Why become a member? ×

Strange response, am I missing something?

karlfer

So I put my Orange head and cab up for sale, here and Facebook.

I mentioned in the advert that I was selling most of my backline because the band I've just joined don't want amps and cabs on stage. Might have something to do with an 8k rig, 7 PA speakers either side of the stage and 5 monitors.

I got several responses on Facebook about "what sort of band doesn't have amps and cabs on stage"?

A couple of the responses, you'd honestly think I had made it compulsory sacrifice of 1st borns.

Am I missing something? :unsure:

Posts like that are usually from people who have never been on a big stage with a proper PA - nothing wrong with that of course, just says more about them than you. I'd ditch my amp in a second if I knew we had great monitors provided at every gig, obviously when you have to carry them yourself it's less of an advantage!

[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]"what sort of band doesn't have amps and cabs on stage"? - for me, usually a fairly successful band that has got to the point where they are getting gigs in places bigger than the Dog & Duck and needing to give a good quality of sound controlled by one person at the desk.[/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]Usually a 2 second adjustment on the sliders compared to each member having their own backline and fiddling all night with little knowledge of what the out front sound is like.[/color][/font]

What's the new band Karl?, are you still in the old one? - PM me if you'd prefer.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1472196715' post='3119251']
So I put my Orange head and cab up for sale, here and Facebook.

I mentioned in the advert that I was selling most of my backline because the band I've just joined don't want amps and cabs on stage. Might have something to do with an 8k rig, 7 PA speakers either side of the stage and 5 monitors.

I got several responses on Facebook about "what sort of band doesn't have amps and cabs on stage"?

A couple of the responses, you'd honestly think I had made it compulsory sacrifice of 1st borns.

Am I missing something? :unsure:
[/quote]

They are the sort of people who spend too much time commenting on YouTube videos.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1472204435' post='3119371']
When it comes to the internet I never cease to be surprised by the absolute self confidence of the immature, inexperienced and logically challenged.
[/quote]

This place isn't immune from that either, tho.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1472204435' post='3119371']
When it comes to the internet I never cease to be surprised by the absolute self confidence of the immature, inexperienced and logically challenged.
[/quote]

[quote name='Wikipedia']The [b]Dunning–Kruger effect[/b] is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of those of low ability to recognize their ineptitude and evaluate their ability accurately. Their research also suggests corollaries: high-ability individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]

Dunning and Kruger have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in those of low ability, and external misperception in those of high ability: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[1][/quote]

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1472208894' post='3119437']
[/quote] am so using this. its going on everyones setlists this weekend

brilliant!
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]The [/size][/font][/color][b]Dunning–Kruger effect[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3] is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. Dunning and Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive inability of those of low ability to recognize their ineptitude and evaluate their ability accurately. Their research also suggests corollaries: high-ability individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.[1][/size][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]Dunning and Kruger have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in those of low ability, and external misperception in those of high ability: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[1][/size][/font][/color]

Edited by bassjim

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1472222191' post='3119604']
Great name for a band. The Dunning-Kruger Effect. I like it.
[/quote]

The Gallien-Krueger effect: I think that might be a little different!

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1472224753' post='3119633']
Having played at pub and club level for 40 years or so, I would find playing with no backline a bit strange, but certainly not wrong. Wish I had the opportunity (and the roadies).
[/quote]

A set of in ear monitors are easier to carry than even the smallest combo.

So are you telling me that I no longer need the 4 4x15s and the two Hiwatt 200s :yarr: In all seriousness my longest playing stretch with one band (fairly successful, plenty of gigs) was done without backline. Folk / Ceilidh band, HH 100W pa with entire band through it, no monitors. How times change. I would be quite happy not using backline providing I could hear what I was playing. What are you doing about the drums karlfer?

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1472248390' post='3119878']
So are you telling me that I no longer need the 4 4x15s and the two Hiwatt 200s :yarr: In all seriousness my longest playing stretch with one band (fairly successful, plenty of gigs) was done without backline. Folk / Ceilidh band, HH 100W pa with entire band through it, no monitors. How times change. I would be quite happy not using backline providing I could hear what I was playing. What are you doing about the drums karlfer?
[/quote]

I'm doing nowt about the drums, any more knobs than bass, mid, treble and volume make me start twitching :blush:.
The band will be miccing them all up.
The drummer turned up to my 2nd rehearsal with an electronic kit. That didn't go well. :unsure: