Why become a member? ×

BBC Proms - David Bowie

skidder652003

A few interesting bits but I didn't make it past about 7 songs. "Blackstar" and "Always Crashing in the Same Car" were good but the rest didn't do anything for me. Any celebration of Bowie and an attempt to do something different gets my respect anyway, fair play to them for pushing the boat out.

I found it really difficult to get through. In an attempt to reinterpret the songs, it seems the arrangers bypassed the essence of the material - the stuff that makes a song great. The Kronos Quartet are great at this sort of thing - their version of Televisions "Marquee Moon" is stunning - but a lot of this Proms performance was wide of the mark. Vocally, it wasn't great - Laura Mvula mangling "Fame", I found quite painful. I did feel for Marc Almond, having to pitch against an off-kilter version of "Life on Mars", but having said that, it was not a good night for him. Even Paul Buchanan seemed lacklustre and I'm a massive Blue Nile fan.

Without a doubt, there was some incredible talent on stage last night, but lots of it was aimed at self gratification rather than creating a fitting tribute.

...but what do I know, I'm just a bassist in an R&B band...

Fair play to them pushing the boat out. Unfortunately it sank quickly without trace. Why others think that it should b applauded is up to them. I'm not a big fan of Bowie but would struggle to imagine him enjoying it. The show stank of jump on the bandwagon, milk the moment, up its own bum tribute TV. Poor effort.

Just my 2p.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469874094' post='3101626']
It would be a boring world if boundaries were not pushed.
[/quote]

I didn't see any boundaries being pushed in that performance, certainly not in the way Bowie did originally.

I really enjoyed the orchestration, but thought the singers struggled (seemed under-rehearsed, and struggled to deal with the re-working of the songs). Yes, Marc Almond was a car crash, I think I even saw some horrified looks from the musicians trying to keep with his timing (or lack of). But overall, really glad this happened, and will watch again on iplayer.

I gave up after Marc Almond's first appearance. I expected more from this; I really like Philip Glass's 'Low Symphony' so I'm not averse to Bowie's material being reworked but this Prom just seemed to lack the melodic power of the originals. I'd hoped for something joyful but it didn't work for me.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1469874975' post='3101646']
Disappointing to read all these derogatory comments from a bunch of supposed musicians. Not liking something is one thing, but rubbishing other artists' works? Hmm.
[/quote]Um, so you can't criticise anything then?

Utter, utter garbage. My FF button got more work than an episode of Later. I got as far as Marc Almond trying his best with a totally off the mark interpretation of Life on Mars. And this was the problem, getting someone to orchestrate/interpret Bowie who was clearly the wrong man for the job. David, I hope you're STILL resting in peace.

We got to see this this evening, and, although there were one or two choices of orchestration that were little too 'contemporary' for our senior ears, altogether we agreed that it was a very good show indeed, and a worthy tribute to the originality and diversity of the fellow. I'm not a collector of all his works, and didn't recognise all of the material, but found the quality of the concept to be sound. Not all the singers were of operatic stature, but (diverging from SHMBO's view...) I found them all to be fitting in context. No, not technically perfect, nor as polished as maybe even the performers would have liked, but a refreshing change from stuffy old 'proms' evenings, and well worth the watch. I may not buy the DVD, if there is one to come, but, then again, I don't buy DVD's, anyway.
I can see why some are grumbling about it, though. That's what 'old' people do, innnit..? :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1469931883' post='3102110']
I can see why some are grumbling about it, though. That's what 'old' people do, innnit..? :mellow:
[/quote]

My 'Young' boys grumbled, in fact didn't stop complaining about amateur arranging,
questionable String playing and intonation problems. a choir that sounded nervous, under rehearsed.
Marc Almond needing serious singing lessons. Lack of musical emotion and feeling, no understanding of Bowie and his music....blah, blah, blah and on it went.
It didn't stop once. So, I really didn't get to listen too much of it, as you can imagine.
Kids...eh..?
:lol:

Edited by lowdown

We were at the prom before which kicked out at 9pm, to make time for the David Bowie Prom. Thought about staying for it, but based on previews and teasers it didn't look good, and ultimately glad we didn't.

The Prom before was Bernard Haitink conducting the LSO for Mahler 3, which was brilliant. Presumably that is up on iplayer too, and is well worth a look if you're into that sort of thing, the cameras were shooting it.

Every respect to Bowie, Ronson and their music and contribution to rock and roll, but this tribute was a fail in my book.

LD

[quote name='luckydog' timestamp='1469958198' post='3102226']
The Prom before was Bernard Haitink conducting the LSO for Mahler 3, which was brilliant. Presumably that is up on iplayer too, and is well worth a look if you're into that sort of thing, the cameras were shooting it.
LD
[/quote]

Yes, on iPlayer, we watched the performance this morning.
Composing, conducting and playing of the highest order.
A real treat to watch and listen.

I just watched Marc Almond do Star Man. I thought it was pretty good. He gave it a lot and had a big smile on his face. His singing was certainly better than I thought it might be and I enjoyed the whimsical interpretation. The people there seemed to be enjoying it too. I suppose if you are a big Bowie fan it's all going to be a disappointment as it's not Bowie and never will be as long as he remains dead.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1470000261' post='3102642']
I suppose if you are a big Bowie fan it's all going to be a disappointment as it's not Bowie and never will be as long as he remains dead.
[/quote]

Absolutely. The sooner he comes back to life the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Watched it on iPlayer, although I admit to not being a Bowie fan, there were some good interpretations of his songs, and the orchestration took the songs to another level.

Unfortunately, there were some songs where the orchestration & arrangements were frankly "trying too hard" on the "re-imagining" front, an just ended up sounding like art-y fart-y clap trap. IMO o'course.

Just caught up on this.

Well done Neil Hannon! Marc Almond... very odd how he kept sharpening the high notes. He hasn't improved except that maybe he looks a bit more like Liz Taylor than before. J Cale, didn't seem to have practiced much. He struck me like those "walk-on" guests that turn up in the likes of "I love Lucy". The audience recognises them for an achievement that was made in a previous generation and the enthusiastic applause promises a performance to remember but that's the ONLY thing going for him.

Still and all, I appreciate that they loved Bowie too and that is what counts in a tribute.

I loved your work David. Thanks for keeping us interested to the very end of your life.

I watched it yesterday. Had been really looking forward to it and was a bit disappointed. It seemed like the singers (Almond and Mvula especially) struggled with the timing and phrasing. So did I in Life on Mars. Lady grinning soul was great as was Warzawa. Appeared as if the monitoring was a bit rubbish as timings seemed to ebb and flow with singers appearing to struggle. Liked the idea though and agree Bowie would likely have loved it based on his past collaborations. Also thought Neil Hannon did a good job.