Why become a member? ×

Reggae

AlpherMako4

I'd dive in with any massive collection of Trojan dub - there's lots available.

From there - 'Super Ape' from Lee Perry, and 'Heart Of The Congos' by The Congos. King Tubby is my main man, there's tons from him.

That should get you started! For me, I've always loved the period from Rocksteady up to the late '70s...the dancehall era kind of kills it for me.

There's so much that was single-based as well, so there's loads of brilliant compilations to get in to.

There's also great book - 'Bass Culture' by Lloyd Bradley - really good read.

Happy hunting! :)

The culture back when it started was more singles than albums, so there are many excellent compilations out there. Head for the good labels like Trojan or Soul Jazz Records (The Studio One Soul record is a great summer one) they have loads of decent ones and mini box sets but avoid the cheaper petrol station type compilations.

Lee Perry Arkology is another must have compilation, very special.

There are some killer albums too and some good ones already mentioned. But depends on what you're after, the lighter and faster Rocksteady or Lovers Rock, the heavy spiritual or political proper Reggae (I say that as some earlier stuff still gets classed as Reggae), or some Dub mixes. The compilations will help you decide.

Aston Barrett is a killer bass player, he's on the Marley albums but also played with lots of others so can you search out that stuff. Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey with the Garveys Ghost bonus (dub version of Marcus Garvey) is a must have and he's on it. For me Burnin, Natty Dread and Survival are stand out Marley albums, but they are all good. Exodus is an easy entry and the 12 inches version of Legend is great.

Dub wise, perhaps check out King Tubby to begin. Lost Treasures is a sentimental record I love as well as King Tubby and the Aggrevators which also has Aston Barrett on. This is a great easy entry compilation to get you started https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dub-Chill-Out-Various-Artists/dp/B00000B29D

I could go on and on, best not to overload you though. Check out some tracks and find the direction you want.

And if you really get into it, read Bass Culture, amazing book that'll tie it all together!

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1466868849' post='3079483']
I'd dive in with any massive collection of Trojan dub - there's lots available.

From there - 'Super Ape' from Lee Perry, and 'Heart Of The Congos' by The Congos. King Tubby is my main man, there's tons from him.

That should get you started! For me, I've always loved the period from Rocksteady up to the late '70s...the dancehall era kind of kills it for me.

There's so much that was single-based as well, so there's loads of brilliant compilations to get in to.

There's also great book - 'Bass Culture' by Lloyd Bradley - really good read.

Happy hunting! :)
[/quote]

Haha, was distracted by football when writing my post and you've beaten me too it. Nice choices :)

Edited by Chiliwailer

My fav albums:
The Congos - Heart of the Congos
Prince Fatty - Supersize and Survival of the Fattest
Mighty Diamonds - I Need A Roof
Lee Perry - Super Ape and Return of the Super Ape
Max Romeo & The Upsetters - War Ina Babylon
Ini Kamoze - Ini Kamoze --> Sly & Robbie at their best
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Third World - 96 Degrees In The Shade[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Arial][size=4]Third World - Journey To Addis[/size][/font][/color]

Also worth catching The Skints if you see them touring. Lots of talent in this little band, four of them and three great voices.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsqpqKqUg_4"]https://www.youtube....h?v=XsqpqKqUg_4[/url]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Izy6y2eEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT2w8u8uMdY

Edited by AustinArto

Starbies have had a well compiled roots and dub playlist on the go for the last couple of months. Most of the earlier mentions above are represented. A few more suggestions from it:

Who No (Wa'an Come) - The Wailing Souls
Rockers Dub - Joe Gibb & The Professionals
Revolution - Dennis Brown
Satta Massagana - Abyssinians

and the always good for a laugh (I hope): Wa-Do-Dem by Eek-A-Mouse!

Aswad, New Chapter
Clint Eastwood and General Saint, Two Bad DJ
Yellowman, Yellowman Rides again
Eek A Mouse, Wa-Do-Dem

Or if you fancy something truly off the wall and if you can find it: Dr Pablo and the Dub Syndicate, South of the River Thames, sort of Jean Michelle Jarre meets heavy dub if you will

Marley is widely regarded as 'white man reggae' - he was packaged and sold very much in the fashion of Rock musicians back then.
No black kid in the UK would give it space (you had to be there).
Reggae is a HUGE subject - cast around & see what you are comfortable with. The 'early' artist stuff is sometimes amazing - listen to Ken Boothe, Ernie Smith, Errol George, the Skatalites, Mighty Diamonds, U Roy/I Roy (different people) - Max Romeo, Hopetown Lewis...I ran and played reggae sound in the 60s & 70s - explore the progression, from calypso to ska, through Blue Beat to soca to rock steady to 'commercial' reggae (think Desmond Dekker, Bob & Marcia, Althea & Donna)- it's an interesting journey - I wish you well (and I haven't touched on heavy dub yet).

:)

Granted the early stuff with Peter Tosh is very good, but this has been almost lost along the way (I also have Marley with Bunny Wailer, somewhere) - I'm sure that the Skatalites were the Band of Choice in JA at one point.......

vvvvvvv

Edited by taunton-hobbit

[quote name='taunton-hobbit' timestamp='1466886948' post='3079603']
Marley is widely regarded as 'white man reggae' - he was packaged and sold very much in the fashion of Rock musicians back then.
[/quote]
This is only partly true. Especially the early Marley stuff (and when he was still "in" the Wailers with Peter Tosh and Bunny Wailer) isn't like that. It's only from the solo albums (mostly from Natty Dread onwards) that a lot of "white" guys were hired to make the albums sound more rocky and fit for the American and European market. But check out the early versions of Stir it Up and One Love (which are actually more ska-oriented songs) and you'll here a lot of Skatalites in there. As a matter of fact, most of the old Wailers stuff is accompanied by the Skatalites.

A guy called Jackie Mittoo was a big player in the Studio One house band (was also a member of the Skatalites).

A lovely Hammond player, his solo stuff is really worth checking out - this excellent compilation courtesy of Soul Jazz Records is a good place to start

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackie-Mittoo/dp/B0000457L5/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1466897702&sr=1-1&keywords=jackie+mittoo