Why become a member? ×

Natural wear and enjoying your bass

Twincam

I have a USA Standard P Bass which is mint as I bought it brand new and am very careful with it on the rare occasions it gets gigged.
OTOH I also bought a Nate Mendel which is also brand new but has some relicing on it, which I am not so careful with. Go figure. :happy:

I try to look after it, but short of leaving it in its case it will pick up a few knocks. I fail to see the point of leaving your "best" bass at home and gigging a lesser instrument just in case. I have a black P. It really isn't a thing of beauty anyway - its a lump of wood that happens to sound good.

I also have a six string lead guitar that's never been gigged (mainly cos I'm a crap guitarist), but after nearly 30 years the fingerboard is worn in places and the natural stain has all but disappeared where my arm rests on the body. I reckon its got character.

I look after my basses as best I can but I don't wrap them in cotton wool & I don't get wound up if they get the occaisional ding or scratch.

But then I don't own any really expensive basses.If I had damaged a 5k+ Fodera I might feel a bit differently.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1453139078' post='2956778']they don't get buckle rash because I don't wear buckles [/quote]

I actually went and bought a belt that had no sharp edges that my bass could touch for this reason.

Like other posters the first ding is he worst, everything after that is character.

How annoyed I get with dings is usually relative to how stupid I've been when I've dinged.

There's a couple of minor dings on my Precision. I don't know I did them and they don't bother me. Normal wear and tear.

I have a ding on my Jazz that's to do with me dropping and juggling my phone from the other side of the room and it ending up smashing right into it. that one gets on my tits a bit.

My main P bass since 2007 has got a fair few chips, dings and scratches all over. I remember being really miffed at the first blemish.Now as long as it doesn't affect playability I'm not too bothered. I do like to keep it clean though. Cufflinks and metal cuff buttons on a gig jacket meant I had to actually sand smooth some of the worst on the forearm chamfer.
Now it's all actual real life mojo wear but in comparison to the finely crafted fake wear on a high end relic it looks like a half arsed ebay special!

I dinged a brand new Les Paul on a table corner at a gig the first week I owned it! I'm not careless with my possessions but these things do happen. My Patrick Eggle guitar has a strap rub mark through the lacquer and stain to the bare wood which I think looks cool.

My Limelight is already relic'd but I'm not fussed if extra mark/dings appear - as is already the case. Similarly my Tokai is 30 years old and has a great collection of scars.

I've always thought that Fenders look good when they're a little roughed up, but Gibsons look better when pristine!

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1453204286' post='2957319']
There just seems to be a bit of an air of "if your basses are in good condition your not playing them enough" creeping into this thread and that's simply not the case :)
[/quote]

Apologies if I gave that impression, not my intention at all. I don't believe there's a correlation between the state of a bass and its owner's playing.

[quote name='Iain' timestamp='1453213513' post='2957455']
I actually went and bought a belt that had no sharp edges that my bass could touch for this reason.
[/quote]

I have no worries on this score - I have a fine selection of tie-up elasticated waistband trousers. They are the height of fashion. :lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453222650' post='2957589']
I have no worries on this score - I have a fine selection of tie-up elasticated waistband trousers. They are the height of fashion. :lol:
[/quote]
[quote name='Musashimonkey' timestamp='1453229297' post='2957682']
Excellent! I was wondering when these would make a come back! {looks through cupboard}
[/quote]

No, he means pyjamas; all the inmates wear 'em (most of the time...) :mellow:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453230047' post='2957693']
I'm not mad, though - I'm totally here by mistake. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! *Stands on one leg and faces east*
[/quote]

Yes, that's right, you're helping the community by posting erudite comments for the benefit of all. Very good; now take just a sip of this to wash down the pink pills and we'll get you tucked up, nice and warm, with fresh straps. No, put that down; we'll have to rinse your hands again, won't we..? Where did you leave your slippers..? Never mind, we'll dig them up again tomorrow. Now then, come along ...

The vast majority of the basses I have owned are second hand and usually already have dings and scratches when I take ownership of them. I actively protect them from further damage, but if it happens then so be it. I would be annoyed if damage happened through my own negligence or carelessness though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1453222650' post='2957589']
[/quote]

*rofl*

Are pyjamas acceptable outside wear?

I take pretty good care of my instruments. They're mostly second-hand and came with their own share of dings and dents anyway, so i'm not that stressed if they get one or two more.

But i try to keep the working bits clean (the hardware, the fretboard etc).

As previously said, they're working instruments not museum pieces, so the reason that some have been played and repaired and bashed about for years is because they're good, gigging instruments.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1453464691' post='2959698']
Bed? Everyone knows [i]Real [/i]musicians sleep on a mate with a jobs sofa... :mellow:
[/quote]

I meant somebody's else's bed, obviously...

Plus, I haven't slept on a mate for ages. Just the current mrs discreet. And I don't see what Steve Jobs' sofa has got to do with it.

[quote name='LayDownThaFunk' timestamp='1453465751' post='2959715']
Didn't some plonker on here say a while back, if you can't treat a bass right then you shouldn't look after children!
[/quote]

To be honest I do tend to take more care of my basses than I do young master discreet, but he can look after himself.

Edited by discreet

The basses I use for my gigs, recordings, rehearsals and general noodling at home are by Gus, Sei and Warwick. Noe of them are inexpensive instruments, but I own them because the play, sound and look how I want my basses to look at therefore they get used.

I'm careful, but not precious with them. They've all picked up the odd mark and here and there. I'm not a fan of the "road worn" or "relic" look so if any of them got too shabby looking I would have no hesitation in getting it refinished. In fact the one of the Gus basses has already gone through exactly that process as I bought it second hand and it had been poorly looked after by its previous owner. Once I'd decided that I was going to keep it, the bass went back to Gus for a full refurb and refinish.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1453171106' post='2957129']
I think it's the highest possible calling for a carefully-crafted inanimate object to be gradually worn out in the heat of battle.

If my Precision finally falls apart at exactly the same time I do, that'll be a result for both of us.
[/quote]

Not if it's the consequence of some drunken punter breaking it over your head because you wouldn't let him have a play on it...

I picked up a heavy music stand last Sunday and the top bit dropped off onto aside of my double bass, putting a very tea crack in it. Being a hollow instrument with it's sound generated by the resonance of the instrument as a whole, this appeared devastating.

I picked it up, played it, realised that it didn't effect the sound and immediately lost all anxiety. I will get it repaired in time but, as long as the instrument 'works', I am not remotely bothered by cosmetic scarring. It's not important.