Why become a member? ×

Straplocks - are they necessary?

ProfJames

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1463347856' post='3050715']...
Having tried most of the options I really can't agree that washers are less fiddly either. I find them a real pain to get them on and off.
[/quote]

You [i]do [/i]know that you have to remove them from the stoppers first, don't you..? :sleep:

Edited by Dad3353

Three of my Warwicks came with the recessed strap lock thingy so I don't have a lot of choice there unless I remove them. They haven't let me down yet, but I know some people here really don't like them.

On my P I use those elliptical strap buttons which seem fine to me as long as they are positioned at 90 degrees to the strap hole when standing. My Rick has those cheapo Dunlop round clip things which have never failed either.

I've tried the Schaller type locks a few times. They seem to do the job very well but I just can't get on with how far they stick out.

• 6 years later...

Thought i'd revive this thread to see if anyone is using any of the newer strap locks.

I've been using the schaller ones for approx 15yrs now and find them pretty good but the metal to metal can make it difficlut to remove the strap at end of the gig.

Because of the outfits i have to wear in the Glam band putting the strap over my head and trying to adjust the long wigs is a bit of a nightmare. I now put the strap on my shoulder and under the hair before fixing the bass to the strap and reverse when finished the set.

My main issue with the schallers is the metal to metal can get tight and difficult to remove.

Seen some new D'addario types including universal locks and the new straps with locks fitted altho they only come in 2" wide straps which are too thin for my wee shoulders.

Anyone any updates on this topic.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

On 09/05/2016 at 18:41, rushbo said:

I've had no luck at all with strap locks. I find them really fiddly. I bought a bag of 100 rubber Grolsch bottle washers about five years ago off eBay for a few quid and installed them on all my basses and guitars. Solid as a rock but easy to remove. And they're a lovely pink colour...

This is your best option. Straplocks are fiddly and need to be removed when you want to remove the strap, or when you put the bass in it's case.

I have a few Fenders with straplocks and I've removed them and replaced them with the bottle washer option. They're cheap as chips on ebay. Fender actually sell them too.

• Like 1

Having used Dunlops (stick out too far), Schallers (rattle too much and come apart), I’ve gone back to Grolsch washers or Basschat’s own (smaller hole and harder rubber make them harder to remove, so not ideal for wigs, etc). Loxx look interesting, but if it ain’t broke, etc. The D’Addario screw and clip system seems sensible, except that without the strap section attached, they look tatty to me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, 🧟‍♂️ thread, nice one. Threads don’t die, they’re just resting.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

I also have my wireless transmitter case permanently fixed to my strap so i tend to use one strap for all my basses.

I have had to replace a lot of the standard buttons for the schaller type.

These are the D'addario ones out at the moment. The first one apparently allows the strap to stay closer to the bass.

Dave

image.thumb.png.df54203e26e4ffc5c17ee8cb62ef7401.pngimage.png.5234ba52495b6d4099ffe14f8ae60c50.png 

I've been using Dunlop strap locks on all my basses since the early 90's. I'm still using the original set on my main bass. Never had an issue.

I just bought a bass that has Musicman straplocks fitted, which are a new one on me. They seem to be designed well, are very simple to fit and easy to operate.

Edited by chris_b
  • Thanks 1

Another vote for Dunlop straplocks. All of our straps, basses and guitars are fitted with them, with no issues over several decades. Our Top Tip: a drop of vaseline-based oil into the button, to keep the internal action smooth. I do have BC-sourced rubber washers, too, but they are reserved for my cymbal stands, where they do sterling service keeping the cymbals freely swinging, but secure. :friends:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Another vote for Dunlop straplocks. All of our straps, basses and guitars are fitted with them, with no issues over several decades. Our Top Tip: a drop of vaseline-based oil into the button, to keep the internal action smooth. I do have BC-sourced rubber washers, too, but they are reserved for my cymbal stands, where they do sterling service keeping the cymbals freely swinging, but secure. :friends:

The vaseline based oil / grease is a good idea. I'll try that.

Dave

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

I dont have the dunlop type but do you mean into the spring actuated button rather than on the bass button to lock surface areas. ?

Dave

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

... into the spring actuated button...

Indeed; the part where all the moving parts are (including the little ball-bearings that the button retracts to allow removal of the lock...). The part fitted to the bass needs no attention, except, of course, ensuring that the holding screw is well seated. Only a drop in the button, mind, and oil, rather than grease, so that it flows down into the mechanism. Hope this helps. :friends:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Indeed; the part where all the moving parts are (including the little ball-bearings that the button retracts to allow removal of the lock...). The part fitted to the bass needs no attention, except, of course, ensuring that the holding screw is well seated. Only a drop in the button, mind, and oil, rather than grease, so that it flows down into the mechanism. Hope this helps. :friends:

Yep that's perfect. That's maybe why mine are a little stiff to remove. The button is sticky rather than the actual attached surfaces.

