Why become a member? ×

Fake Festivals

JellyKnees

I think the tribute thing started over in Australia a while back because many of the big bands of the time wouldn't go all the way over there to play a couple of shows. So you got the Australian Doors, Pink Floyd etc. etc. Because the people wanted to see these bands play live, but couldn't, the demand was huge for the next best thing. A group of dedicated, and competent musicians playing songs they love.

I've never set out to go see a tribute band either, but I have seen a few and I have to say this. I've seen an Abba tribute, a Queen tribute, an Eagles tribute and a Led Zeppelin tribute - they were all very entertaining indeed. Some were shockingly accurate, others just a bit of fun... I couldn't go and see any of these bands today (even if I wanted to) - certainly not in the original line up, which brings me to another point. There's a lot of original bands still going, but with only one (or in some cases none) of the original members left. So where's the difference?

I think tribute acts (or fake acts if you insist) are a good thing and I think most of the artists they are a tribute to would agree.

I have seen quite a few tribute / faker acts in recent years, Rumours of Fleetwood Mac, an ELO tribute, a brilliant Abba tribute act, the Counterfeit Stones etc all were brilliant, I would happily attend a festival with that line up as, quite simply, I am never going to attend a festival featuring the original artists on the same bill....even if they did play again I wouldn't be able to afford the tickets

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1452879172' post='2954423']
yes I think that's the yardstick I would use, if there's no chance of seeing the original band, the Bootleg Beatles for instance, I've no problem at all with them, but I do feel a little uneasy about Green Day tributes
[/quote]

The brother-in-law of the guitarist in a band I was in a while ago was (is? he said he was stopping so I'm not sure) John Lennon in The Bootleg Beatles, and he apparently started the band. He came to see us play once (and stayed!) had a long chat with my wife and told her about it. The Beatles clearly were never going top play again, and he thought there was a big appetite for them so he put the band together, hired a London theatre and advertised it. They sold out very, very quickly and so he booked the place for another two nights and sold those out as well. The rest, as they say, is history. He reckoned he was about to stop, as he was beginning to find it wearing after having done it for quite a few years.
He saw a market, put a band together, promoted the first gigs with his own money and made a success of it. If that's not something to be applauded (Har Har) then what is?

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1452854456' post='2954057']
One of these events is happening in my local park this summer. Presumably only fake people will be able to attend.

Apparently some lucky local bands will have the privilege of supporting said fakers... sheeesh.
[/quote]

I do fully appreciate your exasperation with this whole concept JellyKnees, it is sad that new music isn't supported in the same way that tributes are, and that they have also now taken over these local park events, but without the support of public money (councils, Arts Council etc.) market forces are always going to prevail.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1452854902' post='2954064']
@oops - Fake festival is usually tribute bands eg "Four Fighters"
[/quote]
I know the Four Fighters – played with the (excellent) drummer in the past and am good mates with the bass player (Geofftheleaf on here). They’re nice guys and a very good band. They play for decent money all over Europe, so there is obviously a demand there.

A couple of the guys are ‘pro’ musicians by any reasonable definition and the Four Fighters makes up a significant part of their income, along with teaching and various other gigs. The singer promoted the first fake festivals around here; risking his own money and fortunately they have been very successful. Apparently they are great fun thru I’ve never managed to get to one.

People here often seem to ask what it takes to be a ‘pro’ musician? Well, playing gigs that pay enough to pay the mortgage is high up on that score and personally I would prefer to play in a decent tribute rather than a corporate function or wedding band…!

I've rarely seen tribute acts but have enjoyed the few I've seen. (Always because I was seeing something else). I've always been tempted to go see the Bootleg Beatles or The Australian Pink Floyd Show. From comments further up, I might be tempted to see Rumours of Fleetwood Mac who are playing in Leicester this year.

But, I can see the problem with the popularity of tribute acts. If there isn't enough support for young musicians to make their way playing original music, then it might wither and die. It seems a bit strange that there might be a limited number of name acts who can write and release their own acts, and then a live scene with too many acts who are just imitating the former. Pop will eat itself, indeed.

Could it be that (dons flat cap) music were better int' old days? and modern music is just sh*te?

Compare Nicki Minaj to Hazel O'Connor.
One Direction to Led Zeppelin.
Any one of a thousand and one identical 'trance djs' to Pink Floyd.

Could this be why a modern music festival wont get punters, yet a tribute festival might?

Discuss.

Better than no festival I'd say...

I get the ideas for and against.

And if we really start to pick at people playing covers/tributes/non originals...isn't playing jazz 'Standards' just the same -
If it was a jazz festival - there would be a healthy number of standards played...

I have done originals, toured the UK and Europe and made very little to no money after 5 years hard at it. We were constant 'nearly' men. And it got tiring.

2015, I earned a decent amount playing Motown and Pop stuff in pubs, clubs, church halls and at weddings etc.

On the whole I enjoy it - and it's a lot less pressured and stressful.

So, if a tribute act were looking and they were busy enough - I wouldn't mind it being my job.

