Why become a member? ×

Natural wear and enjoying your bass

Twincam

I have a 32-year-old Wal Mk1 up for sale ATM. It plays and sounds fabulous, but is a bit 'lived-in' - not in a major way but all the same... It was like this when I bought it around 12 years ago. I have always treated it carefully and with respect (and had it serviced at The Bass Gallery twice just to make sure everything was still in order), but I guess it is possible that I've added slightly to the look as it currently, er, looks.

Here's the thing: I currently have interest from an American source, but the interested party is expressing disquiet about what he sees as the 'state' of the bass. He's arguing that he'll need to pay hundreds of pounds for a refinish (and having checked his home forum site it seems that he originally wanted to paint over the body, Wenge facings and all - in black IIRC). Since first listing it I've dropped the price twice and am unwilling to drop it further. TBH it's not a mindset I understand - my take is that it is what it is, warts 'n' all. Views on this perspective will be welcome of course.

Although obviously I'd like to sell it, I'd also like to think that it's new owner will accept it for what it is and learn to love it's 'character' (or at the very least not try to use that as a bargaining chip to get me to knock hundreds of pounds off the asking price). I don't have any particular call on the proceeds from any sale so I can afford to stick it out, and take it off the market for a few years if I need to. My judgement is that it will be worth a good bit more (even in it's current 'state') with the passage of time and an improved selling environment, and that it's 'state' will prove little or no barrier to it's increasing value. Opinions on this perspective will be welcome as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I take the best care I can of my basses, but as others have said, they are working instruments / tools
and so a certain amount of knocks, dings & scrapes are expected, over a period of time....
However, when an instrument is new (at least to me) - I do tend to fret over it a bit more
I once had a mint condition unmentionable, and I was just too overcautious about gigging it
Partly cos, on its' first outing, our singer had caught his foot on a cable, which pulled over a cymbal stand - narrowly missing the bass!

I previously didn't particularly see why anyone might buy a Roadworn or reliced bass
But after trying a RW Jazz (and buying it immediately) - I suddenly saw the merit on having a bass with knocks, scrapes & dings already in place. I still take care of it, of course - but there's something quite liberating about not having to be too precious about your guitar at a gig

A mate who works in a guitar shop says it's funny how some brands of bass & guitar sell well, despite or because of wear & tear (eg Fender). Whereas some brands simply won't sell if they have even the slightest scratch. He always cites PRS as an example of this

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1454935765' post='2974303']

A mate who works in a guitar shop says it's funny how some brands of bass & guitar sell well, despite or because of wear & tear (eg Fender). Whereas some brands simply won't sell if they have even the slightest scratch. He always cites PRS as an example of this
[/quote]

It's beginning to look like Wal may be another... :unsure:

It is true some basses sell almost as well with wear and tear. I think it's a combination of design, some simply look good with that mojo and second is that romantic view of mojo and players of yesteryear, which brings up a few brands but Fender is at the top, there designs look strangely good with patina and they have that romanticised past appeal.

It's funny but since starting this thread I've started to more and more like natural playing wear and tear (not abuse). Also started to like pre roadwork, reliced etc etc much more.

[quote name='Twincam' timestamp='1455031645' post='2975208']
It is true some basses sell almost as well with wear and tear.....

It's funny but since starting this thread I've started to more and more like natural playing wear and tear (not abuse). Also started to like pre roadwork, reliced etc etc much more.
[/quote]

Yes, roadwear / relicing does seem to look better on Fenders, and I can't work out why
Is it at least partly down to marketing? Or is there something in the overall design or shape? Do we convince ourselves of this? And is that because we have seen so many well known players, with roadworn instruments?

You have started to like "pre-reliced" instruments - but of course, it all depends on just how well it's done. There are plenty of horrific examples around. The Fender Roadworn series are particularly good, as are Limelight basses - although I've seen some of those that IMO have gone "a bit far" That again is all down to taste. I wasn't particularly a fan of relicing, as I've already said - but I can't express just how liberating it is to gig my RW Jazz, as opposed to a mint condition instrument.

I don't know how they've achieved it, but Fender have managed to make the bass feel as if it's worn in (and not worn out, I might add)
The 2 Limelight's I'v e played also felt this way. No amount of sanding on my part could achieve this, I'm sure

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1455033545' post='2975235']

Yes, roadwear / relicing does seem to look better on Fenders, and I can't work out why
Is it at least partly down to marketing? Or is there something in the overall design or shape? Do we convince ourselves of this? And is that because we have seen so many well known players, with roadworn instruments?
[/quote]

Its in the shape yes, all fender guitars/basses and even for the most part amps and cabs have a very classic look, being that they were a huge part of the history of electric instruments. So they take age very well.
And as said fenders among other brands have huge sentimentally attached.
And yes they play on there heritage through marketing.

And yes we do convince ourselves too. Some old instruments do certainly seem too have something about them.