Much appreciated @Dad3353.

Dave

• Thanks 1

Dunlop all the way for me as well. The Schallers had a tendency to flip upside down on the strap, and although they still seemed to stay firmly attached I never quite trusted them. The locking mechanism was also a bit more fiddly.

I prefer the Dunlop buttons that also double as regular strap buttons, since I don't use strap locks at home (usually), but the ones that sit flush with the instrument are definitely pretty appealing in terms of looks.

Before I started using "real" strap locks I used those Dunlop plastic ones, and they worked really well. Really secure, cheap and easy to use.

image.png.21a1be4e0c4785260109889de86c0d8b.png

Edited by Naigewron
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Naigewron said:

...Before I started using "real" strap locks I used those Dunlop plastic ones, and they worked really well. Really secure, cheap and easy to use.

An excellent option for use whilst waiting for a set of Dunlop button-type to arrive, and useful as a 'spare, just in case'. B|

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Naigewron said:

Dunlop all the way for me as well. The Schallers had a tendency to flip upside down on the strap, and although they still seemed to stay firmly attached I never quite trusted them. The locking mechanism was also a bit more fiddly.

I prefer the Dunlop buttons that also double as regular strap buttons, since I don't use strap locks at home (usually), but the ones that sit flush with the instrument are definitely pretty appealing in terms of looks.

Before I started using "real" strap locks I used those Dunlop plastic ones, and they worked really well. Really secure, cheap and easy to use.

I had some of those, which I sewed onto a fabric strap via the eyehole provided. They work really well, not overly elegant, but effective.

9 hours ago, Naigewron said:

I’ve used these ^^^ for decades now with no problems whatsoever. Like that they don’t damage the bass and

also don’t necessitate removing the original strap buttons.  Bonus being cheap as chips and last for years.

LOXX locks forever!

I've tried most others but they all had their problems:

Musicman fell apart and dropped my bass 

Schaller started squeaking and showed wear after not that many uses 

Dunlop same, noisy after a while

Grolsch washers are a bit fiddly.

Zero issues in ten years of using LOXX.

Edited by Bolo

It's funny seeing this thread resurrected...some seven years after my reply, I still advocate Dunlop Straploks and as and when I buy something new, I'll order a new set for immediate installation before I'll even put a strap on it.  They're on all my basses and guitars.

Just don't get the, 'Oh, they're too fiddly,' argument.  I nearly spat my coffee out while I was reading the @Bolo comment that they get 'noisy after a while'.  Whaaaat? 

Dunlops take a couple of minutes to install on the bass/guitar and same again to attach to other fixings to the strap; in 20+ years of using them I've never had a single failure or heard a mouse while I'm playing.  Unless you're installing the flush mount ones, any strap should go over the body-lugs (and probably more securely than the standard lugs too).

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

It's funny seeing this thread resurrected...some seven years after my reply, I still advocate Dunlop Straploks and as and when I buy something new, I'll order a new set for immediate installation before I'll even put a strap on it.  They're on all my basses and guitars.

Just don't get the, 'Oh, they're too fiddly,' argument.  I nearly spat my coffee out while I was reading the @Bolo comment that they get 'noisy after a while'.  Whaaaat? 

Dunlops take a couple of minutes to install on the bass/guitar and same again to attach to other fixings to the strap; in 20+ years of using them I've never had a single failure or heard a mouse while I'm playing.  Unless you're installing the flush mount ones, any strap should go over the body-lugs (and probably more securely than the standard lugs too).

Have to say my schallers do squeak with the metal to metal around the button. Its only when you are taking them on and off and not when i'm playing. Usually the weight of the bass keeps them tight on the strap.

Also not had any issues with the schallers fitting them except recent buttons came with a screw thread attached rather than a separate sccrew meaning you cant re-use the old screw if they are different threads.

Dave

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Also not had any issues with the schallers fitting them except recent buttons came with a screw thread attached rather than a separate sccrew meaning you cant re-use the old screw if they are different threads.

And which also makes them completely useless for fitting to any instrument not made of solid wood. I brought this point up with Schaller, but they didn't see it as a problem. Of the six guitars and basses that I currently use these new versions would be unsuitable for 3 of them.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 2