine! Not that I have a real issue with glossy necks, but I just prefer satin. B)

Edited by Conan

My Matt Freeman has a gloss neck and I've never though it was problem. In fact, when I'm playing, I found that if my hand's sweaty it slides around effortlessly. Maybe I'm sweating too much!

My pal's recording studio currently has a VM Jazz with a satin neck that I didn't care for. I like the amber tint on the gloss neck as well.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1480183310' post='3182374']

Although in the majority of cases with my students, a technique change has alleviated any 'sticky neck' problems...
[/quote]

Taking the last three words away has made this sound[i] very[/i] rude!

Alright, I'm going.

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1480523466' post='3185094']
My Matt Freeman has a gloss neck and I've never though it was problem.
[/quote]

Agreed. The Matt Freemans have lovely necks. In fact, outstanding basses for the price! :)

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1480715858' post='3186757']
. I expect people all experience glossy finishes differently. They don't feel bad to me, I had a glossy bass [b]before I knew it was considered an issue[/b]. satin does feel smoother though, no denying it.
[/quote]

See I think that may well be the thing here.

In general I don't think trying an instrument in a shop for 15 minutes is that effective for finding out how good it'll be in the long term. I wasn't just playing it naturally and the gloss was an obstacle, I was purposely trying to inspect various elements of it and glossy necks being possibly problematic is one of the things that I was considering.

It was when I realised my favourite guitar had a glossy neck all along and I never even thought about it I realised I might be fine with it.

Plus, I really really want this specific bass lol

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1480716483' post='3186762']

In general I don't think trying an instrument in a shop for 15 minutes is that effective for finding out how good it'll be in the long term. I wasn't just playing it naturally and the gloss was an obstacle, I was purposely trying to inspect various elements of it and glossy necks being possibly problematic is one of the things that I was considering.

It was when I realised my favourite guitar had a glossy neck all along and I never even thought about it I realised I might be fine with it.

[/quote]

Yea I think there's an amount of overthinking when it comes to basses, or like, some kind of procrastination in the form of looking for the 'perfect' bass when we just should be playing. I only mention it because I recognise these things in myself, I don't want to take away from people who really do get cramp and rsi from the wrong size neck or they stick to glossy necks like a gecko..

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1480716483' post='3186762']

[/quote]

Yea I think there's an amount of overthinking when it comes to basses, or like, some kind of procrastination in the form of looking for the 'perfect' bass when we just should be playing. I only mention it because I recognise these things in myself, I don't want to take away from people who really do get cramp and rsi from the wrong size neck or they stick to glossy necks like a gecko..

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1480510452' post='3184937']
My two MIJ basses have really glossy necks, and bot are lovely to play, not sticky at all. My USA '62 RI looks glossy, but gets very sticky when warm. I have taken to scraping off the excess lacquer with a Stanley knife blade!
[/quote]A Stanley knife blade. ?? Erm wouldnt very fine wire wool do.?

• 5 months later...

New bass day http://basschat.co.uk/topic/306640-nbd-jd-75-jazz-bass/page__pid__3310792#entry3310792
Took it to practise tonight, in a hot sticky rehearsal studio, and struggled all night with a sticky glossy neck. My Stringray has a lovely smooth, 'dry' neck, and I'd like to gig my new bass on Saturday, so what are the best recommendations for smoothing out a sticky lacquered neck? It's only a £100 bass so I'm not bothered about affecting the resale value - thanks.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1480082321' post='3181537']

The stickiest necks I've ever come across were on new Warwicks with an oil? finish, followed by a Traben bass that had such a thin satin finish on the neck, I could feel the grain of the wood. Neither were very nice to play.
[/quote]

If a Warwick had an oil finished neck, something has went wrong somewhere. They're supposed to be played, and the oils on your skin keep them supple. I have heard of people applying the body wax to the open grain of necks which creates a sticky clag. That is a costly mistake, you can tell straight away when someone has done it.

I don't seek out glossy necks but I don't mind them when they're done well. The Status gel coat and my old ACG stand out as beautiful, glassy finishes that felt great to play. Badly finished glossy necks become tacky under play, which gets worse the long you play as the finish picks up sweat. Les Pauls are dreadful for this.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1496366844' post='3310880']

. Badly finished glossy necks become tacky under play, which gets worse the long you play as the finish picks up sweat. Les Pauls are dreadful for this.
[/quote]
^This
In my own experience I've found Fender glossy necks generally OK and Gibson generally sh*te.

I ended up selling an otherwise beautiful Les Paul because I just couldn't cope with the drag (and I'm a rhythm player, not a shredder) - and I tried all the normal wire wool stuff, etc.. Then when you google it you find statements from Les Paul enthusiasts cheerfully saying that with regular wire wooling to keep exposing the lower levels then you will find that it fully cures hard and drag free after, well, certainly after a year or so if not earlier! But occasionally, you do come across a bad one...
I may have made the last bit up, but that's the gist of it ;)

Edited by Andyjr1515

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1496354163' post='3310852']
New bass day [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/306640-nbd-jd-75-jazz-bass/page__pid__3310792#entry3310792"]http://basschat.co.u...92#entry3310792[/url]
Took it to practise tonight, in a hot sticky rehearsal studio, and struggled all night with a sticky glossy neck. My Stringray has a lovely smooth, 'dry' neck, and I'd like to gig my new bass on Saturday, so what are the best recommendations for smoothing out a sticky lacquered neck? It's only a £100 bass so I'm not bothered about affecting the resale value - thanks.
[/quote]

I'd try the fine grade wet and dry paper to take the shine off, as mentioned previously. If you don't like it then a bit of rubbing compound or T-Cut will bring back the shine.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1496366844' post='3310880']
If a Warwick had an oil finished neck, something has went wrong somewhere. They're supposed to be played, and the oils on your skin keep them supple. I have heard of people applying the body wax to the open grain of necks which creates a sticky clag. That is a costly mistake, you can tell straight away when someone has done it.
[/quote]

The Warwicks in question were brand new MiG basses on the Warwick stand at two separate trade fairs, so they should have been in absolute pristine condition and finished with whatever Warwick recommend. However without exception they were are horrible and sticky. In every case I picked up the bass, failed to be able play anything meaningful due to the stickiness of the neck put it back down again.

The Warwick I own (a StarBass) has a gloss finish gold painted neck and I've never had any problems with stickiness.

[quote name='PaulGibsonBass' timestamp='1496354163' post='3310852']
New bass day [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/306640-nbd-jd-75-jazz-bass/page__pid__3310792#entry3310792"]http://basschat.co.u...92#entry3310792[/url]
[/quote]

As has been said wet and dry. I've used fine steel wool as well and it's great for taking off gloss.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1480165589' post='3182143']

I've heard that but does it not leave it unfinished and vulnerable?
[/quote]

I just use a fresh dish sponge (the rough green side) and take the shine off

IMO if a glossy neck is causing you problems then change your left hand technique.

If you're dragging your hand/thumb along the neck then you can get problems. Fully release your grip in-between hand movements and you'll be fine.