Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

Just now, jimbobothy said:

… how long did it take you to do that detailing on the Spectracomp Ped? Also did you need to get authorisation from the TCESCAS 😆 ?

I was hoping you’d ignore that but I’m happy to take whatever punishment you deem appropriate. In the future I’ll submit a proper TCESCAS-01/24 form. 

I was going to buy a ‘Loknob’ (by D’Addario) but I didn’t want it appearing in the joint account 🫣😂

• Haha 3

Bit of an update!

Pedals listed in signal chain order for those that care…

Input >
Boss OC-5 Octave >

Montreal Assembly PURPLL >
Fuzzrocious Li’l Fella >
Fuzzrocious M.O.T.H >
Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler v2 >
WMD Geiger Counter Pro >
Dr. Scientist Dusk (w/ Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal) >
GFI System Synesthesia (w/ Triple Switch) >
Hologram Electronics Microcosm >
Source Audio Collider >
Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier >
TC Electronics Polytune Mini > Output

Everything is cables with EBS gold flat patch cables, powered with a CIOKS DC7 + 8 Expander, and mounted to a PedalTrain Jr Max. The back row is all raised with PT Pedal Boosters and I added an OCD pedalboard input/output unit for ease of set up. I also use another two Moog EP-3's beside the board for recording purposes.

IMG_8175.thumb.jpg.7c770027549301dd882844f0ac7a86f3.jpgIMG_8176.thumb.jpg.77e5c7423a1e57042d73353cc91eecb6.jpgIMG_8177.thumb.jpg.3b55f3508fb4151a7a909de1d962e1d8.jpgIMG_8178.thumb.jpg.e1977025cf2c1c6e25a09559a896976b.jpg

Edited by pantherairsoft
  • Like 13

On 14/04/2024 at 18:07, pantherairsoft said:

Bit of an update!

Pedals listed in signal chain order for those that care…

Input >
Boss OC-5 Octave >

Montreal Assembly PURPLL >
Fuzzrocious Li’l Fella >
Fuzzrocious M.O.T.H >
Dr. Scientist Frazz Dazzler v2 >
WMD Geiger Counter Pro >
Dr. Scientist Dusk (w/ Moog EP-3 Expression Pedal) >
GFI System Synesthesia (w/ Triple Switch) >
Hologram Electronics Microcosm >
Source Audio Collider >
Keeley Bassist Limiting Amplifier >
TC Electronics Polytune Mini > Output

Everything is cables with EBS gold flat patch cables, powered with a CIOKS DC7 + 8 Expander, and mounted to a PedalTrain Jr Max. The back row is all raised with PT Pedal Boosters and I added an OCD pedalboard input/output unit for ease of set up. I also use another two Moog EP-3's beside the board for recording purposes.

IMG_8175.thumb.jpg.7c770027549301dd882844f0ac7a86f3.jpgIMG_8176.thumb.jpg.77e5c7423a1e57042d73353cc91eecb6.jpgIMG_8177.thumb.jpg.3b55f3508fb4151a7a909de1d962e1d8.jpgIMG_8178.thumb.jpg.e1977025cf2c1c6e25a09559a896976b.jpg

Hi, where did you get the OCD in/out module? Searched the netz, but didn’t find it. Thanks & Grtz, Marc. 

On 01/03/2024 at 09:30, admiralchew said:

I've got on more 4.3 board sat here, power connected but waiting for pedals. I have a couple of plans but they may take a while to do, so I though I'd share these pictures now.

The pedals I was waiting for (two compressors) arrived so I've now put my main board together. There's one more board to go; a certain sci-fi film series themed board but there's one pedal I'm waiting on which will hopefully be here in the next couple of weeks or so.

I've finally got a board where I have an octave, fuzz, octave, fuzz chain (I actually quite like fuzz into octave even if logic suggests I shouldn't but now I don't need to choose). It's power-hungry (it needs three IEC cables) and the settings pictured reflect those decided by my bedcover when the pedals were upside down while I was wiring it, but after some twiddling it sounds good!

