Why become a member? ×

Not getting the part at an audition.

Highfox

It's happened to me a few times.
I always feel gutted and low even if I know I wasn't totally suited to the job or musical style or skill levels. Or even if I wasn't sure I'd jump at it. Always give 100%, sometimes it's not enough,
Doesn't get any easier as you get older :)

Sometimes I just think well it's their loss, but it's a tough business when you are a sensitive soul.

What do you guys think, do?

As far as I can recall, the last time I failed an audition was when I was 16 and was woefully underprepared with regard to my technical ability, my gear and my knowledge of how bands worked.

TBH since then a good proportion of the bands I've been in were ones that I had formed so more often than not I've been the one doing the auditioning rather than the other way around.

There was one time when I really wanted a place in a band but didn't even make it as far as the audition. Back in the early 80s there were several excellent bands here in Nottingham playing post-punk electronic music and one in particular that I was a massive fan of. In fact I was probably a bit obsessed. I even went as far as learning all the baselines to their songs, in the vain hope that one day there might possibly be the chance for me to become their bass player. Unfortunately for me, when that day did actually arrive, I wasn't even asked, and a friend of the singer got the job. However, I took my revenge by nicking their keyboard player for my synth-pop band...

And contrary to what the OP says, I've found as I've got older passing auditions has most definitely got easier, as I am now a much better player from a technical PoV, and have a far more impressive musical resumé.

Yes, it's a lot easier forming bands or playing with other people you have got to know on the musical scene.
There comes a point when being 50 plus years old is not looked at as being cool :) For youngish bands who are full of enthusiasm.

I was called back for a second audition, the drummer complemented me on being tight and solid and said he thought we worked well together.
I made less mistakes than the guitarist and band leader did, so I know I wasn't out totally out of my depth.
They said they are a professional band, but have no gigs lined up and done none, so not sure if there is some disillusion going on somewhere.

Like I said I wasn't 100% sure, but it's not nice to get rejected :) I still have my main paid hobby, semi-pro stuff going on so no real biggie.

Maybe you were over- qualified?

You were too wise and all knowing. The fractions of the band that have deluded them selves into thinking they know it all felt threatened by this and swayed towards someone that can be told what to.

If they were really young then image means a lot to them. More than the music in some cases.

Although its an ego bruise, you may have got away just in time.

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1478252800' post='3167834']
Yes, it's a lot easier forming bands or playing with other people you have got to know on the musical scene.
There comes a point when being 50 plus years old is not looked at as being cool :) For youngish bands who are full of enthusiasm.
[/quote]

Not at all my experience. I haven't previously known any of the musicians in any of the bands I've been in over the last 15 years. And that has been the case with nearly every other band I've joined since forming my first one with friends from school in the mid 70s.

And I haven't been finding my age a problem either. IME musicians who are still playing in bands in their 40 and beyond tend to be a lot more focused on exactly what they want musically and from the rest of the band. And the Terrortones have all been in their 20s, apart from the original drummer and guitarist who were in their 30s.

I'm finding that in my mid 50s I am once again as free from responsibilities as I was in my early 20s and can really concentrate on doing the things that I want to do rather than what I have to do.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1478253766' post='3167844']
Maybe you were over- qualified?

You were too wise and all knowing. The fractions of the band that have deluded them selves into thinking they know it all felt threatened by this and swayed towards someone that can be told what to.

If they were really young then image means a lot to them. More than the music in some cases.

Although its an ego bruise, you may have got away just in time.
[/quote]
Thanks Bassjim, that's the perfect read for me and made my day :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1478254232' post='3167851']
Not at all my experience. I haven't previously known any of the musicians in any of the bands I've been in over the last 15 years. And that has been the case with nearly every other band I've joined since forming my first one with friends from school in the mid 70s.

And I haven't been finding my age a problem either. IME musicians who are still playing in bands in their 40 and beyond tend to be a lot more focused on exactly what they want musically and from the rest of the band. And the Terrortones have all been in their 20s, apart from the original drummer and guitarist who were in their 30s.

I'm finding that in my mid 50s I am once again as free from responsibilities as I was in my early 20s and can really concentrate on doing the things that I want to do rather than what I have to do.
[/quote]

That's cool.
Here the live music scene is a lot smaller and you get to know the same faces.

Back in about 1993 ish I auditioned for ex Gillan and Ozzy guitarist, Bernie Torme. I knew the singer and the drummer was a friend and former band mate.
Bernie Videoed the audition. It was ok, the songs were raw and not very well structured but I'd done my homework.
A few weeks later Bernie called me saying that the job had gone to someone else because he wanted this guys brother to manage the band.
I was disappointed, naturally. I had grown up listen to the Ian Gillan band and it was an amazing experience playing with Bernie and I loved all that trem stuff and harmonics.
Then I went to see a show and was amazed how average the bass player was. So there you go, try not to take it personally.

(I played at a wedding with Bernie, about 12 years ago. Bernie Torme in a wedding band, it was awesome)

I failed one a little while back, well I assume I failed, as they never had the courtesy to let me know. :angry:

I think I failed due to not being able to impress with a jazzy sort of improvisation. The weird thing was, that the audition was supposedly for a soul/function band :unsure: I had learnt the six songs asked for, in less than twenty four hours from first contacting them, to turning up for the audition.

