Why become a member? ×

Post your pedal board - Basschat style!!

dudewheresmybass

A little change on my board.

EQ-200 and Darkglass VMT off

EBS drive and C4 on.

Micro Thumpinator is underneath with the power supply.

The EBS has a very different drive sound than the Darkglass and I'm enjoying getting away from the DG sound that seems to be everywhere at the mo.

The EBS is more versatile than I thought it would be. I knew what I was getting in terms of high gain sounds but I wasn't expecting the lower gain ones to be as good as they are.

I had one of the older models before and it wasn't nearly as good as this one. There's more gain available but it's noise floor is way lower, and the different tone sweep is really useful.

I might play around with the order a little. Filter and C4 always first but I might swap the compressor and the drive over to see if I like that more. 

PSA: Hotrox has the EBS for a good £20 lower than everywhere else!

April 23 board.jpg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

EBS drive and C4 on.

The EBS has a very different drive sound than the Darkglass and I'm enjoying getting away from the DG sound that seems to be everywhere at the mo.

The EBS is more versatile than I thought it would be. I knew what I was getting in terms of high gain sounds but I wasn't expecting the lower gain ones to be as good as they are.

I had one of the older models before and it wasn't nearly as good as this one. There's more gain available but it's noise floor is way lower, and the different tone sweep is really useful.

I might play around with the order a little. Filter and C4 always first but I might swap the compressor and the drive over to see if I like that more. 

April 23 board.jpg

Octave at the end and filter first!? What is this heresy!?

• Haha 2

Filter has to be first to get the best control from my playing!

Compressor smooths everything out for excellent Octave tracking. The Thumpinator then kills everything under 25hz so I can still play the lowest notes on my bass without turning the Octave off. The Thumpinator won't let it through to my amp. Idea stolen from Dusty Hill rig rundown.

• Like 1

That all makes sense, it is just far less common to see them in that order, so I was interested in the reasoning.

The traditional combo of Octave - Dirt - Filter (in that order) for classic bass synth sounds is the most common approach, but of course, there are always exceptions (and fuzz after filter does have some interesting textures to play with). I honestly think that this is the first time I've ever seen an octaver at the end of a signal chain though. Out of interest, what kind of music are you using the board for?

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

EBS drive and C4 on.

April 23 board.jpg

Doesn't the C4 do everything the Spectrum does? And the octave too...

Edited by Bigwan

56 minutes ago, pantherairsoft said:

That all makes sense, it is just far less common to see them in that order, so I was interested in the reasoning.

The traditional combo of Octave - Dirt - Filter (in that order) for classic bass synth sounds is the most common approach, but of course, there are always exceptions (and fuzz after filter does have some interesting textures to play with). I honestly think that this is the first time I've ever seen an octaver at the end of a signal chain though. Out of interest, what kind of music are you using the board for?

I use it for everything. Modern Big Band, RnB, Rock.

In my big band we do arrangements of everything from old 1920s stuff through to Bruno Mars. Sometimes the octave is there just because I can't be arsed to take a 5 string. Sometimes the part just needs a little thickening or funking up a bit. Quite often my sound is simple Duck Dunn, but if we go from an Aretha tune to Uptown Funk then I want a bit of variation.

• Like 2

I saw this posted on Farcebook the other day and had to share it here. The Big Muff is its own pedal board... apparently the owner's fitted a power brick (presumably a small one) inside the Muff which powers all of the pedals, so the entire thing is self contained. I don't know if it's brilliant, or completely mental, or a combination of the two.

image.png.83e548541fd3fc6bafdd785361cd00ac.png

image.png.14255a4346612e198260e0604a441ab3.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

That's great - I saw another Muff mod where someone put the extra pedal INSIDE the case of the Big muff, with the bypass switch poking through a new hole in the housing. If you've ever opened up one of those muffs there's basically nowt in the bottom. I also saw a Mini Qtron where someone folded the bottom section up so it was half the size. Looked pretty cool!