The chain is:

BP1 > BP1 Loop Send: Strobostomp > Opti-FET > Octabvre > Doom 2 > Subsonic > TAFM > Frantabit > MBD3 > Cave Bear > XD > Type Two > AFG-1 > ADG-1 SE > Slow Loris > DLA-2A > Nimbus SE > BP1 Loop Return > Element (underneath board)

BigBoard.thumb.jpg.556dc7ca0bfed7427dbfccab4b25ce32.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krispn said:

That Doc Lloyd looks class. Always fancied the Effectrode one but he’s taken it up a notch. How is it?

It’s a fabulous pedal. I’ve been looking for something to sit at the end of the chain and perform a similar function to a Cali76-TX and this does it very nicely.

It’s not sterile or pristine, instead imparting a bit of warmth. It seems to make each note quite mellow and fat sounding. It’s quite subtle though, I didn’t notice a massive change with it on, but I did notice it. The notes seem to bloom gently and musically and it brings harmonics out nicely. There aren’t many settings to mess with either so I can basically just leave it to do its thing.

I’ve realised I like the way the LA-2A works and sounds though (there are a lot of YouTube videos covering it) so if that’s not your preferred flavour it’s worth bearing in mind this is basically a facsimile. It’s also worth pointing out I always intended to run it at (or almost at) the end of my chain like in a studio (only the reverb and the console-like BP1 preamp sit after it). I suspect it may be a little too saturating to be run through my various octaves and fuzzes. I also think it may be overkill if you already use something like a Noble as there would be crossover with the natural tube compression. It’s brilliant with a solid state preamp like the BP1 though and the clarity/precision of tone is very hifi and articulate.

It’s a 12v centre positive 1.5A monster though so powering it is tricky (I’m using a Cioks Crux) and the fact it has tubes and is quite tall makes it a little tricky to want to keep putting in a case. I think it’ll be worth it for the tone though.

Reading the above back it sounds more negative than expected but that’s because it’s an expensive bit of kit that’s hard to try before you buy, so I feel the need to be a bit more reflective. I waited months for the second release though with the intention of having it as a cornerstone pedal on my board and I don’t regret it at all.

Edited by admiralchew
  • Like 2

I was looking at the Effectrode but I’m using a Simone pre and wondered if it would be worth the investment and ultimately stick with what I have. I used the CaliTX and loved it as much for the comp as the tx. I now have the Simone and three of those wee Lightning Boy Audio transformers scattered across the board the most recent being the Fe23 which has a bit more grit/character to it than the 2020s models which have a bit of flatter response. 

• Like 1

IMG_20240420_185009.thumb.jpg.0461be12110110dc9911a381fe0984a9.jpg

Harley Benton power board (fully isolated multi volt PSU built in). Top row are always on, the three on the top left are my drive pedals controlled by the Joyo LS-2 clone. Parametric and compressor feeding big fat round bass to one channel and the Thruster sending filth to the other, they're blended and switched on and off by the Orthos. The rest just run right to left as you see them. 

• Like 7

Current setup. Waiting for a Laney Digbeth DB-PRE, and a 60cm patch lead to connect the SP to the Wooly Mammoth clone. 

I don't think I like the Swollen Pickle on the board because the Splinter needs to be on to give it sufficient boost.  The Wooly Mammoth clone is very nice though. 

The chorus was £30 and due an upgrade to something else. 

I absolutely love the Orange Kongpressor. It adds a really nice flavour to the clean tone. 

DIY pedal board made from an IKEA shelf (remember this one kids!?).

The power supply is a Cioks DC7 screwed to the underside. 

I tend to play doom and black metal, but messing about with a 90s alternative rock cover band too. 

IMG_20240422_154649.jpg

Edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF
Chaos
  • Like 5

On 18/04/2024 at 21:24, admiralchew said:

The pedals I was waiting for (two compressors) arrived so I've now put my main board together. There's one more board to go; a certain sci-fi film series themed board but there's one pedal I'm waiting on which will hopefully be here in the next couple of weeks or so.

