Why become a member? ×

Tribute Acts Beware,

funkgod

I have just been reading this about meat loaf taking Dean Torkington from Burnley to court for basicly impersonating him calling him an online imposter, and wanted $100,000.00 from him, the court in the usa awarded meatloaf $25,000.00 + $4,769 in costs and Dean has to hand over his site and todrop registration and control of the website and transfer it to meatloaf

could this open the doors to other artists ?

(edited)
how close is too close ? when choosing a web address

[url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256547/Meat-Loaf-tribute-act-Burnley-forced-pay-25-000-singer-California-court-rules-online-imposter.html"]http://www.dailymail...e-imposter.html[/url]

[left][color=#000000][url="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2256547/Meat-Loaf-tribute-act-Burnley-forced-pay-25-000-singer-California-court-rules-online-imposter.html#ixzz46SR5o3hv"]http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz46SR5o3hv[/url][/color][/left]

Edited by funkgod

Only if the other artists were also being naughty with their web-addresses. This hasn't really got anything to do with being a tribute act, it's about improper use of domains & using someone else's name to generate revenue for yourself.

yes 3 years old, he said he would not hand over a penny, dont know the outcome,
im sure most tribute acts would want to get their web address as close as to the name.
but yea a bit too close is that one

Edited by funkgod

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1461238500' post='3032725']
When others are making a buck not just playing songs, but using the whole image and likeness is is not right that there should be some kind of permission or licencing agreement?
[/quote]

Maybe they should be run as franchises. The tribute market is, after all, essentially about using an established artist's brand to generate income. Surely the artists who developed those brands should be able to license their use, and exercise some quality control?

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1461238500' post='3032725']
When others are making a buck not just playing songs, but using the whole image and likeness is is not right that there should be some kind of permission or licencing agreement?
[/quote]

I think even playing the songs in a trib band is a gray area, esp if selling cds and using the songs on your site as promo.
Im in a big blues band that do modern blues that do a fair number of Lloyd jones tracks, a sort of half tribute to him, ..Now I think its his own fault cus the songs are just so dam catchy ;) , we did a demo with about 5 of his tracks and found we had a chance to play them on radio merseysideliverpool so i contacted lloyd jones and asked if it would be ok, and sent him a copy of the cd, he said thanks for asking him, he thought it was great that a band in the uk was promoting his stuff and go ahead.
what an out and out nice guy.
[url="http://www.lloydjonesmusic.com/schedule.htm"]http://www.lloydjone...om/schedule.htm[/url]
i think everyone is so accessable now with the internet its nothing just to ask.

Edited by funkgod

I assume most artists who are "tributed" appreciate that trib acts actually help maintain their fanbase & profile, typically in the twilight of the original artist's career. It can hardly be seen as detrimental, however you look at it.

Meatloaf though - clealy a glutton for cash [i]and[/i] pies. :rolleyes:

Jon.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1461243826' post='3032825']
Begs the question, why would you want to impersonate Meat Loaf in the first place ?

Also Meat Loaf should maybe feel honoured that someone does :).

Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.
[/quote]
Surely that would depend on whether he feels both imitated AND flattered ?

Imitation and flattery are all very well, but people have a living to make. Even if you don't like ML (and I don't), he's entitled to say it's his image, his songs are his intellectual property and that people out there making good money out of them should pay him for the privilege.

It may also be the case that people see the tribute, who've never heard of the original artist, and even in the case of meatloaf like him, and buy his records.

I actually thought meatloaf was dead.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1461250405' post='3032900']
Imitation and flattery are all very well, but people have a living to make. Even if you don't like ML (and I don't), he's entitled to say it's his image, his songs are his intellectual property and that people out there making good money out of them should pay him for the privilege.
[/quote]

But that's got nothing to do with the law-suit in question. The issue was the website name was passing-off as Meatloaf - if the website had been the tribute's performing name, Batoutofhell.com or just meatloaftribute.com it would have been fine but just using the original name & having a different ending is not ok & will always lose in court. It's really not got much to do with being a tribute artist & all to do with the naming of the website which is why the compensation was so small.

Assuming the tribute artist did gigs & ML wrote [at least some of] his own music ML will be receiving his fair share of earnings from the tribute's usage anyway via venue music licensing.

I would have thought that if you make in obvious that you're a tribute act in name it's ok, but this guys web address didn't do that so I can understand Meatloaf being pissed, I've just checked it out www.meatloaf.org it's now the genuine article so I guess they reached some sort of compromise

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1461239143' post='3032747']
Maybe they should be run as franchises. The tribute market is, after all, essentially about using an established artist's brand to generate income. Surely the artists who developed those brands should be able to license their use, and exercise some quality control?
[/quote]

Exercise some quality control??? You're just trying to take all the fun out it now. There's nothing better than a really bad tribute act.

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1461239143' post='3032747']
[/quote]
Great idea. You could also put the auditions on a TV show and get the band to choose the winners! Another slant for the reality market. If Channel 4 won't do it Sky will.

Alternatively, you could do a show on Inner City Sumo.