Why become a member? ×

Playing for 30 years

BobVbass

Something that's been depressing me lately. It seems everyone I speak to (whether they still play or not) regales me of stories of playing huge gigs, playing on telly, being a member of some band that supported the Beatles or the Who or something, having albums out - everthing like that

Me, I've been playing for 30 years this year and I have exactly zero claims to fame, no success, no albums, no support slots - 30 years of gigs to a few people, sometimes a few hundred, but that's it. Maybe I should take the hint :|

Not at all, it`s not the names you play to, or the releases you`ve put out, it`s how much you enjoy playing and gigging. Only stop if you no longer have the enthusiasm. The only way I`ll stop is if I no longer love doing it, or if I`m not able to due to health issues.

Think of it like someone who plays football - should they give up just cos they`ve never shared a pitch with Wayne Rooney, or not been on Match of The Day? No, they play cos they love the game.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1457344212' post='2997452']
Not at all, it`s not the names you play to, or the releases you`ve put out, it`s how much you enjoy playing and gigging. Only stop if you no longer have the enthusiasm. The only way I`ll stop is if I no longer love doing it, or if I`m not able to due to health issues.

Think of it like someone who plays football - should they give up just cos they`ve never shared a pitch with Wayne Rooney, or not been on Match of The Day? No, they play cos they love the game.
[/quote]

I was going to say exactly the same thing. If you've got 30 years of love and joy under your belt from doing something you love doing you're a rich man.

when i started out i played for the enjoyment and joined bands to enhance that. i still do that now, the good gigs, albums etc are just lovely perks that have come along the way.

for me its about the playing. i will play to 5 people as happily as i will to 5000. of course i have enjoyed the other perks and hope there is still more to come, but i certainly wouldn't give up if all i did was local pub gigs.

if you can look back and say you've enjoyed it and can say you still do then there is no need to give up because you haven't played wembley yet. remember, seasick steve didn't make his real breakthrough until he was in his 60's, so there is time enough for us all yet.

I know a drummer who used to be somebody of note who got me an audition with a guitarist (who still is somebody) who was setting up a touring band going across Europe. I didn't get the gig and felt vaguely humbled by the thinness of my CV compared to theirs. Their philosophy was that it doesn't matter where you have been or who you have played with as it is largely luck that decides if you 'make it' and the music business is largely based on who knows whom in a way that would be completely illegal in most other hiring situations.

On the flip side, you cannot have an elite playing to big crowds without a huge supporting cast of peons doing quick and dirty gigs in the same way that you cannot have a Premier League without having dozens of lower leagues and divisions to provide the pool from which the premier league players are drawn.

Thirdly, how do others see you? When I tell people that I play in a band, they are generally impressed to a reasonably flattering degree, even though I play in variable pubs and manky clubs and they are impressed because it is something that they, along with everyone, once wished that they could do and/or did.

Finally, pretty much all of us are where you are, its just that most of us like to exaggerate or achievements for dramatic effect!

PS: I think 2016 is my 30th year, too.

Edited by colgraff

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1457344212' post='2997452']
...it`s not the names you play to, or the releases you`ve put out, it`s how much you enjoy playing and gigging. Only stop if you no longer have the enthusiasm. The only way I`ll stop is if I no longer love doing it, or if I`m not able to due to health issues.
[/quote]
[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1457345154' post='2997468']
...if you can look back and say you've enjoyed it and can say you still do then there is no need to give up because you haven't played wembley yet. remember, seasick steve didn't make his real breakthrough until he was in his 60's, so there is time enough for us all yet.
[/quote]

Quite. I did a gig last night which was right up there from an enjoyment point of view. There were probably only 100 people in the audience at most, but they were so enthusiastic we were buzzing. Way preferable to playing an audience of 2000 disinterested punters. Statistics mean nothing, it's all relative. As said above, if you're into it, it's fun and you're enjoying yourself that's the only justification you ever need. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1457345894' post='2997478']

Finally, pretty much all of us are where you are, its just that most of us like to exaggerate or achievements for dramatic effect!

[/quote]

I think this is a big part of it, I was in a reasonably successful band about 15 years ago, we did festivals, support slots and tours and never made a penny, now I play weddings and I make a living from it. I'm glad I've done both, but neither is better than the other.

[quote name='BobVbass' timestamp='1457343640' post='2997446']
Something that's been depressing me lately. It seems everyone I speak to (whether they still play or not) regales me of stories of playing huge gigs, playing on telly, being a member of some band that supported the Beatles or the Who or something, having albums out - everthing like that

Me, I've been playing for 30 years this year and I have exactly zero claims to fame, no success, no albums, no support slots - 30 years of gigs to a few people, sometimes a few hundred, but that's it. Maybe I should take the hint :|
[/quote]

Also keep in mind that there are huge numbers of so called musicians who are somewhat delusional. :lol:

If they are talking to you at a gig, during your break or at the end, it's you that's doing the playing/entertaining now. :rolleyes:

You're a complete loser who has totally wasted 30 years of your life. Best to give up now & start doing something worthwhile with your life.

