Why become a member? ×

Tribute Acts Beware,

funkgod

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1461336346' post='3033835']
It seems Mr Torkington now does an Elton John tribute act.
[/quote]

Will Elton John take out an injunction, or will he think it's super?

Edited by tauzero

[quote name='gareth' timestamp='1461336161' post='3033831']
Eagles sued Illegal Eagles years ago

Don't think they had to pay anything
[/quote]

I believe the threat wasn't over the music but the use of the word Eagles in the band name. They didn't have to pay any money out in the end. I was told it was Don Henley who instigated it.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1461337308' post='3033847']

I believe the threat wasn't over the music but the use of the word Eagles in the band name. They didn't have to pay any money out in the end. I was told it was Don Henley who instigated it.
[/quote]frankly I can't see why the original bands have a problem with tribute bands

Surely it's a compliment and they are hardly going to reduce the earnings of the original band - whose going to buy a tribute bands CDs rather than the original, who is going to go and see the tribute instead of the real thing?

I think tribute bands do a great service to the original band by promoting their music and keeping their songs alive

[/quote]

They should become the Beagles

[/quote]
Presumably he'll be having a word with the Eagles Of Death Metal too then :)

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1461266657' post='3033201']

Exercise some quality control??? You're just trying to take all the fun out it now. There's nothing better than a really bad tribute act.
[/quote]

The one at the top looks nothing like Meatloaf at all!

Guest bassman7755

This case about was the domain name meatloaf.org which I think most people would reasonable assume was an official site hence it would fall foul of the domain registration "passing off" rule.

[quote name='Dan Dare' timestamp='1461420782' post='3034497']
All the talk of "tribute" bands increasing sales of CDs by, or boosting interest in the actual artists, is bollocks, I'm afraid. More power to the artists who sue, I say.
[/quote]is bollocks - no it's not

All the talk of "tribute" bands increasing sales of CDs by, or boosting interest in the actual artists, is bollocks, I'm afraid. More power to the artists who sue, I say.
[/quote]not sure I agree with that, if you see a good tribute of an artist you're not that familiar with (it can happen, my partner gets dragged along if there's a decent tribute band on at the local music pub) it can then encourage you to buy the original bands music, never understand buying the tributes recordings of the original band though, but it does happen (or why a tribute band would even record such material)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1461436823' post='3034671']
(or why a tribute band would even record such material)
[/quote]

A recording is handy to give an agent/venue to get work. Also good to put clips on the website so people can see if you're any good!
I agree that I wouldn't pay for a tribute recording.

[/quote]

Years ago, Id have agreed. But having done it, and seen that actually, it does, I'm afraid I cannot any agree any longer. Weve had so many messages from folk who have gone on to buy Kates entire back catalogue off the back of one of our gigs.

Edited by sprocketflup

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1461449352' post='3034799']
Years ago, Id have agreed. But having done it, and seen that actually, it does, I'm afraid I cannot any agree any longer. Weve had so many messages from folk who have gone on to buy Kates entire back catalogue off the back of one of our gigs.
[/quote]

yup... it does get people buying music by the originals. I saw that with RATM and RHCP cover bands I've been in too.

edit: hell! *I* bought the entire catalogue of those bands to be able to learn their songs, for I wasn't precisely a big fan beforehand! :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1461449352' post='3034799']
[/quote]

Agreed, esp if you are doing stuff by a relatively unknown artist,
as said we do alot of Lloyd jones tracks in the set and people always ask who did this or that,
also even people who like blues i find are time locked in the uk and are not really upto date with whats going on now
so its like education, we try to give them what happening now, not 40 years ago.
and thats another area of tribute acts which is good, people who may have liked the artist 30 years ago might go and watch a trib band and hay presto are surprised to find that maybe the artist is still going and still pumping out great stuff, maybe enough for the punters to go home check out and order the new cd based on your act.