I have played in two. A Kool and the Gang gig which I only did two rehearsals for and a Brit Pop girls gig I even got as far as gigging with. I just can't do it and think it is lame as fcuk.

I don't give a rat's arse whether others like it, learn from it or make money from it, my own thoughts are well known. It's not for me, as a player or spectator (never seen one).

Last summer I depped in a covers band at a local 'Party in the Park' type of event. We went on after a One Direction tribute (backing tracks) and were followed by a Pink tribute (backing tracks). The headliner was a Robbie Williams tribute (full band plus dancers). I enjoyed the experience and would do it again.

I quite like tribute acts to my favourite artists, because I can get to hear my favourite music played live without all the horrors that accompany the real thing (see another thread somewhere). I have no time for backing tracks though, and I have to say the Pink tribute seemed to make no effort to engage with the audience.

As has been said above in so many words, vote with your feet and/or wallet.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, we received quite a few compliments (including one from the chap who booked the acts) on being a 'proper band'.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1452953444' post='2955013']
Could it be that (dons flat cap) music were better int' old days? and modern music is just sh*te?

Compare Nicki Minaj to Hazel O'Connor.
One Direction to Led Zeppelin.
Any one of a thousand and one identical 'trance djs' to Pink Floyd.

Could this be why a modern music festival wont get punters, yet a tribute festival might?

Discuss.
[/quote]

But the modern festivals are huge at the moment, the biggest earner for all the big names. OK, they chuck in some "heritage" acts but they are way outnumbered by those new-fangled outfits that I haven't heard of!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1453022166' post='2955493']
I have played in two. A Kool and the Gang gig which I only did two rehearsals for and a Brit Pop girls gig I even got as far as gigging with. I just can't do it and think it is lame as fcuk.

I don't give a rat's arse whether others like it, learn from it or make money from it, my own thoughts are well known. It's not for me, as a player or spectator (never seen one).
[/quote]

That's fine Bilbo, as long as you understand that lots of people don't give a rats arse for your opinion, respected forum moderator or not. Haters gonna hate. Fcuk 'em and feed 'em rice.

This topic has again brought up the age old debate of covers/tribute v's original bands.
All my playing career I have played in many cover bands and one tribute band, we are just about to start gigging a new covers band in February after a year of not playing and I cannot wait.
There appears to be a musical snobbery that the covers players are deemed to be inferior musicians to the ones playing in original bands, I think this attitude stinks.
For a bass player to perform in a class tribute act doing i.e. Rush, Yes, Steely Dan you need to have a high degree of musical ability, on the other hand to play bass in the majority of "indie" bands, musical ability is way lower down the scale........just stick to the root notes will do.
In response to the fake festival question, I would sooner pay £20 to see Limehouse Lizzy perform than Florence and the Machine who somehow managed to headline "the real festival" Glastonbury, there is certainly no accounting for taste.

Had a great time the year-before-last at Festwich - two days of rock tribute acts. Highlights for me were the FNM and Maiden tributes and sunburn.

If I had time I'd love to spend some time workign on a tribute act - Queen probably. If I had s the skill it'd be Rush! As things stands the bands I'm in are covers bands - one blues--to-rock the other rock-to-metal.

The use of the word 'fake' is a bit odd about tributes - they don't try to pass themselves off as the real deal. The whole topic just seems a little judgemental.

This isn't something to get worked up about. You pays your money and take your choice. Lots of people go these gigs which means that there is demand which means bands will do it. Its easy to get caught up in the technical side of being a muso - PA's, Amps, GAS, Music theory, Guitars, Strings, P Bass vs J Bass and so on but its useful to remember that you are in the entertainment industry.

Personally, going to see a tribute act doesn't appeal but i play (mainly) in a covers band and the difference between the two genres is slight.

I went to see the Bootleg Beatles and found it a strangely unsatisfying experience. Because they weren't[i] Beatles[/i] it didn't seem real to me. That said, the rest of the audience were transfixed, so maybe it was me.
On the flipside, I saw Bowie in a smallish venue in the early 90s and it was an utterly magical experience. Maybe the 'real' artist exudes some magical star quality that the Bootlegs didn't, maybe it was all in my mind. Who knows?

Seems reasonable to me.

I know some people in a tribute act. I wouldn't do it as I like some variety and not having the restrictions, but having seen some tributes and some originals of the same thing, some of the tributes have been better, so I guess it depends if you go to a show to be entertained or not.

Would it actually matter if you didn't know you were seeing the original band or not? How about groups like deep purple or Yes or the like that have hardly any original members - are they tribute bands?

I wouldn't seek any high ground, I play in a cover band and am quite happy with it.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1453045919' post='2955892']
You are in the entertainment industry.
[/quote]

[size=5]+ ∞[/size] To me, entertaining the public is paramount. There are many ways to do this, obviously, but I keep it in the forefront of my mind. Volume, set list, start/finish time, pandering to drunken audience members, etc. is all done with giving people a good time.