• Like 1

On 16/04/2023 at 21:52, lee650 said:

I've been using a small pedal board for a while with my Rock project, but my fusion band has a gig in May, so with a few additions I'd post the big one again 🤣

For this Band I'll be using an 82 JV Squire jazz and a Yamaha BB1024

Tone Enhancement section

EBS Microbass 2 - A/B box/ Preamp/DI/ Overdrive/ headphone amp and Effects loop. very useful bit of kit and great quality sound. In the loop I have all of the effects, so I can use them through the Headphones. I use this live as an A/B Box and set the eq/drive sections to be as flat as possible, Channel A is clean but with the tube sim and bright engaged.

(From the EBS link jack) - Donner Deluxe Mini tuner- kept losing the Headstock thing and got fed up of asking the the Keyboard player to give me an E 😂

Sadowsky BP2 preamp - mostly to add Treble and bass to the EBS channel B which is a drive channel. I have the Drive a zero and mids set flat, it's a darker but quieter sound. The Sadowsky equalises the volume difference.

FEA Optifet - my favourite compressor, so much control and a great tone. Depending on the internal switches, it can sound like a Cali76CB (not as bright) or a fat Diamond. The sidechain allows the lows to breath. I have it set at its cleanest setting.

JPTR FX Jive Reel Saturator - great little pedal thst just adds a warm Thickness to the tone when set low. The three switchable Diodes provides OD/Distortion abd even a pseudo Fuzz with silicon switched in (reminiscent of a Mastatron)

BOSS LS2 - splits the signal after the comp, so all effects have compression beforehand. Has two seperate lines of FX that I can switch between or run in parallel

Loop A - general effects.

Aguilar Octamizer -  great versatile and fat sounding octave, the filter and tilt EQ makes it useful. This is used for parallel octave, or switching between different octave tones.

EBS Bass IQ - this is a great sounding filter!! Lots of variation with the modes and simple to use. Not as fat or resonant as some, but has a great tight/clear filter tone that cuts through really well. 

EBS Dphaser - As above but a funky, swirly,fat and very cool Digital Phaser. I love this thing

Loop B - Synth Channel

Emma - Okto Nojs - Octaver and synthy Dynamic Fuzz in one pedal, can be used individualy or combined for Dirty synth tones.

Source Audio C4 synth- had one of these before, with a posh midi thing, only used 6 sounds in it 🤣

Synths/octavers/filters/phasers allsorts in here, but just sticking to thd six sounds this time

3 Leaf Groove Regulator - Spencers original (and to many, his best) lovely subtle sounding filter, which is fat organic and funky. Works great as part of a synth setup.

Source Audio Gemini - Every type of Modulation available. I have Chorus/Flangers and Phasers built in. Works great adding Chorus to the Analog/Digital synth sounds I have available.

20230416_135508.jpg

So as I recently shared my fusion board,I've a gig this Saturday with my rock/Soul covers band.

Unfortunately at this time I have to cannibalise the big board. But with incoming gig funds, I'll be looking at starting a small board separately (ive started with the MXR octave 🤣)

For this Band I'm using 4 and 5 string Spector Euro LX.

EBS Microbass 2 - effects are in the loop

Sadowsky BP2 Pre

FEA Optifet

JPTR Jive

MXR Bass Octave Deluxe - I use it for 1 song, a rocked up version of Superstition, will be used with Drive. It has a clean tone and tracks well with the active Spectors.

Will be looking into a reasonably cheap A/B box/headphone pre, however the EBS covers everything well.

20230427_161125.jpg

Edited by lee650
  • Like 5

Since I’ve ran out of excuses, space, outputs and money to buy more pedals, I have decided to treat my board (more like treat myself!) to Barefoot buttons. 

I have chosen those Tallboys and different sizes/heights, which helps a lot to stomp on the upper row, now it’s a breeze and I don’t have to stomp with the tip of my foot. Different heights also help with narrow spacing between footswitches like my Mastro Valvola pedals. 

Also, they have transparent buttons if which I used where the LED is too close to the footswitch so that I can see thru the colour…

bought them from thorpyfx if anyone’s interested (zero affiliation) since there’s no other distributors that I know of in the UK. 

1E02B52F-211D-4581-84F3-33EFE489DFE9.thumb.jpeg.ead643715961247b406e0a7212f9cee3.jpeg

• Like 9

The latest iteration of my basic bi-amp board. Some pedals seem to have found a 'permanent' home, others keep changing still but I'm definitely getting closer.

