Why become a member? ×

Nick Beggs... much cop?

Highfox

• 6 years later...

Beggs is an awesome basser - i know someone that lives in the same town, and occiaionally bumps into him here and there and always manages a friendly chat.

My pal said he was an absolutely lovely human being. He also he was a bit of a joker at times.

He has his own YT channel

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

… funnily enough this popped up the other day. I subscribe to the guy’s channel (pdbass) - his breakdown/appreciation of various players and tracks is always interesting (though some of the titles can be a bit clickbait-y!). This appraisal of Nick Beggs/Too Shy is well worth a watch.

• Like 9

25 minutes ago, visog said:

@Old Man Riva I was going to post this too! Great analysis of the 'Too Shy' line...

It’s great, isn’t it!  I wish someone could/would have explained the line to me when it came out - I nearly mangled my fingers trying to learn it and still didn’t get anywhere near! If I’m honest it was only after watching the pdbass video I learned how the intro was played, with the pull-offs and hammer-ons!

• Like 1

I have to admit to being in the camp (pun intended) that dismissed him as a bit of a bellend back in the 70’s. Absolutely unjustified!

I’ve subsequently seen a few videos that really impressed me both as a talented player, but also as a really nice and genuine person. He also wrote a few well regarded contributions to bass guitar magazines on technical stuff. The guy knows his onions.

I also thought ABBA were pretty meh at the time. Just goes to show how wrong I was on both counts.

• Like 1

I remember thinking the song was catchy but it was definitely the bass line that got my attention.

If i'm honest i thought when they split up that was the end like most pop bands but Nick has gone from strength to strength since those days.

Recently brought back to my attention again with Steve Hackett and Steve Wilson (he obviously likes Steve's 😂)

Amazing player and he always comes across as such a nice guy.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 3

I was a manager for Our Price Records when this album came out in 1988. The title track Homelands played flat out through the shop Quad hifi before we opened up was always an enjoyable experience. The production on the album is excellent. It brings back a flavour of the music I was enjoying back then. Elements of Frankie, Roachford, Missing Persons, Strangeways, TheFixx, Go West and FM are all floating around in there. Aaah, the days of bad haircuts, electronic kits, snares with loads of reverb and big chorussy guitars - where did they go......

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mudpup said:

I was a manager for Our Price Records when this album came out in 1988. The title track Homelands (at 33:42 here) played flat out through the shop Quad hifi before we opened up was always an enjoyable experience. The production on the album is excellent. It brings back a flavour of the music I was enjoying back then. Elements of Frankie, Roachford, Missing Persons, Strangeways, TheFixx, Go West and FM are all floating around in there. Aaah, the days of bad haircuts, electronic kits, snares with loads of reverb and big chorussy guitars - where did they go......

Liking that. Will have a look on Amazon for it. Cheers for that.

Dave

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Liking that. Will have a look on Amazon for it. Cheers for that.

Dave

There were loads of undiscovered gems that used to come into the shop back then that just got totally overlooked by the general public. This was a perfect example. I remember selling a few copies to the regulars that came in and were always up for listening to something different but the public never cottoned on to them. 

Here's another example - a band called Device which was Holly Knights side project (she wrote a load of big songs for Tina Turner, Bryan Adams, Pat Benatar and suchlike in the 80's). Proper 80's production on here.

Edited by Mudpup
  • Like 1

My brother lives in same small town - along with Rusty Gough and Frank Bruno.. very Stella Street. Nick always up for a chat. 

His Steven Wilson lines consistently brilliant alongside godlike Marco Minneman.. Luminol is a belter 

Edited by Drax
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BlueMoon said:

I have to admit to being in the camp (pun intended) that dismissed him as a bit of a bellend back in the 70’s. Absolutely unjustified!

I’ve subsequently seen a few videos that really impressed me both as a talented player, but also as a really nice and genuine person. He also wrote a few well regarded contributions to bass guitar magazines on technical stuff. The guy knows his onions.

I also thought ABBA were pretty meh at the time. Just goes to show how wrong I was on both counts.

After seeing the recent ‘Too Shy’ video, I had this discussion with some pals.

Loads of stuff was dismissed my my peers and I back in the day for being ‘too poppy’.

Imagine if pop music was as good as that today?

• Like 6

I really liked Nick Beggs as a bass player as soon as I first saw/heard Kajagoogoo. Superb and inventive bass lines that really captured the zeitgeist of that time. There were lots of fancy dan bass players back then, but Nick Beggs had real substance to what he played. 

I've always thought Nick has a very distinctive tone, too. Lots of top end but mids to the fore as well. 

If Kajagoogoo had chosen a different name for the band it could have been a different story, daft as that may sound. It's difficult for a band to mature when their name embodies infantilism.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I believe he was into his prog music back then too with Chris Squire being an influence and based on that poster behind him i'm guessing Geddy too.

Would explain the Ric copy.

Dave

I read that he was/is a Squire fan and why he bought a Ric copy back then in Bass Guitar Magazine, many years ago. As he's now Steven Wilson's go to bass player, he really has come full circle genre wise.

• Like 2

On 20/01/2023 at 10:18, fleabag said:

Beggs is an awesome basser - i know someone that lives in the same town, and occiaionally bumps into him here and there and always manages a friendly chat.

My pal said he was an absolutely lovely human being. He also he was a bit of a joker at times.

He has his own YT channel

If anyone wonders why I play Stick...

Nick is great...