Why become a member? ×

Natural wear and enjoying your bass

Twincam

I always try to look after my gear, always use a stand etc. I wouldn't deliberately damage any of them but if they do pick up a ding it is part of that proper vintage mojo that many desire over the factory faked look, on stage I play mostly older Fender basses, i think they look better a little run in, on the other hand I would be annoyed if my Warwick picked up a dent as it is still in mint condition.

Bass guitars are just tools, nothing more. They undergo wear when used. But nevertheless they do last a long time... instruments from the early 50s are still doing the rounds. No time at all compared with high-end orchestral instruments of course and I often wonder if electric basses will last for hundreds of years too. No reason why not, really. Also dings and dents can be repaired, electrics replaced, bodies refinished, necks refretted... that was the whole ethos of Leo Fender, he built things so that they could be made cheaply and repaired easily. Could to with a bit more of that kind of thinking in this 'throw it away, it's old' society.

I've just bought a Stringray: it's gorgeous and as it's brand new it's in pristine condition. We've got some pub gigs coming up and I was thinking about leaving the 'Ray safely at home and taking out my Squier Dimension, but reading the comments here, they're absolutely correct. I bought it to play it and that's what I'll do. Obviously I want to avoid dings but if they happen they happen.

I have a nice watch (TAG Heuer Monaco) which I wear everyday, and as a result it it's a bit 'roadworn', so to speak, but rather that than than leave it in a drawer except for special occasions. The same principal applies to instruments I guess.

It's a bit of a paradox, as I hit 'em with sticks, but cymbals cannot be cleaned, or they lose their original sound. The idea, then, is to not get 'em dirty..! To that end, no-one touches my cymbals with their hands. They are in 'cymbags' until placed on their perches; these are removed for playing, then put back on before packing up in their flight case. In our practise room, they're covered unless playing. I occasionally give 'em a wipe down with a lint-free cloth. Some consider these instruments as 'breakables' (and I'll admit to having broken a few in my time...), but they'll last decades if handled correctly. They won't be worth tuppence if abused, and would cost a few thousand to replace. Some of mine can no longer be replaced, as no longer made, so I'm very careful with 'em.
My drums have been many times around France since new, 40 years ago. They've been 'upgraded' several times, with rim mounts on the toms, and new bass drum hoops; in general, though, they are quite presentable from a distance, and not [i]too [/i]scarred close up. The important parts (the bearing edges...) are, of course, impeccable.
All instruments have a certain lifespan, which can be greatly extended by careful handling and judicious renovation. Expendables, such as drum heads, sticks (to a lesser extent...), plectrums etc are a different affair, but an instrument worth playing is worth looking after. My main bass and guitars are coming up to a half-century; I'll see to it that they are in fit state to go the whole way, and more yet. They'll outlive me, that's certain, but I'm sure our lads will take 'em further yet. I'm not the ideal consumer, by a long chalk.

My double bass has at least 100 years on it and has had years of running repairs though never a full restoration job. If it gets scratched or chipped I'm barely going to notice and if anything bigger happens insurance should cover the repairs. I like the thought that it's been a useful, working instrument for so long, so I try not to be shy about taking instruments out and using them.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1453122922' post='2956512']
I feel slightly torn between babying a bass and just enjoying playing and liking natural wear and tear.

Even on older basses with plenty of marks I worry about marking them and I dare say even a factory worn bass I would be the same.
On the other hand I do like seeing a well worn instrument.

This makes me only look for certain basses that resist wear well or/and will look good when worn.

Anyone else think like this?. I really just want to just own any bass and feel comfortable using them fully.
[/quote]

I purchased an *expensive German made Hofner Club bass last year. It became road worn after it's first gig. My belt buckle tore up the thin coat of varnish.

Looks cool as he'll.

Blue

*Expensive for me.

Edited by blue

I always treat my instruments with care and do what I can to keep them as pristine as possible. That said there is a beauty in an instrument that is well worn from years of making music with it. I agree with a previous poster that worn paint looks better than worn natural wood, but I think if natural wood is really badly worn then it kind of looks good again. I have a strat that I used almost exclusively since 1992 and molly coddled that guitar to keep it looking good. It does but if you get close to it you can see some mojo from it's travels. Like others there are some basses I would not take to small pub gigs that did not have a decent sized stage that was not easily accessible to drunken revellers.

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1453171106' post='2957129']
I think it's the highest possible calling for a carefully-crafted inanimate object to be gradually worn out in the heat of battle.

If my Precision finally falls apart at exactly the same time I do, that'll be a result for both of us.
[/quote]

Battle ? I wouldn't fancy any of your gigs 😄.