I actually ended up not really wanting the job, as I suspected they were going to be one of those "get together every week and rehearse for ever" type bands. Even so, it still smarts a bit to be rejected.

I sympathise with the OP. I work mostly in theatres where there are usually a dozen guys auditioning for one spot. You have to develope a thick skin, which isn't always easy. I do this for a living, so it's also not just about hurt pride.
On one occasion, not only did I not get the gig, but when the guy who [i]did[/i] get it wanted me as a sub, he was told that I was on a blacklist that the musical supervisor (who was only there for the auditions and didn't work in the theatre) had of guys who shouldn't even sub on the production. This stuck in my craw for several years until I was asked to audition for another show in the same house as a sub. I got in and, over the following years, got to hear loads of stories about what a kn#b the musical supervisor was, how his decision-making process was totally flawed and how some of the other guys that also landed on the blacklist had been playing in that house for years in numerous productions. None of the guys in the band, including the MD, understood why any of us had been blacklisted.

I know it's something of a platitude, but try not to let it get to you. Very often the reasons are so banal and have little or nothing to do with the playing.

Most groups I just ended up being because of knowing someone or being there at the time. In the last few years I had three auditions. One rejected me saying that I was fine but they went with a friend of the drummer, who consequently went missing and they asked me back, and I was with for a year or so until we split up. One said they really liked me, called me back asking me to come back and then contacted me two weeks later to say that they were picking someone else because they were concerned I was 'too busy with other commitments'(?!) and the third (who I am with) when I contacted them back to ask how I did were puzzled because they thought I had already joined!

I am early 50s, my band are all mid 30s. It doesn't seem to create an issue.

Obviously being turned down for anything hurts at some level, even if you didn't really want it that much, as rejection isn't a great thing, but there are always going to be people better than you, or a better fit for what they want so you can't take it too personally.

Don't talk to me about failing auditions. The last one I passed was in 1985!

I don't do many, maybe 4 since 85, and I failed them all. I wasn't bothered about 3 of them but I really did want the other 1. That's a terrible success rate!

I get all my gigs from guys I know or have seen me play. This is why I always disagree when people post, [i]no one notices the bass player[/i]. They do if you're any good. Play your heart out and people [i]will[/i] notice.

Anyway, you're right Highfox, it isn't all about the playing and it does get worse the older you get.

Auditions, well, difficult, there are always hidden agendas/dynamics that can take a lot of sussing.

Getting older, well, not so sure. I'm 58 now and I've had 8 invites in the last two years.
OK, most of them were from desperate folks with questionable hearing :rolleyes: .

I actually think Highfox, you've dodged a bullet and possibly sub consciously scared them. A professional band with no gigs done and none booked? :unsure:

An audition is like any job interview. No matter what the stated "rules" are, if they like you best out of the applicants, you're in and if they don't, you ain't. Ability has little to do with it, provided you have a sufficient level of competence for the task in hand. It's all down to personal qualities and whether you gel with others/whether they feel they want to work with you.

It's very sensible to do things this way - the most important part of working with people is getting along. Most would rather work with someone who is OK as far as ability goes, but who they get along with, rather than the other way around. Practical issues can be overcome, personal ones generally can't (other than by agreeing not to go there or reaching an awkward truce/accommodation, which is very hard to maintain in the long run).

Whether we admit it or not, we are creatures of instinct (our instincts are what have kept us alive for so long) and make decisions for mainly personal reasons. We may justify or attempt to justify or rationalise them later, of course. I'd rather it was that way. It's so uncomfortable to work with people you just don't like or get along with, no matter how successful the venture.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1478260786' post='3167950']
...... most of the time people ask me if i want to play with them so i don't audition all that much.
[/quote]

This is the stage to get to.... or you do an audition by a dep date anyway, and if you don't get asked again, assume they didn't like you.

But you generally know why you didn't get it... and sometimes it isn't musical anyway.

Make sure you only audition for bands you have researched and know your a match for.

For established working bands, they're usually looking for a personality match and singing ability more than how well a guy plays bass.

Me personally, I lost one about 10 years ago, they went with a guy that came to the audition unprepared, but was a friend of the guitarist. Turned out the guy didn't have reliable transportation and they let him go within a few months.

Turned out the band really didn't gig as much as I thought.

My advice ask a band if they are auditioning any friends of the band. If they are I'd take a pass. Beating out a friend is really impossible.

Blue

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1478254726' post='3167858']
I audition for a band a few years back. I thought it went alright. It turned out I did not get it because although I was no better than the other guy, he could sing. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Same here - had an audition for a band at the end of last year. Did all my prep, they liked me and my playing, didn't get it because I didn't have any b/v's....

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1478340461' post='3168479']
didn't get it because I didn't have any b/v's....
[/quote]

This is it.

Forget all this angst about gear and the sound in your head. . . . . learn to sing and you'll be much more use to a band.

Edited by chris_b

I auditioned for a sort of AC/DC tribute a while back. Some original stuff in there too but all in the style. Played well but didn't get it due to them looking for someone with a "little more energy and presence" which I translated as "too old" :lol:

Fair enough, I've no problem with that. It was their band, not mine. I would've looked like their granddad on stage anyway.

Unless you're told that you're not good enough, no point in dwelling on anything like that.