The Ampero has three switchable effects and a tuner on the extension switch and is doing a lot of preamp, signal splitting, compression, noise gate type stuff in the background.

DSCF9426.thumb.JPG.157f42b08c88673b527d36fdf528fd3d.JPG

• Like 6

On 26/04/2023 at 11:22, fretmeister said:

Filter has to be first to get the best control from my playing!

Compressor smooths everything out for excellent Octave tracking. The Thumpinator then kills everything under 25hz so I can still play the lowest notes on my bass without turning the Octave off. The Thumpinator won't let it through to my amp. Idea stolen from Dusty Hill rig rundown.

I'll need to try this!

My pedal board for tomorrow night's gig.  I'm going into their backline (a Trace Elliot combo). The Cali76 is always on, I use the Lucy Dreamer for most of our set, a few songs will be with no dirt and there is one song that needs a bit of distortion, which the Rattler is used for and with this I also turn on the Spectradrive as a bass and low mid boost because, even with 50% blend, the Rattler takes out a bit too much bottom end for my liking.

IMG_0596.jpeg

• Like 2

I got the fx59 back from fxpedalmodsuk https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100065048851696 who were fantastic. They’ve added a clean blend (not a straightforward mod to do because of the type of circuit annd because I still need room for an battery) and pink led to the pedal. I’ll give it a try later :) 

I put some new knobs on it because it wasn’t bright enough already

IMG_5426.jpeg

• Like 2

On 28/04/2023 at 10:18, Ander87 said:

Since I’ve ran out of excuses, space, outputs and money to buy more pedals, I have decided to treat my board (more like treat myself!) to Barefoot buttons. 

I have chosen those Tallboys and different sizes/heights, which helps a lot to stomp on the upper row, now it’s a breeze and I don’t have to stomp with the tip of my foot. Different heights also help with narrow spacing between footswitches like my Mastro Valvola pedals. 

Also, they have transparent buttons if which I used where the LED is too close to the footswitch so that I can see thru the colour…

bought them from thorpyfx if anyone’s interested (zero affiliation) since there’s no other distributors that I know of in the UK. 

1E02B52F-211D-4581-84F3-33EFE489DFE9.thumb.jpeg.ead643715961247b406e0a7212f9cee3.jpeg

I've fitted those to most of my pedals too. Unfortunately the button on the MS60B is slightly too big to fit in one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

I've fitted those to most of my pedals too. Unfortunately the button on the MS60B is slightly too big to fit in one.

Hmmm! They now do these ‘max bore’ size that may fit in? Up now there’s 4 different sizes

22 hours ago, stewblack said:

The latest iteration of my basic bi-amp board. Some pedals seem to have found a 'permanent' home, others keep changing still but I'm definitely getting closer.

The Ampero has three switchable effects and a tuner on the extension switch and is doing a lot of preamp, signal splitting, compression, noise gate type stuff in the background.

DSCF9426.thumb.JPG.157f42b08c88673b527d36fdf528fd3d.JPG

How do you find the blurst? It looks really cool but I don't see a lot of people using it?

Edited by Bassmidget209

2 minutes ago, Bassmidget209 said:

How do you find the blurst? It looks really cool but I don't see a lot of people using it?

It's an interesting pedal. It kind of sounds like its name. It doesn't fit with much of what I play live but it's fun to add it here and there. I guess I use it something like a bubbly rhythmic auto wah. Ish.

Bit of a tidy up and change around for me. This board gives me two signal paths, one to foh and one to IEMs with amp sim. The IEM feed can also run out to to my 2x Headrush 112s without cab sim if I need it to. 
I di from the Qstrip with a low cut to foh, but can also di direct from the zoom if I’m using the Headrush set up. The horse eq and sparrow di are there purely for the single Royal Blood song in our set. My custom guitar/headphone cable is visible on the right. Under the board there are two power supplies, one is purely redundant in case of an issue with #1. 

C1EA1DEE-A493-4571-8ACD-3BC309990405.jpeg

Edited by gafbass02
  • Like 3