Kidding of course. If you've enjoyed it, & you still do, you've done so much more than all those 'I wish I'd learned an instrument!' people we meet all the time. Keep on keepin' on I say!

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1457347111' post='2997494']
I know where you're coming from - I've been playing for 36 years and, apart from one really memorable gig many years ago I can't help feeling like it's all been a massive waste of time & money.
[/quote]

You missed out the ';)’ didn't you? Please say you did. Surely it can only have been a massive waste of time and money of you didn't enjoy any of it . . . . In which case why did you persevere for 36 years?

I'm with Lozz on this. I've played no 'famous' gigs but I've enjoyed all the ones I have, which is what it's about for me as I've no ambition (or talent) to be a pro musician - which gives me the advantage of picking and choosing so I have no excuse for wasting time or money. I've loved all of it and, like Lozz, will continue for as long as that remains true.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1457355781' post='2997620']
You missed out the ' ;)' didn't you? Please say you did. Surely it can only have been a massive waste of time and money of you didn't enjoy any of it . . . . In which case why did you persevere for 36 years?
[/quote]

I enjoyed the first 10 years or so, then it just became part of my routine. I persevered with it for so long because I always hoped my enthusiasm for playing would return, but it never did. I also quite simply didn't know what else I'd do with my time if I stopped playing.

I fell into the trap of thinking that buying a new bass or some other bit of kit was the answer to getting back into playing but it never worked for any length of time.

Edited by RhysP

As others have said, if you are having fun playing music and being in a band then you are already way ahead of those people who can only dream about having learnt to play instrument.

On the other hand although getting the "breaks" in music is largely a matter of luck I find that to a great degree you have to make your own luck. I think an awful lot of musicians are under the false impression that being technically competent at their chosen instrument is all they need, when in fact it may well be the least important thing when it comes to getting those important gigs or making a record.

Yes there is an element of having to be in the right place at the right time, but the more you/your band are out there the more chances you get. The various bands I've been in over the last 40 years have had a modicum of success. Nothing truly massive but enough to keep me plugging away at it and also enough to know that all my "luck" has been backed up with an enormous amount of hard work behind the scenes to make those important gigs and record releases happen.

And TBH putting out an album is not that big a deal any more. Since the mid 70s anyone with sufficient cash and the necessary drive can do it. And these days all it takes, if you are happy with a digital release only, is a recording and £50. The true test is being able to get someone outside of the band to pay for it all - and then of course to actually sell some copies!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1457356732' post='2997639']
To the OP, don't let other people set the bar for 'success' in bass playing.
[/quote]

+1 What is 'success' anyway..? Some people who apparently have all the trappings of 'success' aren't happy about it at all and remain completely unfulfilled. Don't be too hard on yourself and don't waste your energy wanting what other people have got, or worry about what they [i]say [/i]they have done - life is terminal, no-one gets off the planet alive!! :lol: Enjoy yourself!

Edited by discreet

What constitutes a huge gig or a big support? From my experience the bigger the gig and the more famous the headline act the less fun the gig turns out to be, I have been far happier playing to 100 people who have paid to see us over playing to 3000 people who have no idea who we are and would only have shown an interest if the stage had been struck by lightening!

Jeez! Ok ok! I'll cheer up and carry on - can't a person be an abject failure and fed up around here? :)

Seriously - thanks, that's really helped - and I have enjoyed things and still do, have made some lifelong friends - oh and got a mention in the official Spinal Tap movie companion book. That's not bad for 20,000 hours work is it?!

I've played on 3 released albums and made zero pennies.

Played to a couple of thousand twice, hundreds a few times and tens man many many times.

That's in 18 or so years.

I don't think my Wembley stadium gig is going to happen 😂

Depends though, if it's made you happy, laugh or at least smile - then I wouldn't worry. 😉

I had 5 mins and it appears I've been waiting in vain for the other 10!

These days a good gig is good no matter where it is. The Dog and Duck is fine but a limo and a 30,000 seat arena tour would be better.

Just try and make every gig better than the last one and play every gig like you've sold out the Albert Hall.

Then go home happy that you've just played the best gig you could.

I should add, stick at it, you never know where you`ll end up. I`ve now been playing some 35 years, and in the last two of those years my band has really taken off, and have now played on the same bill as many of the bands that I used to listen to when I was at school and just starting out playing. We`ve also just released our 2nd album, have a single out on a record label in April, and organised a mini-tour (4 gigs in 4 nights) of Germany later this year. If anyone had told me a few years back I`d be doing an originals band to this degree at 50, I`d have thought them mad. I`d have still been pretty sure I`d still be playing though. Ok, we`re not a big named band, and unlikely to ever be as punk is a pretty small scene but I`m having a blast doing this band.

41 years of playing, off and on, and a month ago finally wrote my first song, followed two weeks later by my second. Both sound pretty good and we'll be doing a cheap recording of them next week. Still haven't had that big gig/support/festival date, but this little achievement has certainly been a big boost to my playing morale!