I've finally got a board where I have an octave, fuzz, octave, fuzz chain (I actually quite like fuzz into octave even if logic suggests I shouldn't but now I don't need to choose). It's power-hungry (it needs three IEC cables) and the settings pictured reflect those decided by my bedcover when the pedals were upside down while I was wiring it, but after some twiddling it sounds good!

The chain is:

BP1 > BP1 Loop Send: Strobostomp > Opti-FET > Octabvre > Doom 2 > Subsonic > TAFM > Frantabit > MBD3 > Cave Bear > XD > Type Two > AFG-1 > ADG-1 SE > Slow Loris > DLA-2A > Nimbus SE > BP1 Loop Return > Element (underneath board)

BigBoard.thumb.jpg.556dc7ca0bfed7427dbfccab4b25ce32.jpg

Very very nice! Is that one of the new "blackout" FEA optifets I spy?

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, lee650 said:

Very very nice! Is that one of the new "blackout" FEA optifets I spy?

It is! You got me interested in what they had to offer (like so many pedals) so I jumped on the waiting list a while back. It’s a lovely comp, although I don’t always have it on; the DLA-2A at the end of the chain has the always-on-comp honours.

I’ve had a few people ask me what the pedal with the green knobs is so, for anyone interested, it’s a Horrothia Type Two chorus. Horrothia make some great pedals and I think there’s a fuzz in the works too judging by a recent Instagram reel.

• Like 1

Still haven't gotten down to rearranging my pedalboard, so I still use a temporary pedalboard free setup, consisting of just my always on effects, my dirt pedals, and my delay.

But this is the most likely outcome of the rearrangement, using an online pedalboard manager (note that some of the pedals are placeholders, as some of the online app I used lacked some of my pedals):

image.thumb.png.f53385c00e370ca7a387cfa1f4e6cb7c.png

- The EHX English Muff'n is really an EHX Black Finger, tube driven optical compressor, though used more so as a tube preamp stage, with minimal compression dialed in

- The XVive Golden Brownie is really a XVive Undulator tremolo pedal, though exclusively used for it's great buffer and never actually engaged, which are to be mounted under the pedalboard. 

- The HoTone Wally Looper is really a HoTone Trem tremolo pedal

- The Mooer Black Secret is really a Mosky Black Rat, RAT clone

- The Arion Stereo Chorus is really a Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (which is a rebranded Arion Stereo Flanger)

My entire signal chain explained in written form  (currently in the process of rearranging my setup, following is the most likely outcome) :

(*pedals listed in [ red/bold/underline text ] are "always on" effects*)

5 string 28.6" scale Ibanez GSRM25 Mikro Bass (equipped with an EMG Geezer Butler P pickup, and strung with Elixir Nanoweb coated nickel-plated roundwound hex steel core guitar strings, gauge .080 - .062 - .046 - .036 - .026, tuned in tenor bass, G standard, tuning, that is as 3 half steps above the 5 upper strings of a 6 string bass in regular B standard tuning) ->

