Why become a member? ×

Rowdy crowds

BrunoBass

Morning all, perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing your experiences of playing in rowdy venues? We've been booked to play in a bar a friend of mine recently opened. A couple of us went down to to recce it out on Saturday night and what we found was a tiny sweatbox, totally rammed, with a minute playing area on eye level with the crowd who were young and rowdy (in a non-threatening, happy way) and very much up for it. Usually we play pubs (often on eye level to the crowd) but it's usually an older, more sedate crowd. To tell you the truth, I can't wait. It reminded me of the punk gigs I attended in my youth, eyeball to eyeball with the crowd, full on adrenalin. Fingers crossed this gig won't be violent or edgy like the old days, but I'm expecting a bit of a rollercoaster of a show. I think it'll be amazing, despite the slight feeling of trepidation. Bring it on!

Edited by PaulGibsonBass

Can be great fun and really boosts the atmos. Take an expendable bass. You get a great feedback loop going too. It does help if you have a good frontman who can demolish any drunken heckling as soon as it starts, though... 'Dad, I told you not to bother me at work'... 'Jeremy, it's over - can't you understand that?'... 'Where's your girlfriend? Outside grazing, I presume?'... 'Ah, I remember my first beer'... And so on. :)

My favourite kind of gig as a youngster.

Accidents can happen, so leave your Sunday best at home and set up your gear wisely. We used to play a tiny place in Scarborough called the Jolly Roger IIRC, couldn't have held more than 50 people shoulder to shoulder once the gear was in, but they were blinding nights. If you were in there you were watching the band, no room to chat or sit down. Sure beer got spilled, sure people fell over, sure band space was breached, but it wasn't out of malice or lack of respect, just hi-jinks and the logistics of the whole deal. As hairy as it could be, it was engaging and exciting for everyone in the room. I'd rather take the limited risks of that kind of gig that try and win over a spacious room of folk playing fruit machines and chatting loudly about Aunt Gladys's hysterectomy.

I think playing pubs you have to expect gigs like this. We play stuff from the Jam and the who so can often get rowdy. I personally like them as long as they don't start trying to grab the mics.
Just take care of your monitors and watch out for people falling into mic stands!

Minimise all the gear. We did a tiny gig a few months ago (Foreman's in Nottingham) which was packed. You really couldn't move. They warned us in advance so I stripped back my drum kit to just a snare, hats, and small kick-drum contraption. The guitarist and bassist went straight into the PA. I was planning to "play to the room" but I guess the soundman was a bit excited and I ended up with my ear plugs in half way through the first song. Great gig though. I always love the atmosphere at this sort of gig.

We have had a couple of rowdy-ish ones recently and I don't mind but our guitarist/front man is not keen. My gear is usually out of harms way as it's at the back next to the drummer normally (and he likes the lively ones), and I am usually towards the back behind either front man or harp player so it's not an issue for us. Front man does not like his space invaded by "lurchers" as he's worried about his gear, pedals etc. Mind you, he does insist on being at the very front, because as he once said when we tried to get him to set up so we were all equally visible "I should be a the front, it's called the front man for a reason" so you get what you ask for....! He is a bit reluctant to play at one venue because of this, but the rest of us really enjoyed last time there so we are re-booked for later in the year. Let's see what happens after that.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1463571535' post='3052407']
I'd be more concerned with the 'tiny sweatbox' and 'minute playing area' bit of the description. There is a point where a lack of delineation of where band area stops and crowd area starts can become a PITA.
[/quote]

Yes, that's precisely what concerns/excites me.

Especially watch yourself on mic stands if you have one, in a similar situation I was just leaning in to sing when a drunken gent crashed backwards into my mic, which shot just past my head as it crashed to the ground, if I'd been singing into it I'd have lost a few gnashers for sure!! Heads up!!!!

[quote name='phil.c60' timestamp='1463575355' post='3052447']
We have had a couple of rowdy-ish ones recently and I don't mind but our guitarist/front man is not keen. My gear is usually out of harms way as it's at the back next to the drummer normally (and he likes the lively ones), and I am usually towards the back behind either front man or harp player so it's not an issue for us. Front man does not like his space invaded by "lurchers" as he's worried about his gear, pedals etc. Mind you, he does insist on being at the very front, because as he once said when we tried to get him to set up so we were all equally visible "I should be a the front, it's called the front man for a reason" so you get what you ask for....! He is a bit reluctant to play at one venue because of this, but the rest of us really enjoyed last time there so we are re-booked for later in the year. Let's see what happens after that.
[/quote]

Rowdy and harp player does not compute!

Just be on guard to stave off people coming over the front line, they trip on the monitors, reach out and often pull the mic stands over on their way down. Often end up stopping people coming over with a firm hand to their back. You'll have a ball. It's what it's all about!

[size=4]Posted in 2014, but seems appropriate...[/size]

[size=4][quote][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There are all sorts of events on the periphery of the annual Printemps de Bourges [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]festival here in France. Our band were invited, with 4 gigs and a showcase to play, all in one day. We hadn't even thought about PA until, arriving at the first bar venue, the bloke was astonished that we hadn't brought one, as he had nothing. Our tech had to hunt up in double quick time a system (mid-festival, it's not easy to find any 'spare' gear locally..! [/font][/color] :lol:[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] ). [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We did the gigs.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=4][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]For [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]the anecdote, in one tiny bar, packed to the hilt, the enthusiastic audience reaction was such that [i]all[/i] the tables, bolted to the floor with cast-iron Art Deco legs, were busted right off, leaving potentially deadly spikes sticking out of the floor. The LL wanted us out, but he got convinced to let us finish if we could keep the crowd under control. I ended up as 'bouncer', trying to fend off the fans with PAR 56 cans..! Hectic, really hectic. Yes, the whole event was tiring. :rolleyes: Happy days. B)[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/quote][/font][/color][/size]

Next month my jazz band is performing in Henley in Arden at a garden party in celebration of the HM the queen's birthday. I do hope everyone will be on their very best behaviour and attend suitably attired.

[quote name='grandad' timestamp='1463588465' post='3052635']
Next month my jazz band is performing in Henley in Arden at a garden party in celebration of the HM the queen's birthday. I do hope everyone will be on their very best behaviour and attend suitably attired.
[/quote]

Is it a private party or at a venue? Henley is very local to me indeed.