I always look after my gear, but it is there to be used. My new Roscoe is treated the same way as my other guitars. They each leave the house when needed and are played as if any instrument. The only concession to the Roscoe was the purchase of an expensive padded gig bag to carry it about.

I recently wondered whether I should retire my main instrument, my 76 Precision to preserve it, and buy a replacement gigging one. But then I wondered who I was doing it for (the kids' inheritance?). It's valuable, yes, and beautiful, yes, but it's real beauty is as a functioning musical instrument - and boy I love the way it sounds!

I look after it well, take it out of the case after everything else is set up, put it away straight away after the encore (hopefully there's an encore). We're both getting a little tatty, but we've been gigging together for 35 years now - that bass and me. I've no intention of giving up the music and the P is going to keep going to the end of the road alongside me. it's never actually spoken to me because I'm not completely mad yet, but if it could, I'm sure it would want to be there with me on stage.

By the way, if it does speak to me, I may keep quiet about it!

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1453139078' post='2956778']
I think my basses are works of art, and I take good care of them: they don't get buckle rash because I don't wear buckles or sharp crap when I put a bass on, but if they get accidentally dinged, it happens. The first ding's the worst... I guess most of them could be described as 'boutique', but I've never hesitated to take them anywhere to gig, and I never would. I enjoy them, and I don't worry about them.
[/quote]

Didn't mr Stewart say "The first ding is the deepest"

The 'gift' of any instrument is surely the music it makes, not what it looks like. Keeping a bass - or anything really - 'for best' and only rarely used in favour of a 'lesser' bass just means you're depriving yourself. A bit like owning fine china but only using it for special occasions. What's the point? Use it everyday and enjoy it as much as possible. The music is more important than the gear, for me anyway.

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1453202180' post='2957285']
Use it everyday and enjoy it as much as possible.
[/quote]

You can use a bass every day and still look after it though :)

My basses have fret wear etc as they are played a lot but I keep them free of dents and buckle rash etc by being careful with them.

Can't say that looking after my gear impairs my enjoyment of playing in anyway. I don't even really think about it, looking after my stuff is just second nature.

Edited by CamdenRob

People should feel free to do whatever pleases them with their instruments. If you have a bass worth £300 or £3000, whether you choose to smash it to kindling or mount it on a wall behind bulletproof glass, is totally up to you. As I said earlier, people spend a lot more on purely ornamental stuff all the time (and if you think they don't, have a look at some of your neighbours gardens).

It's about what you [i]want[/i] to do with it. If you want to play it but end up locking it up in a bank vault, that's a real shame. If you bought it to play it, then play it! Otherwise, in a couple of years, there'll be an ad in the BassChat marketplace with your name at the top. for a beautiful bass being sold because it just isn't being played, and that's a shame because it should be played and you feel guilty for not doing so and it is now time to pass it on to someone who will... Really, how often do you see those ads?

Do you [i]own[/i] the bass for playing, or are you just looking after it for someone else?

[And isn't it typical? I finally post something that people like enough to quote positively and there's a damned typo in it!]

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1453202331' post='2957289']

You can use a bass every day and still look after it though :)

[/quote]

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting active neglect. I look after my two basses and associated gear but a few battle scars are inevitable and I don't lose any sleep over them. Likewise, I don't lose any sleep over the dings and scratches in the back of my car and in my house from regularly carting flight cases around. I'm not a museum curator ;) Edited by 4stringslow

[quote name='4stringslow' timestamp='1453203721' post='2957306']
Agreed. I wasn't suggesting active neglect. I look after my two basses and associated gear but a few battle scars are inevitable and I don't lose any sleep over them. Likewise, I don't lose any sleep over the dings and scratches in the back of my car and in my house from regularly carting flight cases around. I'm not a museum curator ;)
[/quote]

Yeah of course, basses can pick up a few dings along the way (so I'm told anyway, none of mine ever have) I can understand accidents happen :)

There just seems to be a bit of an air of "if your basses are in good condition your not playing them enough" creeping into this thread and that's simply not the case :)

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1453171106' post='2957129']
I think it's the highest possible calling for a carefully-crafted inanimate object to be gradually worn out in the heat of battle.

If my Precision finally falls apart at exactly the same time I do, that'll be a result for both of us.
[/quote]

Make your mind up - is it a carefully crafted object or is it a Precision?

Most of the basses I have, (and have ever had) cost more than any car I have ever owned, and like my cars I would sooner buy second hand. Of the many things I want from a bass... Make, model, colour, passive/active, weight, balance, age, pickups, cost etc, the one that concerns me least is a few clunks and bumps on it.( A bit of wear and tear also acts as a great bartering tool.) As long as it is not a complete nail, the neck is straight and true and it looks like genuine wear as opposed to a DIY job, then I am cool with it..