->> XVive Undulator (tremolo pedal, but never actually engaged and used exclusively for its great buffer) ->> EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor, with 2 preamp tubes operating at proper high 300V plate voltage, mainly used as a tube preamp stage, driven to just at the edge of the tubes's breakup point, but with some very subtle compression dialed in as well)  ->> DigiTech FreqOut (feedback generator) ->> TC Electronic Sub'N'Up Mini (used exclusively for the Organ emulation Toneprint) ->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> HoTone Trem (tremolo, sometimes used stacked into the Monarch flanger in front of it, and always mixed with either clean signal, or sometimes the Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser, from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (sometimes used with the HoTone tremolo stacked into it, and always mixed with either clean signal or the Behringer phaser from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> Behringer VP1 Vintage Phaser (clone of the original big box EHX Small Stone phaser, used with Color switch engaged for deep sweep and high resonance/feedback, and always mixed with the Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Mosky Black Rat (RAT clone, in Turbo RAT, LED diode clipping, mode, quite raunchy, fuzz-esque, high gain distortion, sometimes stacked into the Behringer fuzz in front of it, and always mixed with "clean" signal, tremolo and/or flanger from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (Boss FZ-2/Univox Superfuzz clone, octave fuzz, often used with the Mosky Black Rat stacked into it, and always mixed with either "clean" signal, tremolo and/or flanger from parallel effects [Loop A]) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output] }=>->> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix <-> Bypass] (parallel effect loops mixer/switch) ={ [Loop A Send] ->> Joyo Oxford Sound (clone of the Tech 21 Oxford, which is an all analog emulation of an Orange Amp type preamp, dialed in to deliver a low gain overdrive, always used blended with "clean" signal from parallel effects [Loop B]) ->> [Loop A Return] ->|+|<- [Loop B Send] ->> ([Loops B] empty, used to blend in "clean" signal) ->> [Loop B Return] ([Loop A] + [Loop B] mixed at an approximate 50/50 ratio) => [LS-2 Output] }=>->> Zoom B1Xon (used predominantly as reverb and delay unit, with various different reverb and delay patches, including my always on {very subtle Plate Reverb -> subtle Spring Reverb} reverb patch that is part of my basic "clean" tone, and beside that, among others, an extremely thick, lush reverb patch, used as a pad effect with volume swells from the build in expression pedal, and a trippy reverse delay patch, though also used for a couple of additional other effects, including a prominent "wah" pedal patch) ->> Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (post reverb high gain distortion, often used stacked into the Orange Juice in front of it) ->> Joyo Orange Juice (post reverb medium gain distortion) ->> NUX Tape Core Deluxe (amazing digital emulation of the legendary Roland RE-201 Space Echo tape delay) ->> Behringer VD400 Vintage Delay (clone of the Boss DM-3 Analog Delay) ->> TC Electronic Infinite Sample Sustainer ->> NUX (NBP-5) Melvin Lee Davis Bass Preamp + DI  (loaded with a digitally emulated Aguilar Tone Hammer amp, and an Ampeg SVT-212AV IR cab simulation, with a subtle low gain overdrive blended in at a 50/50 clean/drive ratio) ->

->> ART Tube MP Project Series (tube preamp and DI, with build in HPF, fixed @40Hz -12dB/Oct, engaged, tube driven to just on the verge of breakup point->

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging  // ->> Home practice // ->> Home recordings //  : 

// ->> Band rehearsal/jamming/gigging ->> Effects Return (poweramp input) of a Peavey Solo Special 112 (160W combo amp, with the build in speaker disconnect and instead hooked up to a passive PA speaker) ->> The Box PA 502 (passive full range flat frequency response PA speaker with 1x 15"  woofer/mids driver + 1.7" high frequency tweeter horn (crossover 2.3kHz)) // ->> Home practice  ->> The T.Mix Mix 502 (mixer) ->> Sennheiser HD 380 Pro (studio grade, that is FRFR, headphones) // ->> Home recordings ->> M-Audio Fast Track (audio interface) ->> Reaper (DAW) //

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Still haven't gotten down to rearranging my pedalboard, so I still use a temporary pedalboard free setup, consisting of just my always on effects, my dirt pedals, and my delay.

But this is the most likely outcome of the rearrangement, using an online pedalboard manager (note that some of the pedals are placeholders, as some of the online app I used lacked some of my pedals):

image.thumb.png.0c8705c6a968e51a15d5d18262c0360b.png

- The XVive Golden Brownie is really a XVive Undulator tremolo pedal, though exclusively used for it's great buffer and never turned on, which are to be mounted under the pedalboard. 

- The HoTone Wally Looper is really a HoTone Trem tremolo pedal

- The Mooer Black Secret is really a Mosky Black Rat, RAT clone

- The Arion Stereo Chorus is really a Monarch MFL-22 Stereo Flanger (which is a rebranded Arion Stereo Flanger)

Just out of interest - why would you use a FreqOut on a bass? I use it on my electric guitar pedalboard for doing Jimmy Hendrix style solos when you want to mimic an amp feeding back on sustained notes, but I would never do this on a bass!

• Like 1